Tourist Attractions in Amsterdam

Heineken Experience
    by Pijlmans

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Amsterdam

• mazzap's Profile Photo

Chocs, chocs and more chocs!

by mazzap Updated Jan 12, 2006

What a choice! Could you go in and NOT buy some? I couldn't!

I think this shop was called Puccini, but not sure now - it was tucked away in a backstreet alongside a canal somewhere!

Ok, I have to be honest here - they did actually look better than they tasted - but the choosing bit from the amazing display and the aroma inside the shop was very good!!

And don't expect much change from a few Euros for just a couple of chocs either!

Unique Suggestions: Don't let your eyes get bigger than your belly - just buy a couple - they are larger than usual chocs too!!

Fun Alternatives: These are a nice choccy fix if nothing else is around - but don't expect them to compare with Belgian chocs!!

Chocaholic delight!

• davequ's Profile Photo

Mediocre Rijsttaffel for high price @ Indrapura

by davequ Updated Dec 8, 2006

I don't like to do any "tourist trap" tips very often, as I feel it may be unfair, and I may have just had bad timing. But the more I think about it, if it is indeed a "trap" then maybe I can save someone a few Euros, so here goes.

I see Indrapura rated as one of the top rijsttaffels in town a lot on the web. I found it to be disappointing and the most expensive I have ever had.

The evening of 9/19/03 when I ate there, the food was bland (rice tables are supposed to be spicy imho).

The atmosphere was upscale, so that is probably what I was paying for. Nice fixtures and appointments, and a good view out the window at the Rembrandtplein.

But I would prefer Kantjil (see my restaurant tips) or some of the other lesser-appointed places I have been in the past and get a good, spicy rijsttaffel than get what I got, especially when it cost $82 Euros (almost $110 @ current xchange rate) for 2 people.

Just my experience on that particular day in 2003.
    I hope it was just a fluke and if you goto Indrapura you have a great time

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy the view and order cheap.

Fun Alternatives: I have 3 other restaurants listed on my pages under restaurants tab:
    Daves ADam restaurant recommendations

I've also heard Puri Mas is very good, but it's hard to get to them all.

Besides, upon reflection, I think your first Rijsttaffel is always your best if it is at a good place like Kantjil & de Tijger.

overpriced

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Control yourself, girl!

by syllybabe Updated Mar 30, 2003

At the Floriade there was a bridge lined on both sides with these statues.
    Ilse had been telling me she wanted to touch one of them for a pic and I kept laughing and saying no. Finally at the last statue I gave in to her request and quickly snapped the photo but not before other tourists saw her doing it.

Unique Suggestions: I would have touched his bum instead;-)

• Eco-Tourism
    • Theme Park Trips

• jo104's Profile Photo

FEBO

by jo104 Written Jul 26, 2007

These fast food outlets, recognisable by their yellow signage, are all over Amsterdam but please if you value your health you will resist. All of FEBO's food is deep fried and made up of who knows what cuts of meat mixed with fat served in a vending machine.

The food is placed inside a clear window box the idea being you can view what you wish to purchase but it normally looks unappetising enough. Of course in English culture a kebab is the drunken food of choice for late night munchies so this must be the dutch choice.

The choices are various kroket, frikaddel, hamburger & chicken satay most costing around Euro 1.50 a snack.

Unique Suggestions: My advice is stay away rather buy a hot dog from a street vendor these are delicious or if you must buy kroket purchase them from a reputable place.

Red Light District FEBO

• Boca24's Profile Photo

Zaanse Schans, Zaandam

by Boca24 Written May 16, 2004

This is a town that has tried to keep its heritage. Its got a host of windmills that you can pay to enter and a wooden shoe factory. Really not alot to do there, and a bit out of the way, when I went there were only a few of the 20 windmills open.

Unique Suggestions: At least go into one of the windmills, its absolutely amazing to see climb through and see how they work. They have a variety, for exmaple one that makes oil, one that makes paint, and one that cuts wood.

www.zaansemolen.nl

• AVOID those Middle Eastern fast food shops

by MrMonkey Written Aug 16, 2007

These places are everywhere, you can see them all over because they have the same menus and the same signs. Avoid them!!! The food might appear cheap, but really, you get less than what you pay for. Nothing here is good and fresh! If you need lunch on the run, best bet is probably the Albert Heijn supermarket OR an actual lunch restaurant.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

The Smallest Art Gallery in Amsterdam (not)

by aaaarrgh Written Jul 6, 2005

Big signs near the Anne Frank Experience point towards the "Smallest Art Gallery in Amsterdam". Which is really a small, plain brick shop/large cupboard with barely passable examples of painting, and souvenirs.

The usual dreadful tat for tourists with no taste!!

Unique Suggestions: Go around the corner to what appears to be the largest ice cream shop in the world(well ok I think the majority of the impressive building is really the Westerkerk, with an ice cream shop stuck on the side, haha)

Fun Alternatives: The Winston Hotel (near the Oudekerk) boasts the 'smallest art gallery in the world', which is actually in the door of their toilet!!

There is also a serious Sunday Art Market in the Spui Square.

kleine kunst

• AuTourDuMonde32's Profile Photo

Hotel Vondel ( Vondelstraat 28-30)

by AuTourDuMonde32 Written Dec 20, 2005

Given 4 stars by the Benelux Travel Bureau, which is graded on a curve...
    This hotel is more of a 2 star exepericence, with the obnoxious staff as the ONLY thing reminiscent of a 4 star hotel..
    They don't even let you hold on to you key! Tell me ONE 4 star hotel that carries this policy...!?

Some of the rooms which I passed as they were being cleaned were of a 2 star status...
    but
    I paid for a room which turned out to be on the top floor/ attic that was originally built as a maids quaters..
    The window was so small that it was eclisped by the 13inch television hanging from the wall!
    It was more of a closet than a room, I honestly, honestly could'nt figure out how they even got the mattress inside of it..
    When I complained, 3 minutes after check in, they were enfuriatingly rude and bluntly told me "too late" with a smirk..
    Further-more, they charged my credit card for drinks which I did not take WITHOUT my signature or consent what so ever...
    I did'nt even stay in the room~!
    I took my bags and my pride and told them to go 'uck themselves...
    I did'nt even know that my card was charged for the drinks until my next statement!

and by the way,
    I researched this place via Hotels.com
    which is a sham in itself..

As long as everyone gets out safely,
    I hope this place burns to the ground...

Unique Suggestions: There are plenty of other options in the area~

and ones which are FAR better priced much less far better accomodating..

Fun Alternatives: Hotel d'Amsterdam
    Tweede Helmerstraat

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

The "IAMSTERDAM" sculpture

by yooperprof Updated Aug 19, 2008

Hey - it's innocuous and harmless - why not get your photo taken at, in front of, or inside - the IAMSTERDAM sign!

It's located on the Museumplein, in between the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, so you are going to be here sooner or later.

Of course, you will join 10,000 other people who have exactly the same idea as you - especially if it's at all a decent day.

Unique Suggestions: There are plenty of other photo opportunities spread through Amsterdam - some of which aren't even cliches!

it fits her to a Are you really?

• BlueBerry_7's Profile Photo

Plant Hollywood

by BlueBerry_7 Written Nov 7, 2002

Planet Hollywood is an aweful establishment in Amsterdam. This place needs some serious management problems, the service is soo bad it is unbelieveable, not to mention the food.

Unique Suggestions: Just go to the souviner shop and avoid the restuarant at all costs.

Fun Alternatives: Hard Rock Cafe, excellent staff and serice. The food aint too bad either:))

Planet Hollywood Clogs

• A2002's Profile Photo

Buying bottled water.

by A2002 Written Jan 15, 2003

I bought bottled water from the supermarket and it cost me 0.46Euros. When I was thirsty neat Damrak, I went to a shop along Damrak to buy a bottle of water. There's no price tag of the products in that shop manned by an Indian or Pakistani fellow. When I got one, same brand which I have got before to pay, to my surprise, he gonna charge me 2.50 Euros. I would say that is daylight robbery. That is 5 times more that I have paid in a supermarket ! I haven't imagined prices can be that high. If it's doubled I will reconsider, but 5 times certainly not considered.

Unique Suggestions: I am not a very shy person, so I said I dun wan to buy already and put it back and did not buy anything from that shop.

Fun Alternatives: Go to the big supermarket to buy bottled water.

• KattenKabinet

by spetro Written Aug 4, 2005

This "museum" of cat art on Herengracht costs five euros for a few rooms of unlabeled cat art. Their Rembrandt is a postcard-sized pencil sketch in which the cat is hardly visible. To top it off the place reeks of cat urine from the resident cats, one or more of which is using the carpeting for a litterbox.

• lucyguajardo's Profile Photo

Remember that the prices of...

by lucyguajardo Written Sep 12, 2002

Remember that the prices of the hotel, hostel or any place to stay or visit is cheaper in the middle of the week. In the weekend you will find the same places with the double or triple cost.

even the McDonals is expensive!!!! ps: don't eat mc donals at Amsterdam as i did..look for more interesting food (at the coffe shop maybe)...

• groovy_23's Profile Photo

Beware of restaurant offering gazelle

by groovy_23 Written Sep 18, 2002

For the life of me, I cant remember the name of the restaurant, but they claimed to have authentic dutch food. It was about one street down fromthe leidseplein square (if you are looking straight toward the bulldog it is in roughly the same spot one block behind it...the place is teeny).
    I ordered Gazelle and my husband ordered Kangaroo. Oddly enough, when they came, they both looked and tasted identical....JUST LIKE STEAK! Beware of this place...they tried to scam us on the bill as well.

• fed-up's Profile Photo

It is an ordeal trying to get...

by fed-up Written Aug 26, 2002

It is an ordeal trying to get bottled water in Amsterdam. The first 'Albert Heljn' shop you see (a kind of supermarket) buy about 10 x 1.5 litres of STILL (not sparkling) spring water and carry them straight to your room. They charge 60 cents for each bottle.

I was dying of thirst on the Damrak and in desperation went into one of the souvenir shops. The woman at the till merrily typed in 2 Euros 75 Cents for the bottle (over a 350% markup!)

Amsterdam Hotels

Latest: Jul 15, 2014
The Friendship
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Tourist Traps

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
How to define an Amsterdam Tourist Trap? That is hard because half of the tourista look for classic things like a canal boat ride, the flower market and souvenirs, while the other half is here to...
Map of Amsterdam