Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Dutch Pantry uitsmijter
    by grandmaR
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

AF to AMS

by cochinjew Written Nov 9, 2008

By plane, Amsterdam is a comfortable 45 minutes away from Paris. if you are a member of the AF Club, you can relax at their lounge in CDG and the process is less taxing. I was surprised that even on that short route AF served Champagne. Viola!

• bilgeez's Profile Photo

Schipol

by bilgeez Written May 10, 2009
    View of Main Terminal from Runway

I was impressed with Schipol Airport. It is one of the busiest in the world, but doesn't seem crazy and overcrowded. They seem well organized and orderly. I had a couple hours between flights both times I've stopped over and found plenty to keep me occupied during my layovers. I sat in one of the bars and had a real Heinneken draught for once! There are also plenty of food kiosks and stores of all types in the concourses.

• Business Travel

• bonio's Profile Photo

Schiphol

by bonio Written Jul 22, 2010

Departing from Schiphol a few days ago we had a 2 hour delay and went up to the viewing area. It was great, able to see take offs and landings as well as visit the reasonably priced (for Amsterdam) Aviator restaurant.
    Good place to visit if you have a wait.

• purplekedi's Profile Photo

Layovers in Schiphol Airport / Amsterdam

by purplekedi Updated Oct 8, 2008

I had a 6 hour layover at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. This was February 08. Schiphol had changed a lot, it's an enormous gigantic place now with loads of things to do. So many shops, lounges with all sorts of technological facilities, food courts etc. Even a new compact hotel called YOTEL opened where the bookings start at 4 hours minimum giving you a small room with more than only the main necessities. Wi-fi connection, flat screen tv, complete en-suite bathrooms and very comfy beds. etc. It's meant to be located in the transit area. I myself took the train to Amsterdam instead, was very easy, they will probably advise you otherwise at the information desk but if you've been to Amsterdam before it's totally doable. Buy your ticket return at the airport and allow at least half an hour for travel. The trains are every half hour too so it's easy.

• While I flew into and out of...

by megraham Updated Aug 24, 2002

While I flew into and out of Amsterdam and it makes a good gateway city I remember it as one long flight onto LAX.
    Local train into the city, and local buses. However, I always try to walk as much as I can in any city, because I enjoy the sites and sounds and the little things that it allows you to see.

• intertraveler's Profile Photo

Jet2.com

by intertraveler Written Nov 9, 2006

Jet2.com is a no frills budget airline.

We flew from Blackpool airport the flight was punctual and the price was very good. The service on this short flight was also good we would rate this airline as 3 star.

There was one thing that put me of a bit was the Jet2.com stickers placed inside the aeroplane but I would use this airline again easy to book online, one day I hope the budget airlines fly to the Greek islands to compete against the charter flight monopoly.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Schiphol

by flynboxes Written May 26, 2007
    My ride home after 3.5 months in Amsterdam

Schiphol..Ships hole since it was built on reclaimed land as of much of the Netherlands is but they have also found pieces of old ships over the years that they have improved the airport.
    I worked here for 3 months in 01 due to KLM staffing shortages and the fact that Northwest really does not want your bags lostif you can believe it. Others may argue otherwise but this is one of the best airports in Europe. It has a casino in the departures area as well as a mall and Alberthein (Dutch Albertsons supermarket) outside of the arrivals area. If you are a "Spotter" there is a great upper deck viewing area and cafe to take some great pictures or keep the kids busy with if you have a log layover and don't want to go into town. There are trains to Central Station, Germany, France and Belguim that stop here and tickets can be bought next to Checkpoint Charlie (The meeting point) at the arrivals level if memory serves me. The airport is fairly large. All NW flights leave out of Terminal E along with some KLM flights and of course Terminal F. Most of the domestic flights leave out of Terminal D with the commuters at Terminal A. CO, DL, UA, US leave out of Terminal G? There are moving sidewalks to speed you communte so no worries.

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

by Blatherwick Written Mar 8, 2006
    Schiphol Airport

Schiphol is quite simply one of the best airports in the world to travel to. It is the home base of KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines), Martinair and Transavia and is serviced by major and budget airlines from all over Europe. Customs are quick and relatively painless. There is a huge shopping complex there to keep you entertained while you wait for flights.

Even getting into town is easy. The quickest and easiest way to travel to Amsterdam from Schiphol is by train. Trains depart from the central hall, which is close to the departure and arrival halls. They arrive at the central train station in 15 minutes and it costs around 4 Euro.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Get in or out of Amsterdam on Continental Airlines

by mafootje Updated Jan 10, 2005
    Continental interior

During our travels together we had many different airlines. Ofcourse not all of them are the same..current favorite is Continental Airlines because of a few things:
    - Most complete inflight enterainment which offers different movie channels, audio channels and also arcade games.
    - Most comfortable seats with a real plus for a foldable headrest which takes away the need for a neckrest. You can fold both sides of your headrest against your head.
    - Best offers to give up you seat in case of a overbooking of the flight. We gave up our chairs and got the following $500 p/p in travel vouchers, a night in a very good hotel, breakfast and lunch vouchers.
    Ok we lost a lot of time on the airport before we got to go to the hotel because of lack of information where or luggage was. No response on a written complaint given to a supervisor on the airport the next day because of the fact that no one could tell us what to do exactly as soon we gave up our chairs...

We know have been flying 3 times with Continental. Some lesser things are, schedules are really subject to change, on our last flight we only had one flight completly according that we had booked it.

Handling of complaints can be better, we had two complaints / concerns but neither of them got a response. Only after asking about them after more then two months got a reaction. But as you can see they are still number one because of the comfort of flight

But we would do it again, just because of the simple fact we know what to expect and what not...

Other airlines we traveled from best to worse...

1) Continental airlines.
    2) United Airlines.
    3) British Midland.
    4) British Airways.
    5) Martinair.
    6) KLM.
    7) Northwest Airlines.

If you would like to know why we prefer or not prefer an airline just drop us an e-mail.

Picture taken december 3th. 2004

• PeteP51D's Profile Photo

by PeteP51D Updated Jan 8, 2004
    KLM 747-400

Working for an airline, I've seen an airport or two, but Schiphol (AMS) is by FAR the coolest I've seen. With it's blue & yellow scheme, I know I'm in Europe the minute I get off the plane. It's real easy to find your way around, with lot's of places(around 40) to eat & catch your 1st (or maybe one last before leaving) round of fresh Heineken. With the train station just steps from the baggage area and all under one roof, getting around couldn't be easier. Unless you're on a really tight budget, spend the extra two euro's & get a 1st Class ticket to Central Station. It's only about a 15 minute ride, but it's always wide open which helps if you're carrying luggage. Then from Central Station, just catch a tram outside & you're anywhere in the city from the airport in 40 minutes.
    I'm just sorry that my flight back to L.A. leaves so early that I can't spend more time there. It's that cool. It even has a Casino!

• PeteP51D's Profile Photo

Long Airplane trips

by PeteP51D Written Dec 30, 2003
    33,000 feet, 575mph ground speed, minus 80 F

Here's what I found helps from feeling like crap after a LONG plane trip. 1). Make sure you're well fed before you travel. 2). Drink LOTS of bottled water on the flight. Sure a few cold Heinekens will put you in the Amsterdam mood & get mellow for perhaps a little sleep, but don't get so wacked on the plane that you arrive feeling like a charcoal brickett. Pace yourself & drink plenty of that bottled water. Airplane air is really DRY & you will end up with a THUMPING headache if you get too dehydrated. 3) Get up & MOVE AROUND! On 747's, I like to sit as close to the tail as possible. You can stand up with your foot on the armrest (a VERY comfortable stretch!) & not block anybodys view of the movie. Also, there's usually the little walkway way back by the lavatorys that you should use to stand up & stretch. It also seems to be a natural gathering place for other wise individuals like yourself. You may meet somebody who you can hook up with later. Also, they seem to serve food & drinks from the aft FORWARD. So you get your drink & grub on 1st, finish 1st, & get the trays taken away 1st.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane....!

by Krystynn Updated Jan 19, 2004

The Schipol International Airport is simply the best airport in all of Europe. Yes, #1. It is also amongst the world's top 10 best. No mean feat.

The shops located at the Departure Hall is first-rate too. Just before I boarded the plane for home (on my last trip), I bought a bunch of really lovely tulips for my Mom... yes, right here at the airport. I just loooove tulips!

Don't forget to check out their ultra-cool website.

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Easyjet

by oneonta_ni Written Sep 19, 2002

We flew direct from Belfast to Amsterdam. The flight was about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Easyjet have a very good record for timekeeping and our return flight arrived a little earlier than expected. If you want cheap flights, check about 6 months in advance.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Flying to Amsterdam

by isolina_it Written Jan 12, 2003

The biggest airport of the Netherlands is Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. It is unsurpassed in terms of efficiency and convenience thanks to its carefully planned 'single terminal' concept, automatic baggage transfer and signs in English.
    Amsterdam Schiphol Airports offers direct flight connections to over 200 worldwide destinations anyway it might be cheaper for you to fly to a nearby city such as Amsterdam, in fact many airlines will offer you a free side trip within Europe, so ask around and see what offers are available.

• bzh's Profile Photo

Schipol Airport

by bzh Written Apr 1, 2003

I have mixed feelings about Amsterdam's international airport.

The first time I went there, I was in transit and only remember the corridors and my poor attempts at saying "Een Wieckse Witte, alstublieft". I managed to get the right stuff in my glass so the waiter must have taken pity on me.

The second time, which was also the first time I went to Amsterdam, I got overwhelmed by the huge arrival hall, which is quite daunting when you arrive at 11pm at night. The fact that I couldn't find a single cash machine that worked didn't help.

It has taken the third time to really appreciate Schipol, its huge shopping area and the amazing number of restaurants you can find there. So, don't worry, if you haven't had time to eat or you've forgotten to buy a present, you will find anything in Schipol, before and after customs. From diamonds to flowers, you could spend hours shopping just before you fly. Be careful not to miss the flight though.

One curiosity for male tourists: each and every urinal has a very convincing drawing of a fly in the basin. Maybe it is meant to help you aim properly when you're stoned? Those Dutch are mad...

Instant Answers: Amsterdam