Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Dutch Pantry uitsmijter
    by leics
    Sales area
    by grandmaR
    Cafe Chocolate
    by grandmaR
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Updated Jan 9, 2010

The railway station area at Schipol

The airport for Amsterdam and the whole of the Netherlands - surprisingly very provincial by English standards. Dutch TV shows an advertisement with three women going shopping in the Schipol shopping centre - it must have taken them all of 40 minutes and they have clearly never been to Bluewater or Meadowhall or similar shopping centres in England. The shopping really is a disappointment - there are not many shops and for English people very expensive. The best way to kill time waiting for a flight is to watch planes depart and arrive from the viewing area or go for a meal - there is a good choice of places to eat.
    VT member pieter_jan_v has a very good Schipol section on his Amsterdam pages and perhaps I missed something but writing honestly I do not think this large airport has shopping that matches the hype that surrounds it and it is also quite basic in design. However the staff are helpful and friendly and it is easy to find your way around. Trains stops underneath the airport and there seems to be adequate parking.

• Arriving at Schipol

by MrMonkey Updated Aug 5, 2007

When arriving at Schipol Airport, you might find yourself surprised at how incredibly easy and almost pleasant (in comparison to other airports such as Paris' CDG) it is to navigate around. This is true especially if you understand English fluently, as the language is broadcast openly alongside Dutch.

As someone who isn't terribly fond of airports, I must say that Schipol was undoubtedly the best airport arrival experience I had.

• ophiro's Profile Photo

by ophiro Written Mar 26, 2011

Schiphol Airport is very big airport , they have a nice dutyfree that you can buy when going out from the airport also.
    The airport is very big but still very organized.

Outside the airport you will find buses , trains , taxis.
    I took a bus to the hotel - it was the fast and cheap.

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Airport

by Bela_LUng Written Jul 27, 2004

Schiphol Airport is an interesting place. I had a layover here for a while and had some rather weird experiences.

First of all, the airport is comfortable for those with a long layover. I just parked myself off to the side with my bags and chilled out. No one bugged me.

BUUUUT....when it finally came time to board my place I looked a bit disheveled (I was travelling on a budget). The airport security guys, even thought I'm sure they saw me there for the last serveral hours, pulled me a side to frisk me. I just wanted to get on my plane! :)

Anyhoot, more of the story is that the security here is pretty good, so don't do anything stupid like try to smuggle a pound of weed back home. There's dogs as well...not the type you pat on the head and go "awwww, you so cute" but rather the type that eats man balls for breakfast.

Happy trails. Just make sure they are safe trails.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Dublin - Amsterdam flight

by orlikins Updated May 4, 2006

Flew with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Schipol.

Regular train connections to Amsterdam and other Dutch cities.

However, don't bother with the Duty Free in Schiphol, it is actually not good value at all. I distinctly remember seeing products being sold for less in Amsterdam city centre and in Dublin.

• eurotravels's Profile Photo

From the UK I think the best...

by eurotravels Written Sep 8, 2002

From the UK I think the best source of flights is the internet. There are some cheap deals about if you are prepared to travel at less popular times. Take a look at www.flybmi.com for flights from around £60 inclusive return (but if you wanted to go for queens day, i.e 30 April, the flight alone looks like around £300!)
    Once you're in Holland the train service from the airport is easy and reliable. Buy your ticket then go to the station downstairs.
    A lot of things are within easy walking distance but for anything else the tram is quick and easy. We found the simplest thing was to buy a strip of 15 tickets ( a strippenkaart). If there is no conductor on the tram you need to stamp it in the machine. It's two tickets for each trip. Guidebooks explain in more detail.
    From what I've seen parking would be a problem, and there is no need for a car.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Train to Amsterdam Central Station

by dustmon Written Sep 21, 2010

I did not have the right card (no european chip in my debit or credit cards) so had to go to the far left of the station when you come up from the baggage claim---there is a person at a counter which will take our credit cards and give you tickets to get to Central Station in Amsterdam. It is 4.20 each way with a return ticket for when you need to come back to the airport. (2nd class---I guess 1st class has a little more leg room or something). They will tell you which platform to go to, and when you get on the train, you can stow your bag nearby between seats, or in the area before you get to the seats...just keep an eye on them...you can go up or down to the seats----when you get to Central Station (sometimes after a few stops in between) just follow the crowds until you get out in the air and then on to your destination via tram, bus, or your feet (my usual way of getting around!)

• School Holidays
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

by uglyscot Written Nov 3, 2007

Schiphol

I was flying from Khartoum to London by KLM with transit in Schiphol. To my dismay, when the plane left Khartoum , I discovered we would be going to Addis Ababa, only 1 hour 10 minutes flight, but over an hour stopover. Then we flew back up the Nile, across Greece and up the Adriatic, to arrive in Amsterdam after 10 hours ... fortunately I was in Business Class , but my seat would not recline completely.
    I must admit it was the smoothest flight I ever had, and the cabin crew were most attentive and very friendly.
    We arrived at 4am and were catching a flight to London at 8.25. There were some shops open, but none of the cafes opened until 7am, so it was rather a long, boring wait.

