Getting Around Amsterdam

by LoriPori

Most Viewed Transportation in Amsterdam

• Traveling in Style

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 5, 2005

Saw this trio - bloke, trike and dog - waiting at the lights - so I asked him if I could take a pic - he smiled and gave me the thumbs up - the bloke didn't say much though :)) (It's amazing how they ALL speak english isn't it? )

I thought this looked like a really great way to get around the city - and the dog thought so too I reckon. Then the lights turned green and away they sped.

It's a dogs life

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

City to beach - the Beach Bus

by Britannia2 Written Jul 28, 2009

If you would like to escape Amsterdam on a hot summer day and need to use public transport a novel way to travel to the Dutch coast is by fast ferry and bus.
    There are departures from Jetty 14 behind Centraal Station every 30 minutes on summer days - the fast ferry takes you to Velson in 30 minutes and from there a fast bus that meets the ferry and takes you on to Ijmuiden beach in just over 10 minutes.
    The off peak fare is €7.50.
    I have never made this trip but have seen the fast ferry and it looks very impressive. A very good idea for those who want to visit the coast. The website has more details.

Schiphol airport

by gwened Updated Oct 26, 2014

This airport primarily for its strategic position in Europe receive quite a bit of request in the forums and does have a heavy usage of connections. So since used regularly, this is the time to write something about in addition to what is already here.

First it is a simple long line terminal thats very easy to move about. There is a huge Shiphol Plaza (where the thalys train arrives too) and Holland boulevard with main gates of from B to M.
    In general KLM flights comes to gates B,C,D,E,F, Air France and Alitalia on gates B and C, Delta on E.Czech air on gate D, Aeroflot on gates B or G.
    the travelers on KLM that have ongoing trips on train Antwerp on thalys and Rotterdam on NS desk (at Schiphol plaza just past immigration) need to collect luggage and exchange KLM flight tickets for the railroads tickets.

There are airport lounges such as no 1 between gates C and D, and lounge 2 between gates D and E,lounge 3 is at gate F; those passengers with access to Crown Lounges and tranferring ot Schengen countries are advise to use Crown lounge 25 located by Schengen gates behind passenger control when arriving in intercontinental flights this lounge is at top floor gate D.

You have the airport link below n contact, and to move out into the city or elsewhere the most common suppliers are Schiphol taxi at email schipholtaxi@connexxion.nl and webpage www.connexxion.nl
    You ,also, can get the schiphol shuttle with email contact at ahs@connexxion.nl at webpage www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl
    both widely used and very reliable

boulevard Holland and the gates hallways connecting gates at Schiphol getting out from my AF flight just landing at Schiphol constellation bar for the plane's history and beer
    • Museum Visits

Amsterdam Centraal train station

by gwened Written Apr 19, 2013

A very lovely impressive train station right in the center of Amsterdam accessable to everything you need to see.
    It was built between 1881 and 1889 by architect Pierre J. H. Cuypers ,and mechanical builder Adolf Leonard van Gendt. Cuypers was, also, the creator of the museum Rijksmuseum, that open in 1880, located about 2 kms from the train station,and it has a resemblance in construction.
    Centraal has Six platforms link by long hallways with 15 tracks (track 15 A or B are usually the ones for Paris Nord)

The taxis are waiting just in front of the station Main Entry (Hoofdingang). Other means of transport – busses and trams are located at hand on both sides of the station building. The entry to the metro is located in front of the station Eastern Entry (Ingang Oost). The city ferry boat lines linking the city with Amsterdam North are located behind the station at its Northern Exit, across the street - at the waterfront.

Amsterdam Centraal back entrance centraal quais this one is gate 15A going to Paris Nord front of Centraal architecture at Centraal
    • Architecture

trains from Amsterdam

by gwened Written Mar 8, 2012

very easy Thalys plus local train,you need to get to their webpages, its a short trip. with the Bus ,do not know Eurolines goes there or any other.
    Holland

Thalys
    www.thalys.com

Hope it helps

travel cards and tramways-Amsterdam

by gwened Written Aug 31, 2012

Hi I dont use those cards but this site explains well i think

as well as public transport as only take the thalys train on business otherwise is the car

and here is the official transport site in English

HOpe it helps

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

public transport in Amsterdam

by gwened Written Apr 19, 2013

Great boat city and the ferry boats coming with passenger to one end to the other of the harbor is great. These are hydrofoils and they are lovely to ride as much as to see them go.
    The place is loaded with ferry boats from GVB, metro (four lines) tramways,and buses, of course all for convenience, the best is to walk.

buses of Amsterdam gvb ferry boats centraal to nord tramways at nieuwezijds voorburgwal street more tramways car parking centre by centraal train station

• Amsterdam Centraal Train Station Hazard

by CeilSin Written Nov 12, 2014

BEWARE OF THIS TRAIN STATION! We started the night before, trying to find someone to pay to help us with our luggage. No soap! We asked repeatedly in the station for help. But we were ushered onto an "up" escalator. Result: I lost my balance on the fast moving escalator and fell backward and downward!

I knew I was about to die! A "last thought" flashed through my mind. Then I started screaming!

