Tourist Attractions in Amsterdam

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Amsterdam

• husain's Profile Photo

well...

by husain Updated Nov 21, 2003

I learned that it pays to be alert while travelling... quite literally!

I was on my way back to Delhi by the morning KLM flight. Checked in, been thru passport control, etc etc. An announcement on the PA system- calling out for a voulenteer who would give up his/her seat on the flight today, and get 300 euros, accomodation/ food, and a confirmed ticket for the next days flight...
    Sleepy me couldnt quite figure which flight they were talking about... i ignored it.

The stakes got higher... nobody seemed to have taken the offer up. 350, 450, 500, 600 euros! Plus accomodation etc etc... When it went up to 600, and i finally heard it inside the aircraft after i boarded, i realised it was for the flight i was on! Too late though, by the time my numbed early morning responses showed up, someone two seats up, beat me to it! AAAH!! Lottery!!

I had wanted to spend a few days extra in Amsterdam, couldnt get KLM in Delhi to extend my ticket by a day... now i miss out on this!! Luck:((

Unique Suggestions: Sleep early, stay alert, grab that chance!:P

twelve hrs before making that blunder...;)
    • Business Travel

• orke's Profile Photo

magna plaza

by orke Written Jun 15, 2003

geez i have no idea why someone would like to spend time or money (alot of it) there - just a small but overpriced mall....lol - i dont need to take a flight to get this...but i must say...its a beautifull building..

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Control yourself, girl!

by syllybabe Updated Mar 30, 2003

At the Floriade there was a bridge lined on both sides with these statues.
    Ilse had been telling me she wanted to touch one of them for a pic and I kept laughing and saying no. Finally at the last statue I gave in to her request and quickly snapped the photo but not before other tourists saw her doing it.

Unique Suggestions: I would have touched his bum instead;-)

• Eco-Tourism
    • Theme Park Trips

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Amsterdam is a tourist trap

by ATLC Updated Feb 23, 2003

Awww... don't hit me for saying that!
    As a citizen who is proud of her country, I beg you, don't just visit Amsterdam!

I know, Amsterdam is fun, lively, breathtaking, multicultural and all that. But please explore the width and heigth of this small country where the longest distance that you can drive is only 3 hours.

How about:

-our famous waterworks in the province Zeeland (Neeltje Jans)

-the St. Jan cathedral in 's Hertogenbosch which is of the well known French grandeur, style and size

-national park Hoge Veluwe where you can get free bikes to cycle round and visit St. Hubertus hunting lodge, an example of world famous architecture by Berlage

- one of the world's best zoo's in Emmen (called Noorderdierenpark)

- the typical flat landscape in the province Friesland of true postcard beauty

- little seaside towns like Middelburg, Hellevoetsluis, Brielle, Scheveningen, Zandvoort, Staveren, Harlingen...

- Groninger museum in Groningen (the city is great for a few days out as well)

- Gouda (known for its cheese, although not made there anymore) where you'll find another St. Jan with the largest stained glass collection in the world

- Rotterdam with great nightlife, modern and old architecture, multicultural neighbourhoods, museums and the mighty river Maas

- a tour fortified towns from the Middle Ages in The Netherlands (like my hometown Brielle in Europoort)

- Three country point (Drielandenpunt) down south where you can be in Germany/Belgium and The Netherlands at the same time (if you MUST go abroad!)

- Maastricht with its savoir-vivre and the grottoes and great night- en streetlife and culinary delights.

- shall I go on?

Just visit my travelogues and travelpages about the other Dutch cities!

• A2002's Profile Photo

Buying bottled water.

by A2002 Written Jan 15, 2003

I bought bottled water from the supermarket and it cost me 0.46Euros. When I was thirsty neat Damrak, I went to a shop along Damrak to buy a bottle of water. There's no price tag of the products in that shop manned by an Indian or Pakistani fellow. When I got one, same brand which I have got before to pay, to my surprise, he gonna charge me 2.50 Euros. I would say that is daylight robbery. That is 5 times more that I have paid in a supermarket ! I haven't imagined prices can be that high. If it's doubled I will reconsider, but 5 times certainly not considered.

