Taxis, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

bad tunisian driver in amsterdam
    by pieter_jan_v

Amsterdam & surroundings TAXI

by pieter_jan_v Updated Sep 29, 2013

Taxi

In 2011 new taxi tariff guidelines were introduced in Amsterdam. For 2013 prices per passenger are:
    -Maximum start price: € 2,83 (flag down rate).
    -Maximum price per kilometer : € 2,08 and € 0.34 per minute.
    -Waiting rate € 38,98 per hour.

The busiest taxi stand is the one in front of the Central Station. A new taxi stand is in the works at the so-called IJhal part of the station.

If you need a minivan up to 4 person for a day personal sightseeing tour have a look at:
    Daytrip taxi.

• Seniors

Hopper - The electric Scooter Taxi

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 6, 2012

Picture from the local media

From October 2012 Amsterdam has yet another form of taxi: The Hopper - The electric Scooter Taxi. For the time being the service area will be the old centre of Amsterdam with a journey price of Euro 2.50. That's 20 cents cheaper than a single 1 hour ticket for the tram.
    This form of transportation is ideal if you need to be somewhere at one of the canal streets.
    The website offers a free application, where you can trace the scooters on the road.

• Donate to him! a Tunisian taxi driver in Amsterdam

by dressroom Written Feb 19, 2012
    bad tunisian driver in amsterdam

First of all, uploading this article and all photos is with this Tunisian taxi driver's agreement.
    I met him at Schiphol airport. He showed the fare - €7/first 2 km, additional €3/1 km - and using taxi meter.
    Then, we reached 3 km away from the airport. Of course, I intended to pay €10 to him, but he charged me €25!
    I felt his demand was too expensive, exorbitant and illegal, but he insisted that €7 is charged for a ride, €16.5 for from airport to the goal, and €1.5 for waiting (arguing with me).
    At that time, I was angry with this unscrupulous driver, but now, I'm really pity him in his poor state of the economy and lack of rest for his life.
    Thanks to God, my friend and family, I have a good job and income enough to have warm food every day, enjoy delicious wine at dinner and sleep well in nice room all over the world (for example, Amsterdam, London, Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, e.t.c.), that would never happen to him.
    Although he got €15 excess charge from me, I think that chicken money would remind him the disgusting argument all day and that his behavior would injure his soul and all taxi driver's value in Amsterdam.
    If you met him in Amsterdam, please remind that he will rob your money for his and/or his family's hard life. God bless him!

• Amsterdam Taxi

by rosacornejo Written May 20, 2010

After a long and exhausting search for a reliable Car Service I found Amsterdam Taxi Services. From the moment I placed my first phone call to Matthew to the moment I closed the door of his Mercedes on my last trip I have been more than appeased.
    This is a small, close knit company which is run for the most part by a very friendly, helpful and reliable man named Matthew. He does everything from taking your reservation to being your chauffeur. He has even been there to answer my midnight calls needing an unexpected 5:00AM ride to the airport followed by his prompt arrival. He is wonderful. His car is always in an immaculate state and his quality control is above and beyond being well maintained. I have been using him for a little over a year now with no problems what so ever. He does everything he can to accommodate any specials needs I may have, is very helpful, safe and he is always on time. On a few occasions he has dispatched other drivers for my reservations and they also have been nothing but top-notch... On time, clean cars, English speaking, friendly and helpful. Matthew and his employees are very professional and knowledgeable of Amsterdam and it's surrounding areas. To top it off their prices are a steal, I would pay more because this company is more than worth it. I use them on a continual basis, have recommended them to all of my friends and family and I am now recommending them to you, you can reach him or his company at www.Amsterdamtaxiservices.nl good luck and have a save journey!

Roos.

• Luxury Travel
    • Cruise

• Amsterdam Taxi Services

by Brene Written Mar 21, 2009

Many visitors arriving at Schiphol Airport might get a bad first impression of the country, because of unfriendly taxi drivers that might also overcharge.

I use taxis a lot when I travel to and from the airport and I can give you this tip: use Ambassador Taxis - get info at their website http://www.ambassadortaxiservices.nl . I am sure you will be satisfied as I am. I am always and only using this taxi service.They have very helpful and friendly drivers. Their rates are very good. Don't take a chance with taxi's to and from Amsterdam.

• Seniors

• MATIM's Profile Photo

good transportation from and to the airport

by MATIM Written Feb 28, 2009

Taxi liberalization has been a mixed success. On one hand, there is no shortage of cabs any more, but too many taxis mean drivers don’t make enough money. The less scrupulous ones try to maximize the fare from these fewer riders by any means necessary.
    TCA cabs (tel: 020 777 7777) are the most reputable.
    Get ready for sticker shock. You pay €7,50 to step into an Amsterdam cap, but that includes the first 2 km of travel and the meter never moves in traffic. If you want to just run in somewhere, you have to negotiate a waiting fee with the driver. 50 cents a minute is standard

• Trains

• DO NOT GET IN THIS TAXI

by JETSETTA100 Written Jan 21, 2009

We had the worst experience with a taxi driver in Leidseplein who took us on a scenic route for a trip that should have been 4 EURO max. When we asked where his meter was, he refused to keep it visable. Then when we asked him to stop because he was taking us in circles, he refused to stop until taking us FURTHER away. Then, when he did stop, we refused to pay him and he got out of his cab ready to start a fight. This kind of behaviour should be punished because had we not paid, this would be one of the stories of "taxi bashings" that you would see in the news the next day.

