Getting Around Amsterdam

by iaint

Most Viewed Transportation in Amsterdam

• Amsterdam Centraal Train Station Hazard

by CeilSin Written Nov 12, 2014

BEWARE OF THIS TRAIN STATION! We started the night before, trying to find someone to pay to help us with our luggage. No soap! We asked repeatedly in the station for help. But we were ushered onto an "up" escalator. Result: I lost my balance on the fast moving escalator and fell backward and downward!

I knew I was about to die! A "last thought" flashed through my mind. Then I started screaming!

Thank God, someone stopped the escalator. A total of four strangers rescued me from that escalator. This included two Amsterdam police officers, who were apparently among my rescuers. However, they refused to allow myself and my friend (who was badly cut, somehow) any soap and water to clean our cuts.

I have multiple injuries, which so far appear minor; my cellphone was smashed and watch damaged, and my friend's suitcase was totaled.

While I am lucky to be alive, and thankful for my rescue, THIS COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED! Centraal Station needs to provide porters to help with luggage, and clear signs of elevator locations, if any .... plus warning signs in several languages at the escalators. There are some 10,000 escalator injuries per year in the US alone; the Amsterdam police said people fall "periodically" on the escalators in Centraal Station. This station already has a ghoulish history: Anne Frank and family were taken here to be loaded into cattle trains for their odyssey toward death ... not the fault of the Dutch, but just a creepy factoid.

Travelers, avoid this safety-averse station.

• Trains

• ATLC's Profile Photo

4 countries, 6 days

by ATLC Written Oct 2, 2010

For a holiday, I agree that 6 days is a very tight schedule. Not really my idea of a holiday. But I've seen much worse on this forum.
    However, if you were on business, you would not blink at this schedule.
    We have the fast train Thalys after all.

Let me suggest an itinerary:

Day 1: (on arrival): take the Thalys to Paris (you need to book Thalys in advance), travel = about 3 hours.
    Day 2: Spend in Paris
    Day 3: (in the morning): take the Thalys back to Brussels (Belgium), travel = about 90 minutes
    Day 4: take a train to Aachen (Germany), which is just on the Dutch/Belgian border. Enjoy the cathedral, etc. Travel time: with Thalys: 70 minutes. With local train: 2 hrs and 30 mins
    Day 5: visit Maastricht (20 kms from Aachen, very nice Dutch city) and/or do that 'Drielandenpunt' (Belgium/Germany/Netherlands) as johngayton suggests
    Day 6: back to Amsterdam and enjoy any time left there. Train from Maastricht to Amsterdam (local, just hop on). Travel time: 2 hrs and 30 mins

For German and European train schedules: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
    For Dutch train schedules and prices: http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers
    For Belgian train schedules and prices: www.b-rail.be/main/E/
    For Thalys: http://www.thalys.com/ (only to be booked in advance!)

• Trains

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

City to beach - the Beach Bus

by Britannia2 Written Jul 28, 2009

If you would like to escape Amsterdam on a hot summer day and need to use public transport a novel way to travel to the Dutch coast is by fast ferry and bus.
    There are departures from Jetty 14 behind Centraal Station every 30 minutes on summer days - the fast ferry takes you to Velson in 30 minutes and from there a fast bus that meets the ferry and takes you on to Ijmuiden beach in just over 10 minutes.
    The off peak fare is €7.50.
    I have never made this trip but have seen the fast ferry and it looks very impressive. A very good idea for those who want to visit the coast. The website has more details.

• gasca's Profile Photo

General Transportation Tip

by gasca Written Oct 19, 2005

Amsterdam is one the few capitals in Europe (if not the only one) without any big monuments, let's say i.e Eiffel Tower, Big Ben.. and it is an accessible city as well. Distances can be shorter than in other capitals and metro network has not dozens of lines.

• Traveling in Style

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 5, 2005

Saw this trio - bloke, trike and dog - waiting at the lights - so I asked him if I could take a pic - he smiled and gave me the thumbs up - the bloke didn't say much though :)) (It's amazing how they ALL speak english isn't it? )

I thought this looked like a really great way to get around the city - and the dog thought so too I reckon. Then the lights turned green and away they sped.

It's a dogs life

• OK si vous partez de paname...

by zoave Written Aug 26, 2002

OK si vous partez de paname comme moi c trop simple:
    suivez ces noms de villes et tout ira bien
    -lille-gand/gent-kortrijk-antwerpen-breda-amsterdam

tro simple mais be careful avec la douane volante!!!
    tes jambes et tes pieds ya qu'ca d'mieux ds Meda

• M.I.B.'s Profile Photo

Carrier Pigeon or Bottle?

by M.I.B. Written Mar 2, 2003

I was making up my mind in Amsterdam to use alternative transport like this pigeon.

No, it will be a cruise in a bottle!

Pigeon

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

TRAVEL ALERT for NEW YEARS EVE: No public transportation from 8PM till 1:30AM New Years Day.

Amsterdam Transportation

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Tram, bus, metro and ferry is the public transportation available at Amsterdam. But you will find this town very walkable. If you want to expand your exploration, hire a bicycle and ride with the...
Map of Amsterdam