Thank God, someone stopped the escalator. A total of four strangers rescued me from that escalator. This included two Amsterdam police officers, who were apparently among my rescuers. However, they refused to allow myself and my friend (who was badly cut, somehow) any soap and water to clean our cuts.

I have multiple injuries, which so far appear minor; my cellphone was smashed and watch damaged, and my friend's suitcase was totaled.

While I am lucky to be alive, and thankful for my rescue, THIS COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED! Centraal Station needs to provide porters to help with luggage, and clear signs of elevator locations, if any .... plus warning signs in several languages at the escalators. There are some 10,000 escalator injuries per year in the US alone; the Amsterdam police said people fall "periodically" on the escalators in Centraal Station. This station already has a ghoulish history: Anne Frank and family were taken here to be loaded into cattle trains for their odyssey toward death ... not the fault of the Dutch, but just a creepy factoid.

Travelers, avoid this safety-averse station.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

4 countries, 6 days

by ATLC Written Oct 2, 2010

For a holiday, I agree that 6 days is a very tight schedule. Not really my idea of a holiday. But I've seen much worse on this forum.
    However, if you were on business, you would not blink at this schedule.
    We have the fast train Thalys after all.

Let me suggest an itinerary:

Day 1: (on arrival): take the Thalys to Paris (you need to book Thalys in advance), travel = about 3 hours.
    Day 2: Spend in Paris
    Day 3: (in the morning): take the Thalys back to Brussels (Belgium), travel = about 90 minutes
    Day 4: take a train to Aachen (Germany), which is just on the Dutch/Belgian border. Enjoy the cathedral, etc. Travel time: with Thalys: 70 minutes. With local train: 2 hrs and 30 mins
    Day 5: visit Maastricht (20 kms from Aachen, very nice Dutch city) and/or do that 'Drielandenpunt' (Belgium/Germany/Netherlands) as johngayton suggests
    Day 6: back to Amsterdam and enjoy any time left there. Train from Maastricht to Amsterdam (local, just hop on). Travel time: 2 hrs and 30 mins

For German and European train schedules: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
    For Dutch train schedules and prices: http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers
    For Belgian train schedules and prices: www.b-rail.be/main/E/
    For Thalys: http://www.thalys.com/ (only to be booked in advance!)

• gasca's Profile Photo

General Transportation Tip

by gasca Written Oct 19, 2005

Amsterdam is one the few capitals in Europe (if not the only one) without any big monuments, let's say i.e Eiffel Tower, Big Ben.. and it is an accessible city as well. Distances can be shorter than in other capitals and metro network has not dozens of lines.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

IBIS SHUTTLE BUS

by LoriPori Written Jun 9, 2015

May 25 & 26, 2015
    Once again we stayed at the IBIS Airport Hotel and once again we took the IBIS SHUTTLE BUS. After dropping off our rental car, we waited at the "Hotel Transportation" area just outside Schiphol. The buses run about every 30 minutes, so it wasn't long before the shuttle bus came. Seems a lot of people stay at the IBIS as the bus was quite crowded. I was able to get a seat, but many had to stand.
    The bus first stops at the IBIS Budget Hotel and then goes next door to the other Hotel.
    We also used the IBIS bus to go back to the airport in the evening, for a bite to eat at one of the many airport restaurants. Sorry to say that the IBIS restaurants are way over priced.
    The next afternoon, we took the shuttle to the airport for our flight home.
    All in all, good service and very convenient.

IBIS Shuttle Bus

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

AIR TRANSAT

by LoriPori Written Jun 9, 2015

May, 2015
    Once again we used AIR TRANSAT for our flight to the Netherlands. We usually book directly with Air Transat and talk to a "real" agent.
    This time we paid $1580.48 for the two of us, to fly from Toronto to Amsterdam.
    Our plane was a A-310 which is a long plane. We were seated in Row 8 Seats F & G which is quite up front. The only thing is that the toilet is waaaay in the back of the plane.
    Our seats were really tight and I kept hitting elbows with Hansi. The meals were O.K - both were chicken dinners. Staff was friendly. Movies were good. All in all O.K but the price was right and we'll probably fly with them again in the future.

Our Air Transat Plane

• OK si vous partez de paname...

by zoave Written Aug 26, 2002

OK si vous partez de paname comme moi c trop simple:
    suivez ces noms de villes et tout ira bien
    -lille-gand/gent-kortrijk-antwerpen-breda-amsterdam

tro simple mais be careful avec la douane volante!!!
    tes jambes et tes pieds ya qu'ca d'mieux ds Meda

• M.I.B.'s Profile Photo

Carrier Pigeon or Bottle?

by M.I.B. Written Mar 2, 2003

I was making up my mind in Amsterdam to use alternative transport like this pigeon.

No, it will be a cruise in a bottle!

Pigeon

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

TRAVEL ALERT for NEW YEARS EVE: No public transportation from 8PM till 1:30AM New Years Day.

Amsterdam Transportation

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
Tram, bus, metro and ferry is the public transportation available at Amsterdam. But you will find this town very walkable. If you want to expand your exploration, hire a bicycle and ride with the...
Map of Amsterdam