Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam

Know about this?

• Stedelijk Museum
    by Aisha
  • Chagall's Self Portrait with Seven Fingers.
    Chagall's Self Portrait with Seven...
    by Paul2001
  • Paul2001's Profile Photo

Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art.

by Paul2001 Updated Aug 21, 2006

Chagall's Self Portrait with Seven Fingers.

I am still trying to figure out just why I did not like this museum. The Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art is said to be one of the most collections of Modern Art in the world. For the fact that I in fact like Modern Art, I was actually was looking forward to visiting this gallery. For reasons that a hard to explain, I found what was on exhibit here to be rather tedious. Perhaps because I have seen better such collections elsewhere, or for the fact that I had just toured the Van Gogh Museum next door that morning and was rather tired, there was little here that inspired me on an intellectual basis as conceptual art is suppose to. Most of the works, in particular by contemporary Dutch artist seemed me to be bland and not the least bit clever.
    If you want to have a look for yourself, and consider that what I just said is just one person's opinion and heck I might just have been in a surly mood, then give the Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art a try on your own. It's permanent begins with art from the late 19th century and extend into contemporary times and is quite large. It consists of over 100,000 objects. I understand most of it is on display in the summer months of July and August(I visited in September).
    Finally if you have actually no interest in Modern Art what so ever then definitely skip this place. This is not a museum that you should tour if you find Modern Art to be intimidating or alienating which unfortunately most people do.

Unique Suggestions: Inspite of what I have said above there are some interesting pieces that could make your visit to the Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art worth your time. They include some very good works by Chagall, Picasso and Mondrian.
    The museum is located at Paulus Potterstraat 13 in the Museum Quarter.

Fun Alternatives: If you think that you might like to expand your mind and give Modern art a try then visit another one of the great collections in Europe. The Musee National d'Art Moderne in Paris is probably the best I have visited.

• Museum Visits

• OlafS's Profile Photo

Stedelijk Museum

by OlafS Updated Aug 19, 2004

I don't mind modern art, actually I like it more than "old" art, but I think this place is a waste of time and money. Sure, they have a few nice pieces, works by Cezanne, Chagall, Monet and Picasso for example, but too much of the collection is junk that used to be 'trendy' but has lots its value by today's standards. If you must go to a museum, I recommend you to go elsewhere.
    Anyway, this place will be temporarily closing for several years soon to undergo some rebuilding. Exhibitions will be held in the Nieuwe Kerk.

(Oh, and guess what? I made the mistake of going here twice! Why I gave this place a second chance is beyond me.)

Fun Alternatives: I've heard the Van Gogh museum is nice.

• Museum Visits

• Aisha's Profile Photo

The only thing I didn't like...

by Aisha Updated Aug 24, 2002

The only thing I didn't like was Stedelijk Museum. You can find some of the worst painting of Van Gogh and Monet. I don't like modern arts, and here you can see a 'paint' of an unique colours (it seems when you go to choose the colour of you sofa and the seller shows you the tissues :-) There is only a beautiful paint, but I suppose you have murales too where you live, isn't it? Anyway, the 'painting' in this museum are all as follows (PAINTING OR MISTAKES?????):

Instant Answers: Amsterdam