Car & Parking, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Heinekenplein Parking Garage entrance
    Coentunnel
    Coentunnel - South entrance at 50 km/hr
  • Parking tip for Amsterdam

by bram74 Written Apr 8, 2014

The first time I went to Amsterdam it was quite tricky to find affordable parking. Public garages and street parking is just too expensive!

I also had a problem to pay because the machine didn’t accept my credit card.
    Recently, a friend told me about online searching/booking website Mobypark: http://bit.ly/1sw3Wa3

They have parking from hotels and other types of companies at fair prices. Also, you can choose whether you want long- or short-term parking and book your spot in advance so you don’t worry about it. You can find parking in several locations in the city, including the airport area (where I parked). The best part: you can pay online or from your mobile phone (no chipnick required!)

I hope this helps, it saved me a lot of time of driving around and searching for fair price parking.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Travelling with (young) kids.

by Jerelis Written Nov 15, 2012

Are you nervous about taking your baby or child on a plane trip? You aren't alone, most parents are nervous about it. We have moved with the kids to Alkmaar by car this holiday and drove some distances by car on when we were there and we learned a few things that hopefully will help you.

General:
    Bring books, old favourite toys and new surprise toys. Do remember that balls are not a good idea as they can end up anywhere! Our best buys were definitely books, especially sticker books are great! They can peel the stickers off, are glossy, have thick pages to turn easy, have bright colours and come in endless subjects. They're a nice break from the other books your child might be tired of, too. Put aside fears of setting poor eating habits, and bring on the snacks! We told Iris: “Welcome to the world of boredom eating."

Car:
    Toy bars meant for stroller use are a big help in the car, as they often feature toys plus a snack cup, and are big and easy for you to grab from the front seat for refills. During the car trip it’s always a good idea to play a game and sing some songs. It sounds rather easy, but it does work!

Finally:
    We only have one last statement! Just do it! Don’t be afraid that it might go wrong. We have learned this, because we have been travelling with Iris from the beginning. She was only 6 weeks young when we had our first short vacation and stayed in a hotel. Iris has been used to it rather fast and (maybe because of it) has always been an easy kid to get along with.

• Motorcycle

• PatrickV9's Profile Photo

Trip to Amsterdam by car

by PatrickV9 Written Jul 17, 2012

You can park your car for € 20, - per 24 hours. This car park is located in Amsterdam city center and is very easy to reach. You need this parking reservation 24 hours before your arrival. Pay with iDeal or Credit Card.

Je kunt hier je auto parkeren voor € 20,- per 24 uur. Deze parkeergarage ligt midden in Amsterdam centrum en is zeer goed te bereiken. Je moet deze parkeerplaats reserveren 24 uur voor je aankomst. Betalen met iDeal of Credit Card.

• Museum Visits

Access by car

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jan 8, 2012

IJtunnel

If you want to come by car to the center Amsterdam enter via the North and use the IJtunnel. Remember, there are few parking spots and they are expensive!

Amsterdam Road works map.

• Luxury Travel

• handy tip for parking in Amsterdam centre

by 19Lisa88 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is for the people who want or have no choice to go by car to Amsterdam

Anyway I have found that Amsterdam is getting worse and worse with parking. I visited Amsterdam a few times and nearly gave up on driving to Amsterdam by car. Until I discovered that some Hotels do valet parking. My car was picked up at the Hotel, and the next day when I needed my car, the Hotel phoned the company and half an hour later my car was in front of the door and ready for me to go. The company is called The Parking Company. their was a flyer in my car and the website to check out was....
    parkingcompanyamsterdam.nl.
    Only I think the website wasn't in english yet, but maybe that has changed, and otherwise you can phone. I do know is that you have to make reservations.

Anyway I loved the service, I didn't need to worry about any wheelclamps, or loosing the way to my car, or have someone smash a window in. The price was reasonable seeing they pickup and bring back your car.

• Luxury Travel

Leidseplein/Nightlife Parking

by pieter_jan_v Updated Apr 4, 2011

Europarking at the Marnixstraat

If you want to attend a late night show or spend some nightlife at the Leidseplein area, park at the Europarking.
    The garage has 700 spaces and is well guarded.
    From there it's just a 10 minutes walk to the Leidseplein.

Street address: Marnixstraat 250 - 1016 TL Amsterdam (Oppositie the Police Headquarter).

Business hours:
    Ma-We: 6.30AM - 1AM following day
    Tu - Sa: daily (24 hours opened)
    Su: 7AM - 1AM following day

Parking fee: Euro 2,80 per hour (VISA/MASTERCARD accepted)

• Danalia's Profile Photo

Rent a car

by Danalia Written Jan 18, 2011

While I spent my one month in Amsterdam, we decided to rent a car so we can also travel out of the city
    Even though almost all the citizens of Amsterdam are using the bicycle , a bad rider like us couldn't take the chance.
    We traveled mostly out of town, but when we decided to go back to the city and visit museums and etc' - we returned the car back to agent.
    Amsterdam itself doesn't justify using a car better use your legs :)

• dila's Profile Photo

cheap or free parking

by dila Updated Jul 27, 2010

update 2010
    The Park and Ride (P+R) parking facilities are located on the outskirts of Amsterdam near the ring A-10. then continue your visit using metro, tram or bus connections with the centre of Amsterdam.
    I think some things are not correct on the site as i see people get 2 tickets with 2 X 1 hours max for 2 persons.This are chipcards so you need to check in and when you leave check out.
    Check in you read a date check out tot ziens means goodbye
    But the locations will be the same
    think the site have some good tips i dont know about as i dont have a car.

• Car Hire Amsterdam Central Station

by devonb Updated Apr 30, 2010

I beleive this is a new location for Vizivo Car Hire at the Amsterdam Central Station. You can book online and it is instant. I did it yesterday and within 20 mins I was at the counter collecting my car, pretty cool service. You may want to add GPS as well as an optional extra, as I didn't know my way around the city at all. The online booking company are (http://www.vizivo.com)

Parking at Heineken Experience/Albert Cuyp

by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 19, 2009

Heinekenplein Parking Garage entrance

One of the lesser known, but for some occasions better used Parking Garage is the Heinekenplein one.

The building is located at the 1e Van de Helsstraat 6 - 1072 NV Amsterdam, a sidestreet of the Stadshouderskade at only one block from the Albert Cuyp street market.
    The Heineke Brewery is at 5 minutes walking; the Carré Theater is at 15 minutes walking.

Beware, the entrance is rather narrow and so is the corner at the top of the entrance ramp.
    Limited height = 2 meters.

Opening times:
    Mo-We: 7AM - Midnight
    Th-Sa: 7AM - 2AM
    Su: 9Am - 9PM

Tarif: € 3,00 per 60 minutes. Maximum day tarif € 30,00.

• Motorcycle

Coentunnel

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 5, 2008

Coentunnel - South entrance at 50 km/hr

The Coentunnel is part of the A10 Ring highway and is (in)famous for its daily traffic jams.

The tunnel is a link between the South (Trafic form Utrecht and Schiphol) to destinations at the North of Amsterdam.

Possible other options are the Wijker- and Velser tunnels North of Haarlem or the Zeeburgertunnel at the East of Amsterdam or the IJtunnel at the center of Amsterdam.

All these tunnels go underneath the Northsea channel from IJmuiden to the IJsselmeer.

There are plans for a 2nd tunnel to be opened in 2012.

• Adventure Travel

• MBDVB's Profile Photo

Rent a GPS for driving

by MBDVB Updated May 1, 2008

If you have the opportunity, I suggest getting a GPS as an option if you are renting a car. Worked very well for our trip to Bruges last November. I believe Hertz has GPS as an option, and they are located on Overtoom.
    Have a great trip!

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Is that really an automobile?

by flyingscot4 Updated Oct 14, 2007

This is last year's model

No Mildred, all cars don't look alike. Some are big, some are small, some are boxy, some are stylistic. In Europe gasoline is between two and three times as much as we pay here. In most places now it costs about $6.00 per gallon. Most of the European community is interested in fuel economy. In the Netherlands the taxes on their automobiles are based on weight, horsepower, and the type of fuel used. The taxes are very high. Anyway, in order to have really good fuel economy the manufacturers have developed more efficient engines, lighter cars by the use of different materials, and smaller cars. True, there are still the big Jaguars, Mercedes, BMWs, and many others. There is even a small market for some of our gas guzzlers. But most of the Dutch people drive small cars and also use their bikes for local travel. There is a lesson there someplace.

These are photos of some of the cars you will see around Amsterdam.

Note: Please notice the railing behind the small truck. That is what usually keeps cars out of the canals. Sometimes it doesn't, and the fire brigade comes and fishes the drowned car out of the canal for about 1500 Euros. Apparently, if the driver remains with the vehicle, there is no charge.

• Eco-Tourism

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

car

by el_ruso Written Aug 29, 2007

We parked in a large parking lot underneath the main train station. While the location is very convenient, the parking was very expensive! I paid close to US$25 for half-a-day.

Just follow signs when you get to the center, and you will find this parking lot. There are others in the suburbs that offer you an option of park-and-ride and a reduced price, but you have to know where they are.

Roads in the Netherlands are excellent, and the highways are superb, but the drivers tend to drive a lot slower on average than in Belgium. Also we got into a couple of traffic jams on the way to Amsterdam which robbed us of some sightseeing time. If all you want to see in the Netherlands is Amsterdam, I would recommend taking a train.

Bicycles actually do not interfere much with cars because they have their own lane - a very smart solution. Do stop at the unregulated pedestrian crossings because the Dutch do, and the pedestrians who are crossing the street will expect you to. The Dutch are very polite when driving.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

So You Think You Can't Do Without Your Car?

by johngayton Updated Dec 21, 2006

Walking From Cartier! (bottom left)

Amsterdam just has to be the easiest city I have ever visited for getting around without driving. Within the city centre itself, everything is walkable: for a little further afield; cycleable, and if you are a lazy sod like me then the combination of trams, buses, canal buses, metro, local and other trains, plus the more esoteric transport options, such as bike taxis or the IJ ferries, make the entire city immediately accessible.

Not only are all these options available but are simplicity themselves to use if you follow the advice here and elsewhere on the site. One of the really impressive things about the public transport network here is that it is a network, everything is integrated, one ticket fits all the main modes: bus metro and tram and these all complement each other.

Centraal Station, where most people will arrive, is the hub of the whole system with pretty much everything propagating from there to all four corners of the miniverse.

And if the worst comes to the worst - ie, either you have no idea where you are supposed to be going, you are drunk or you have brought all your household possessions with you (don't forget that even in Amsterdam the hotels actually provide at least a sink!), then there are always the taxis - that's why they are expensive folks, not that much business to go around given the other options!

• Beer Tasting