Tourist Attractions in Amsterdam

Heineken Experience
    by Pijlmans

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Amsterdam

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Amsterdam is a tourist trap

by ATLC Updated Feb 23, 2003

Awww... don't hit me for saying that!
    As a citizen who is proud of her country, I beg you, don't just visit Amsterdam!

I know, Amsterdam is fun, lively, breathtaking, multicultural and all that. But please explore the width and heigth of this small country where the longest distance that you can drive is only 3 hours.

How about:

-our famous waterworks in the province Zeeland (Neeltje Jans)

-the St. Jan cathedral in 's Hertogenbosch which is of the well known French grandeur, style and size

-national park Hoge Veluwe where you can get free bikes to cycle round and visit St. Hubertus hunting lodge, an example of world famous architecture by Berlage

- one of the world's best zoo's in Emmen (called Noorderdierenpark)

- the typical flat landscape in the province Friesland of true postcard beauty

- little seaside towns like Middelburg, Hellevoetsluis, Brielle, Scheveningen, Zandvoort, Staveren, Harlingen...

- Groninger museum in Groningen (the city is great for a few days out as well)

- Gouda (known for its cheese, although not made there anymore) where you'll find another St. Jan with the largest stained glass collection in the world

- Rotterdam with great nightlife, modern and old architecture, multicultural neighbourhoods, museums and the mighty river Maas

- a tour fortified towns from the Middle Ages in The Netherlands (like my hometown Brielle in Europoort)

- Three country point (Drielandenpunt) down south where you can be in Germany/Belgium and The Netherlands at the same time (if you MUST go abroad!)

- Maastricht with its savoir-vivre and the grottoes and great night- en streetlife and culinary delights.

- shall I go on?

Just visit my travelogues and travelpages about the other Dutch cities!

• Kindberg37's Profile Photo

The biggest museum in...

by Kindberg37 Written Aug 25, 2002

The biggest museum in Amsterdam is the Rijksmuseum, and being the tourist that I am I was excited to go see it. But it was so large that I couldn't find my way around easily, and it just ended up being too much money for what I did see. If you have a lot of time in the city, though, wander through and see what there is. It just wouldn't be my first recommendation for people visiting for a weekend.

• joecooper's Profile Photo

Euro Bar - I should have known...

by joecooper Written Aug 25, 2002

Euro Bar - I should have known better as I was used to the currency, but I got ripped of at the 'Euro Bar' in Dam Square. They charged me almost NLG20 for a beer and a cola! Price should have beeen closer to NLG10. Oh well, it was still cheaper than London!!

• azrael99's Profile Photo

Ok one thing to watch out for....

by azrael99 Updated Aug 24, 2002

Ok one thing to watch out for. Amsterdam is a safe city I think - but and it is a big BUT, while there I think we were offered illegal drugs (cocaine etc) about 5 times or more in the space of about an hour. Have a bit of sense, just say no - if you don't you run the risk of being mugged, ripped off or worse. If you really must try hash then do it in the coffee shops - you can't miss them. Oh and some of them do brilliant G&T's.

• Heart Broken!!

by perian_princez Updated Apr 21, 2012

This restaurant is owned by thieves! We had to learn this fact at our own expense!Please dont let it also happen to you!
    We niavley went to this novelty restaurant and not only was the food and service of very poor standard but above all we had our video camera stolen from us, vertually in front of our eyes!
    We were the only ones dinning in the restaurant, we had our food and got up to leave and literally before we were 2 metres away realised id left my camera on the table, and went back in to retreive it....it had vanished into thin air within a matter of seconds!!
    I asked the waiter, he looked at me very strangley and said he had not seen a camera!! The manager then came over and shouted at me in a very threatening way and repeated the the same as what the waiter had said and ushered us to leave!!

Unique Suggestions: To say the least we were heart broken as our camera had sentimental footage sorted on it. Anyway please avoid going to this place....unless you strap all your belongings to yourself!!

Fun Alternatives: Aoid this place like the plague! Daarbaand persian restaurant, Amsterdam.

• Women's Travel

• PeteP51D's Profile Photo

Techno Music

by PeteP51D Updated Jan 8, 2004

Here's a poster I saw advertising what may or may not be for Techno music,whatever that endless looped /drum machine based stuff is.`. I lean more towards reggae/latin jazz flavors. Anyway, it's only my opinion of the stuff.

• ashishashar's Profile Photo

Getting into Holland

by ashishashar Updated Feb 11, 2005

I went to India through Amsterdam because I wanted to visit the beautiful country of Holland and took a 7 hour stopover. But I was not allowed entry into the city because I did not have a visa, inspite of the fact that I am a landed Canadian Immigrant. All I wanted to do was take the 2 hours city tour.

Unique Suggestions: Get a visa!

Fun Alternatives: Take a trip in the airport! There is a casino and a museum to entertain you.

• Museum Visits
    • Casino and Gambling

• Dubinskyi's Profile Photo

Smartshops

by Dubinskyi Written Jan 23, 2007

Hey guys, if u will ever visit a smartshop DO NOT try anithing called herbal extracts. For example I was trying to understand the difference between Liquid C (they are saying, this *** gives u a coke feeling) and Liquid X (XTC-like). There is NO difference! It contains a LOT of coffeine and can give u a heart attack.

Unique Suggestions: Eat a lot of sugar, and a glass of whiskey - it helped me. May be it will help u...

Fun Alternatives: Better try a couple of Red Bull or, at least, take a mushroom. But *** this liquid extracts!

• mangomangu's Profile Photo

You should have known

by mangomangu Written Apr 5, 2007

While Amsterdam is a city tailor made for the cyclists, it has it's own pitfalls. Once you land up in Amsterdam you might be fooled into believing that cycling is the national sport, but it isn't so. Cycle theft is the national sport. You might buy a 60 eruos second hand cycle and might end up investing another 60 euros or more just for the 'secure' locks.
    You might be approached by a total stranger on a cycle offering his ride to you for 10 euros. You might even get tempted to take his offer given your short stay and the flip side of higher daily rents for cycles. But don't. If caught, you are at equal fault as the thief and the penalty is not very pretty. Plus when the buying stops, the stealing too will stop.

Fun Alternatives: Don't ever indulge in or entertain such anti-social elements

• Cycling

• Calling using credit card option in public phones

by fxsalsi Written Sep 15, 2007

Do not even think about using the credit card option which let's you place a phone call using your credit card from public telephones in Amsterdam airport. I just recevived the bill, a 15-second call ( I left a message on an answering machine) to a number in the US cost me 21,65 euros. The telephone company running this scam is infona.com (http://www.infonaa.com) and the number one has to call in the Netherlands to use their "service" is 00-800-99461355.

Fabio

Fun Alternatives: Buy a telephone card from a newsstand even if it cost ten euros and you wil use only part of the credit it will surely be cheaper than using your credit card or just use coins if you have them.

• husain's Profile Photo

well...

by husain Updated Nov 21, 2003

I learned that it pays to be alert while travelling... quite literally!

I was on my way back to Delhi by the morning KLM flight. Checked in, been thru passport control, etc etc. An announcement on the PA system- calling out for a voulenteer who would give up his/her seat on the flight today, and get 300 euros, accomodation/ food, and a confirmed ticket for the next days flight...
    Sleepy me couldnt quite figure which flight they were talking about... i ignored it.

The stakes got higher... nobody seemed to have taken the offer up. 350, 450, 500, 600 euros! Plus accomodation etc etc... When it went up to 600, and i finally heard it inside the aircraft after i boarded, i realised it was for the flight i was on! Too late though, by the time my numbed early morning responses showed up, someone two seats up, beat me to it! AAAH!! Lottery!!

I had wanted to spend a few days extra in Amsterdam, couldnt get KLM in Delhi to extend my ticket by a day... now i miss out on this!! Luck:((

Unique Suggestions: Sleep early, stay alert, grab that chance!:P

• Business Travel

• orke's Profile Photo

magna plaza

by orke Written Jun 15, 2003

geez i have no idea why someone would like to spend time or money (alot of it) there - just a small but overpriced mall....lol - i dont need to take a flight to get this...but i must say...its a beautifull building..

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Take care of your boat

by nighthawk Written Feb 23, 2003

so it will not sink....but luckily there s some person outthere who can, as this sticker says, make your submarine a boat again.

• drmorf's Profile Photo

Not a tourist trap, but you...

by drmorf Written Aug 26, 2002

Not a tourist trap, but you can feel somewhat traped by some of the pedestrian only streets. Don't worry, you can always find your way out!

Amsterdam Hotels

1 Review & Opinion
Hostel Lum 'n Abner
Latest: Jul 29, 2009

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Tourist Traps

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
How to define an Amsterdam Tourist Trap? That is hard because half of the tourista look for classic things like a canal boat ride, the flower market and souvenirs, while the other half is here to...
Map of Amsterdam

Amsterdam Members Meetings

Jun 13, 2014
Maryimelda is finally coming to Amsterdam
May 18, 2015