TAXI PLATE: TF-JD-06 Dark Blue Mercedes E class

• Study Abroad

Tuk Tuk Taxi

by pieter_jan_v Updated Aug 30, 2008

Tuk Tuk

The Tuk Tuk Company serves Amsterdam with 20 Tuk Tuk taxis.

Prices are according to a zone tarif (see the website).
    € 3,50 per passenger, € 5 for 2 passengers and € 6,50 for 3 passengers per zone. Every next zone zone + € 3,50 (independent of the number of passengers).

All year round service from 8AM to 2AM next day.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Not As Bad As Some Make Out But...........

by johngayton Written Dec 21, 2006

Taxis Outside Centraal Station

.........expensive nevertheless.

I have only used taxis here in Amsterdam on two occassions: the first being my first ever visit when I arrived at Centraal Station about 1 am with no idea where my hotel was; the second being one particularly drunken evening when I couldn't find the night bus stop - having wandered all the way from Leidseplein (going in the oppposite direction to where I should have been) all the way back to Centraal and even after asking directions from a policeman I still couldn't find it!!

On both occassions I didn't actually have any problems with the taxi, the guys put on the meter, with whatever additions added, and the bill, although a tad more expensive than the night bus, not too wallet-destroying. That said, taxis are expensive and rarely necessary given the excellent public transport options. If you do however need a taxi it is usually best to prearrange with a reputable company, or through your hotel, which will normally quote you a fixed fare.

Number and site below are not a personal recommendation.

• Trains
    • Luxury Travel

• 100% reliable, smart and honest taxi company

by 101David Written Nov 30, 2006

TaxiRotterdam.com is the most helpful and most reliable taxi company I have ever found in the Netherlands. I tried many companies and found poor service, dirty, smoky cars and unpleasant drivers. For the last 12 months I have used Wil every week to meet me at Amsterdam Schiphol airport and take me either to Amsterdam or Rotterdam. Every week, come rain or shine, no matter what the traffic is like or how late the plane has been, Wil has been there, smart, happy, relaxed and always professional. He is a good guy and his car is beautiful - a lovely Chrysler C300 which always gets heads turning. He has NEVER let me down and I feel like I am really being looked after. And for all this I pay no more than for any of the dirty, smelly cars that I had to use before... Honestly, you can rely on Wil.

• Business Travel

• Suggest taking a taxi to your hotel at least

by ACoolJeweledMoon Written May 5, 2006

I was trying to save some money and decided to take the train into Amsterdam from the airport and then just get a cab from there to where I was staying. Let me just say that it would have been worth the additional 15 or so euro to have just gotten the cab to begin with! (And you definitely do not want to have to roll luggage through the cobblestone streets of Amsterdam!) My advice is to splurge a little on the taxi - you won't regret it!

• Try to avoid using taxi's

by leabsinth Written Sep 6, 2005

Taxi's in Amsterdam are the most expensive I've seen in Europe. I wouldn't get use to using taxi's to get around the city. I prefer (like most) using a bike. It is by far the easiest and least expensive way to get around the city. They actually have their own lane. Besides there are a lot of things to see and do.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Skip the taxis

by acemj Updated May 1, 2004

Cabs are available, but overpriced and unnecessary. From the airport, you could take a cab to your hotel and pay roughly 40 Euros, or you could take the train and pay 3.10 Euros to Centraal Station. From there, you can walk or pay another 1.60 Euros and hop the tram to where you need to go.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Furthermore ... taxis and boats

by Pavlik_NL Written Dec 15, 2003

Boats anchored, now-a-days often houseboats

Taxi's are available everywhere, but please do use legal taxi's and not some guy that runs to you offering you a ride. At Schiphol we had - until recently - the blessing not to have this annoying guys, but now-a-days the appear from nowhere, ruining the market. Taxi's in Amsterdam are relatively expensive, but very trustworthy. A legal driver will never try to trick you or drive extra distance to get some extra money.
    Another thing to tell about is the canals and there initial value. Now-a-days however barely seen: transport. Boats are not running up and down the canals anymore to fill the warehouses. There is still traffic on the Amstel though as well as in the busy "IJ", harbours and Amsterdam-Noordzee-canal. This last connects the capitol now-a-days directly with the Northsea and keeps it being an important harbour of the world.

• OSV_Alero's Profile Photo

DO NOT TAKE A CAB WITHOUT THE CAB SIGN

by OSV_Alero Written Jan 28, 2003

My ride to my hotel

Careful when you grab a cab, especially at the airport. There will be people in the airport that try and talk you into taking their cabs, but they aren't real cabs. Take only cabs from the designated cab areas.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam