Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Dutch Pantry uitsmijter
    by grandmaR
  • bzh's Profile Photo

Schipol Airport

by bzh Written Apr 1, 2003

I have mixed feelings about Amsterdam's international airport.

The first time I went there, I was in transit and only remember the corridors and my poor attempts at saying "Een Wieckse Witte, alstublieft". I managed to get the right stuff in my glass so the waiter must have taken pity on me.

The second time, which was also the first time I went to Amsterdam, I got overwhelmed by the huge arrival hall, which is quite daunting when you arrive at 11pm at night. The fact that I couldn't find a single cash machine that worked didn't help.

It has taken the third time to really appreciate Schipol, its huge shopping area and the amazing number of restaurants you can find there. So, don't worry, if you haven't had time to eat or you've forgotten to buy a present, you will find anything in Schipol, before and after customs. From diamonds to flowers, you could spend hours shopping just before you fly. Be careful not to miss the flight though.

One curiosity for male tourists: each and every urinal has a very convincing drawing of a fly in the basin. Maybe it is meant to help you aim properly when you're stoned? Those Dutch are mad...

• vec's Profile Photo

Schiphol

by vec Written Jan 18, 2004

Schiphol is one of the largest airports in Europe, with flights to and from all main destinations, and with a really good train connection within the Netherlands.

Departure from Schiphol

• Carino's Profile Photo

Fly Swiss

by Carino Written Nov 22, 2005

I'm not a big fan of our national airline, but Swiss offers some nice fares if you book well ahead. Check out the fares on the website.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Schiphol airport

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 3, 2003

Schiphol airport is very close to Amsterdam centre.

There are trains day and night, seven times an hour through the day, hourly at night, and which take about 15 minutes.

• Trains