Unique Suggestions: I am not a very shy person, so I said I dun wan to buy already and put it back and did not buy anything from that shop.

Fun Alternatives: Go to the big supermarket to buy bottled water.

• BlueBerry_7's Profile Photo

Plant Hollywood

by BlueBerry_7 Written Nov 7, 2002

Planet Hollywood is an aweful establishment in Amsterdam. This place needs some serious management problems, the service is soo bad it is unbelieveable, not to mention the food.

Unique Suggestions: Just go to the souviner shop and avoid the restuarant at all costs.

Fun Alternatives: Hard Rock Cafe, excellent staff and serice. The food aint too bad either:))

Planet Hollywood Clogs

• groovy_23's Profile Photo

Beware of restaurant offering gazelle

by groovy_23 Written Sep 18, 2002

For the life of me, I cant remember the name of the restaurant, but they claimed to have authentic dutch food. It was about one street down fromthe leidseplein square (if you are looking straight toward the bulldog it is in roughly the same spot one block behind it...the place is teeny).
    I ordered Gazelle and my husband ordered Kangaroo. Oddly enough, when they came, they both looked and tasted identical....JUST LIKE STEAK! Beware of this place...they tried to scam us on the bill as well.

• lucyguajardo's Profile Photo

Remember that the prices of...

by lucyguajardo Written Sep 12, 2002

Remember that the prices of the hotel, hostel or any place to stay or visit is cheaper in the middle of the week. In the weekend you will find the same places with the double or triple cost.

even the McDonals is expensive!!!! ps: don't eat mc donals at Amsterdam as i did..look for more interesting food (at the coffe shop maybe)...

• fed-up's Profile Photo

It is an ordeal trying to get...

by fed-up Written Aug 26, 2002

It is an ordeal trying to get bottled water in Amsterdam. The first 'Albert Heljn' shop you see (a kind of supermarket) buy about 10 x 1.5 litres of STILL (not sparkling) spring water and carry them straight to your room. They charge 60 cents for each bottle.

I was dying of thirst on the Damrak and in desperation went into one of the souvenir shops. The woman at the till merrily typed in 2 Euros 75 Cents for the bottle (over a 350% markup!)

• Kindberg37's Profile Photo

The biggest museum in...

by Kindberg37 Written Aug 25, 2002

The biggest museum in Amsterdam is the Rijksmuseum, and being the tourist that I am I was excited to go see it. But it was so large that I couldn't find my way around easily, and it just ended up being too much money for what I did see. If you have a lot of time in the city, though, wander through and see what there is. It just wouldn't be my first recommendation for people visiting for a weekend.

• joecooper's Profile Photo

Euro Bar - I should have known...

by joecooper Written Aug 25, 2002

Euro Bar - I should have known better as I was used to the currency, but I got ripped of at the 'Euro Bar' in Dam Square. They charged me almost NLG20 for a beer and a cola! Price should have beeen closer to NLG10. Oh well, it was still cheaper than London!!

• azrael99's Profile Photo

Ok one thing to watch out for....

by azrael99 Updated Aug 24, 2002

Ok one thing to watch out for. Amsterdam is a safe city I think - but and it is a big BUT, while there I think we were offered illegal drugs (cocaine etc) about 5 times or more in the space of about an hour. Have a bit of sense, just say no - if you don't you run the risk of being mugged, ripped off or worse. If you really must try hash then do it in the coffee shops - you can't miss them. Oh and some of them do brilliant G&T's.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Take care of your boat

by nighthawk Written Feb 23, 2003

so it will not sink....but luckily there s some person outthere who can, as this sticker says, make your submarine a boat again.

Rescue

• drmorf's Profile Photo

Not a tourist trap, but you...

by drmorf Written Aug 26, 2002

Not a tourist trap, but you can feel somewhat traped by some of the pedestrian only streets. Don't worry, you can always find your way out!

Amsterdam Hotels

Eden Amsterdam Centre Hotel
Latest: Jul 4, 2014
Banks Mansion Hotel

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Tourist Traps

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
How to define an Amsterdam Tourist Trap? That is hard because half of the tourista look for classic things like a canal boat ride, the flower market and souvenirs, while the other half is here to...
Map of Amsterdam