• AnnS's Profile Photo

by AnnS Written Jan 31, 2007

Schiphol Airport In The Snow

Schiphol is my favourite airport. It's got wonderful facilities and if you have a lot of time to wait for your flight, you'll find plenty to do. There are loads of shops and places to eat and drink, excellent business services and even a quiet area of chair/beds where you can have a snooze. The entire airport has been well thought out and there are lots of features to make travelling more pleasant. There are even small luggage trolleys airside so you don't have to carry your hand baggage around.

I got stuck there for 2 days and a night, due to bad weather, and the airport was absolutely heaving with thousands of delayed passengers. The airport staff did everything possible to make everyone comfortable (the man in the Nokia shop even charged my mobile for me) and I can't think of a better place to be marooned.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by Ewingjr98 Updated Feb 9, 2007

Info brochure from Schiphol Airport

Schiphol Airport is a wonderful and convenient airport that was recently built with all of the modern necessities. It is located just 9 miles south of Amsterdam and has easy highway or rail access to the the city.

We had a layover in Amsterdam while flying to Copenhagen.

Schiphol is the world's 9th busiest airport, moving 44 million people in 2005.

• Seniors

• lina112's Profile Photo

From Málaga to Amsterdam

by lina112 Written Mar 7, 2011

Waiting to embarking

Transavia have daily flights from Málaga to Ámsterdam Schiphol, the flight takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. They offers sándwiches, drinks, chocolates after pay an amount. As entertaiment they showed two chapters of the tv serie Friends and 2 man and a half. The staff is friendly all time.

Transavia tiene vuelos diarios desde Málaga al aeropuerto de Amsterdam Schiphol, el vuelo tarda 2 horas y 45 minutos. Durante el vuelo te ponen un capitulo de la serie Friends y otro de la serie 2 hombres y medio. Tienen un pequeño catalogo para comprar bocadillos, bebidas, chocolatinas, etc.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Getting There

by keeweechic Updated Aug 11, 2006

By Air: Amsterdam Schiphol Airport  is 25 kms (15 miles) southeast of the city and directly linked to it by rail.

KLM Road Transport run a shuttle bus service between Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and the major city hotels. The trip takes about half an hour.

The Schiphol Rail Line runs a 24 hr service between the airport and the city with a stop at the central railway station and stations in the southrn part of the city. The trip takes about 15 minutes.

Taxis are available in front of the arrival hall at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. All taxis are metered. Service is included, but small additional tips are not refused.

By Car: European highways lead to and from the borders. E19 from western Belgium; E25 from eastern Belgium; and E22, E30, and E35 from Germany. You can follow the signs for Centrum to get into the centre city. While the traffic is usually heavy, it is not usually at a standstill at peak times.

British Rail International runs 3 trains per day from London to Amsterdam. Trains arrive at and depart from Centraal Station (Photo: Central Railway Station.)

• Architecture

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo

My plane Landing in Amsterdam

by Pakistaniguy Updated Jan 24, 2003

Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam is not the only Netherland's main airport but also the 3rd Busiest Airport of Europe. It is the main hub of Royal Dutch Airline - KLM. In the pic on the left you can see that my plane is about to land in Amsterdam.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Amsterdam was my last stop...

by syllybabe Written Aug 26, 2002

Amsterdam was my last stop before flying out of Europe because I took KLM. I love Schipol so I guess KLM is the best way to get there.
    This pic is of Schiphol airport from a postcard I got.
    Get a ride with a gorgeous dutch guy who will show you the beauty of the city ;-p

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

To and around Amsterdam

by seamandrew Updated Jul 12, 2003

Singapore Airlines, 1 of many airlines in Holland

There are many ways to make your way into the Netherlands. The easiest of course is to fly in directly. From the states, Singapore airlines has direct flights from Chicago and Newark, and KLM has multiple destinations. Most of the other major Amercian airlines (United, US Airways, Northwest, etc.) service Schiphol Airport. Once you arrive at the airport, you can either take a train into the city center, you can take a bus, or you can grab a cab. Elisabeth and I grabbed a cab and it cost us about Euro 35. We did take the train to the airport on our way to the Floriade and that was a mere Euro 2.90 each way. It was also very easy. The downside to it is that you have to head to the Central Station and make your way around the city either by tram or by foot. Also, I recommend going to the courtesy desk to buy your rail pass because the automated machines do not accept credit cards (only those with Maestro) and they do not accept paper bills (only coins). I don't know much about taking a bus into the city. Sorry.. I didn't try it. The cab however, while more expensive, was comfortable ( A Mercedes E-class) , we had the option to charge our fare, and our cab driver was a real nice guy. Amsterdam can be reached by car. All the highways seem to lead into the city. Also, Amsterdam has a large port and as such, cruise ships make stops there.
    Amsterdam has many options for getting around. Elisabeth and I did most of it by foot but there are trams, taxis, buses, canal boats of many varieties, and also bicycles. Amsterdam is definitely one of Europes largest biking cities. Everyone, businesspeople to lovely grannies, they were all pedaling there way around. Tourists included!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam