Car & Parking, Amsterdam

Our Renault Captur
    by LoriPori
    Zeeburger tunnel (A10 ring highway)
    by pieter_jan_v
  • "Stekkeren" at Amsterdam
    by pieter_jan_v

Know about this? Rate It!

Parking on the streets

by pieter_jan_v Updated Nov 8, 2015

Parking on the streets is not something I would recommend. Still, when it's outside of the city center it can be an alternative. Parking tariffs differ much depending on which part of town you are. Don't count on free parking; those places are very rare.

PArking meters are everywhere and so are the parking officers, who check the parking validity of parked vehicles. Be aware that parking fines are high, especial when your vehicle has been towed away.

Parking meter - Amsterdam Parking meter - Amsterdam Parking meter - Amsterdam
    • Adventure Travel

Coentunnel

by pieter_jan_v Updated Nov 8, 2015

The Coentunnel is part of the A10 Ring highway and is (in)famous for its daily traffic jams.

The tunnel is a link between the South (Traffic form Utrecht and Schiphol) to destinations at the North of Amsterdam.

Possible other options are the Wijker- and Velser tunnels North of Haarlem or the Zeeburgertunnel at the East of Amsterdam or the IJtunnel at the center of Amsterdam.

All these tunnels go underneath the Northsea channel from IJmuiden to the IJsselmeer.

A second tunnel opened in 2012 and a new highway A5 is a new and faster way to go to Schiphol or Haarlem.

Coentunnel - South entrance at 50 km/hr Coentunnel
    • Adventure Travel

Charging your electric car

by pieter_jan_v Written Sep 20, 2015

Amsterdam is getting more and more ECO-friendly. The counsel encourages clean fuel transportation. There are many public charge locations for electric cars in the Amsterdam streets.
    Costs are about €0,30 per KWh.

• Photography

Renting a car at Amsterdam

by pieter_jan_v Written Sep 13, 2015

Why rent a car when you only stay at Amsterdam. My recommendation is to not rent a car, because:
    -In the Amsterdam inner city car travel is discouraged (more and more pedestrian areas)
    -Parking spots for parking on the streets and at hotels in the inner city are rare (and costly)
    -Parking is costly (up to Euro 40 per day)
    -There are many alternatives: train, tram, metro, taxi, cycling, walking and even sailing.

Still you might want to rent a car for whatever reason and the first place to do that is upon arrival at the Schiphol Airport; see Schiphol Airport car rental companies. If you have to stay at Amsterdam pick a hotel with parking facilities near the RIng road A10 or close to the Airport. A train- or tram ride to the center of town is less than 20 minutes.

Renting a car at Amsterdam can be a challenge as the companies are not concentrated at one location and depending on what company you will use, you still have to travel into the city.

Enterprise hidden at the rear of Double Tree hotel

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

DOLLAR SCHIPHOL

by LoriPori Written Jun 9, 2015

May 14 to May25, 2015
    We haven't rented a car in years, but for this trip we really needed to, as we were going all over the place - in the Netherlands and to Aachen, Germany for the VT Meet
    Hans did a lot of research before we decided on DOLLAR SCHIPHOL.
    When we arrived at Schiphol, we had to wait for the "Dollar" Shuttle Bus to take us to an off-site office in Hooffdorp which took about 15 minutes.
    They gave us a beautiful Renault Captur which was an automatic and had GPS ( no charge). Most companies charge daily for a GPS so that was a bonus.
    We told them we were going to Germany, so they charged us an extra 50 Euros for the privilege - rip off! The total price for rental was 260 Euros and we had it for about 11 days. We put about 1500 kilometres on it and we brought it back in perfect condition - PHEW!
    By the way, having the GPS was awesome. I programmed it for each trip and it worked out wonderful. I would never drive in Europe without one. But I still brought my maps and did some mapquests just in case the GPS failed.

Our Renault Captur

Amsterdam info at the A1 highway

by pieter_jan_v Updated Sep 28, 2014

If you visit Amsterdam for the first time and entering from the East via the A1 highway, there's an information point at the gas station at Muiden, 10 km before you enter Amsterdam.
    The info area is at the right lane of the highway. During peak hours from the left lane you can take the center "wisselstrook"; a double lane that changes in riding direction dependent on the amount of traffic.

A1 highway at Muiden Highway A1

• bram74's Profile Photo

Alternative parking in Amsterdam

by bram74 Written Apr 16, 2014

Public parking garages and street parking in Amsterdam is just too expensive! Street parking is also very difficult to find. Recently, a friend told me about alternative parking solution in Amsterdam: http://bit.ly/1l6WCfy

This guys have parking from hotels and other types of companies at fair prices. Also, you can choose whether you want long- or short-term parking and book your spot in advance so you don’t worry about it. You can find parking in several locations in the city, including the airport area (where I parked). The best part: you can pay online or from your mobile phone (no chipnick required!)

I hope this helps, it saved me a lot of time of driving around and searching for fair price parking.

• bram74's Profile Photo

Parking tip for Amsterdam

by bram74 Written Apr 8, 2014

The first time I went to Amsterdam it was quite tricky to find affordable parking. Public garages and street parking is just too expensive!

I also had a problem to pay because the machine didn’t accept my credit card.
    Recently, a friend told me about online searching/booking website Mobypark: http://bit.ly/1sw3Wa3

They have parking from hotels and other types of companies at fair prices. Also, you can choose whether you want long- or short-term parking and book your spot in advance so you don’t worry about it. You can find parking in several locations in the city, including the airport area (where I parked). The best part: you can pay online or from your mobile phone (no chipnick required!)

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Travelling with (young) kids.

by Jerelis Written Nov 15, 2012

Are you nervous about taking your baby or child on a plane trip? You aren't alone, most parents are nervous about it. We have moved with the kids to Alkmaar by car this holiday and drove some distances by car on when we were there and we learned a few things that hopefully will help you.

General:
    Bring books, old favourite toys and new surprise toys. Do remember that balls are not a good idea as they can end up anywhere! Our best buys were definitely books, especially sticker books are great! They can peel the stickers off, are glossy, have thick pages to turn easy, have bright colours and come in endless subjects. They're a nice break from the other books your child might be tired of, too. Put aside fears of setting poor eating habits, and bring on the snacks! We told Iris: “Welcome to the world of boredom eating."

Car:
    Toy bars meant for stroller use are a big help in the car, as they often feature toys plus a snack cup, and are big and easy for you to grab from the front seat for refills. During the car trip it’s always a good idea to play a game and sing some songs. It sounds rather easy, but it does work!

Finally:
    We only have one last statement! Just do it! Don’t be afraid that it might go wrong. We have learned this, because we have been travelling with Iris from the beginning. She was only 6 weeks young when we had our first short vacation and stayed in a hotel. Iris has been used to it rather fast and (maybe because of it) has always been an easy kid to get along with.

• Motorcycle

• PatrickV9's Profile Photo

Trip to Amsterdam by car

by PatrickV9 Written Jul 17, 2012

You can park your car for € 20, - per 24 hours. This car park is located in Amsterdam city center and is very easy to reach. You need this parking reservation 24 hours before your arrival. Pay with iDeal or Credit Card.

Je kunt hier je auto parkeren voor € 20,- per 24 uur. Deze parkeergarage ligt midden in Amsterdam centrum en is zeer goed te bereiken. Je moet deze parkeerplaats reserveren 24 uur voor je aankomst. Betalen met iDeal of Credit Card.

• Museum Visits

Access by car

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jan 8, 2012

If you want to come by car to the center Amsterdam enter via the North and use the IJtunnel. Remember, there are few parking spots and they are expensive!

Amsterdam Road works map.

IJtunnel Zeeburger tunnel (A10 ring highway)
    • Luxury Travel

• handy tip for parking in Amsterdam centre

by 19Lisa88 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is for the people who want or have no choice to go by car to Amsterdam

Anyway I have found that Amsterdam is getting worse and worse with parking. I visited Amsterdam a few times and nearly gave up on driving to Amsterdam by car. Until I discovered that some Hotels do valet parking. My car was picked up at the Hotel, and the next day when I needed my car, the Hotel phoned the company and half an hour later my car was in front of the door and ready for me to go. The company is called The Parking Company. their was a flyer in my car and the website to check out was....
    parkingcompanyamsterdam.nl.
    Only I think the website wasn't in english yet, but maybe that has changed, and otherwise you can phone. I do know is that you have to make reservations.

Anyway I loved the service, I didn't need to worry about any wheelclamps, or loosing the way to my car, or have someone smash a window in. The price was reasonable seeing they pickup and bring back your car.

Leidseplein/Nightlife Parking

by pieter_jan_v Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you want to attend a late night show or spend some nightlife at the Leidseplein area, park at the Europarking.
    The garage has 700 spaces and is well guarded.
    From there it's just a 10 minutes walk to the Leidseplein.

Street address: Marnixstraat 250 - 1016 TL Amsterdam (Oppositie the Police Headquarter).

Business hours:
    Ma-We: 6.30AM - 1AM following day
    Tu - Sa: daily (24 hours opened)
    Su: 7AM - 1AM following day

Parking fee: Euro 2,80 per hour (VISA/MASTERCARD accepted)

Europarking at the Marnixstraat

• Danalia's Profile Photo

Rent a car

by Danalia Written Jan 18, 2011

While I spent my one month in Amsterdam, we decided to rent a car so we can also travel out of the city
    Even though almost all the citizens of Amsterdam are using the bicycle , a bad rider like us couldn't take the chance.
    We traveled mostly out of town, but when we decided to go back to the city and visit museums and etc' - we returned the car back to agent.
    Amsterdam itself doesn't justify using a car better use your legs :)

• dila's Profile Photo

cheap or free parking

by dila Updated Jul 27, 2010

update 2010
    The Park and Ride (P+R) parking facilities are located on the outskirts of Amsterdam near the ring A-10. then continue your visit using metro, tram or bus connections with the centre of Amsterdam.
    I think some things are not correct on the site as i see people get 2 tickets with 2 X 1 hours max for 2 persons.This are chipcards so you need to check in and when you leave check out.
    Check in you read a date check out tot ziens means goodbye
    But the locations will be the same
    think the site have some good tips i dont know about as i dont have a car.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam