Train, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Train window
    Granddauhter on the train
    Inside the train
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Comedy of Errors

by grandmaR Updated Apr 28, 2013

Granddauhter on the train

In Rotterdam, none of the ticket machines would take a US credit card, so I had to walk from the back of the station to the front to get tickets. Eventually I left my granddaughter with the bags (when I weighed mine later it was 53 lbs.) and walked up to the money exchange area. It had gotten warm and was sunny, so I was drenched with sweat when I got there, and the lady in the booth gave me a packet of towelettes kind of thing - they were printed with $100 bills (Ben Franklin's face).

I got the train tickets which were 26 euros each but then they gave us the wrong directions to the train. There were steps to go up to get to the platform and I just can't carry my bag and neither can my granddaughter.

Every time someone helped me (and they did), they basically had trouble lifting my bag. It was very stressful and tiring. We ended up on the local train instead of the fast train because I was not going to go up steps and down steps to get to a different train.

But I didn't care - at least I got to Amsterdam. The train went through Utrecht.

We went the wrong direction at the station in Amsterdam and ended up at the back of the station instead of the front where we could have gotten a cab. One of the cabs that had come to pick up specific people called another cab for me, and he did take us to the hotel

• Cruise

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

InterCityExpress International

by Nemorino Updated Jan 20, 2013

1. ICE International in Amsterdam Central Station

When a German consortium stated building InterCityExpress (ICE) trains in the early 1990s, they thought they could market them worldwide and make a bit hit on the export market. Up to now, though, only one non-German railway has ever ordered any of these trains. That is the Netherlands Railway System, which runs them mainly on German tracks between Frankfurt am Main and Amsterdam.

The journey takes only four hours and twenty minutes because part of it is over the new high speed line between Frankfurt and Cologne, where speeds of up to three hundred kilometers per hour are possible.

Second photo: Where the new tracks run parallel to the freeway, you can sit back and watch all those fancy sports cars get left behind by the train.

Third photo: A second-class coach in the ICE International.

Fourth photo: Selling coffee in the ICE International.

Fifth photo: Boarding the ICE International at Cologne (Köln), Germany.

• catherineneill's Profile Photo

Train travel from/to amsterdam from EU

by catherineneill Written May 5, 2011

Hi

Amsterdam is a great location for onward train travel.

You can reach (with high speed train):

Germany:
    Berlin in 6.5 hours, Bonn in 3, Dusseldorf is 2 hours, koln is 3 and frankfurt is 3.5 hours (ICE trains)

Belgium
    1h 54 to Brussels and 1h 12 to Antwerp on Thalys
    Brugges in 3 hours (wonderful town plagued by tourists)

United Kingdom
    London in 5 hours

France
    3h 18 to Paris
    A bit further but worth it is, during the july and august holiday period, the ZonThalys train that goes through Brussels to the south of france - you can get off at marseille or aix en provence in 7 hours!

Switzerland

www.seat61.com

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Trains

by ophiro Written Mar 26, 2011

You can use a train to get to/from Amsterdam.
    The trains are on the central station (north part of Amsterdam).
    I used the train to get to Zaansee Schans - a 2 way ticket cost me 6 Euros (while organized trip will cost 30 Euros).
    There are a lot of places in the station to buy tickets and Information center.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Amstel Station

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 21, 2010

Amstel Station - Interior

The Amstel Station is one of the Amsterdam train stations at the line to the South (City of Utrecht). It was enlarged to accomodate the metro lines to the South (Amstelveen, Bijlmermeer & Arena stadium).

The original building called Weesperpoort station at the end of the railroad to the East dated from December 18, 1843. It was replaced by the present building by architect H.G.J. Schelling, dating from October 15, 1939 as part of the Eastern Amsterdam railroad works.
    The Amstel Station is a monument since 2003.

Street address: Julanaplein 1 - 1097 DN Amsterdam.

Public transport available at this station:

GVB metro:

• June.b's Profile Photo

Train

by June.b Updated Jun 19, 2010

Amsterdam Centrall Station

The impressively designed red huge train station sits on a man made island right in front of the harbor was constructed with controversies - well that's the story or history - which you may not notice unless maybe if you're a city planner or ...uv read the story online.

Anyhoo, chances are you'll end up here if you're getting in or out of Amsterdam to/from your next destination. There are lots of tram that starts and end here - but I prefer to walk, Amsterdam is not that big. The train from Haarlem stops here - a 15 miuntes ride.

For me, it does not only serves as a transport hub, I used it for other handy things. for one, There is a "I amsterdam" tourist office inside the station where I bought a shirt and some other stuff, while most people buy their tours from there, transport cards, maps, and free tourist info.

Secondly, it's a good place to meet up with friends, almost everyone knows the place.

Third, there are some fastfood restaurants inside, stores, a toilet for EUR0.50 and lastly ---

....I took a shower there for EUR5 before boarding the overnight train to Munich - juz cuz checkout time in hotels is normally before noontime and I roam around the city the whole day until late afternoon and feeling dirty. Cost not including towel though which is an extra. Well worth it instead of paying a hefty extra extention rate from the hotel.

• Adventure Travel

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RAIL, WHAT A WAY TO GO!

by travelgourmet Updated Apr 9, 2010

ALL ABOARD !!!

Amsterdam is the center of Holland, the center of excitment, the center for taking the trains to get around Holland. The rail tickets for a day, of on and off at selected cities you want to see, eat, or shop in, may begin early in the morning and you can board your last train a few minutes before midnight.

You can see quite a bit of Holland on this type of day trip. The train cars are kept extremely clean and the ride is smooth and I found it to be one of the better ways to get around Holland.

• Train to Volendam

by tree99 Written Dec 10, 2009

Hello people,

I have plan to travel in Amsterdam for 1 day. I have a day card for the train.
    I need your advice for this traveling plan. I want to travel by train not by bus (if possible).
    Is there anytrain that go to Valendam???

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Train journey

by uglyscot Updated Aug 27, 2009

Not knowing the language meant I had to be prepared to get off the train at Breda and find a bus to my destination in Axel. The trains went fast and did not stop for very long at stations, so an alarm clock was my lifeline. As I knew my expected time of arrival, or at least how long the journey should last , I sat it on the table in front of me, set for my ETA. This worked and I arrived in Breda and got off the train.
    However, trouble almost struck me when I went to find the bus to take me to Axel. I tried asking directions to the bus and was pointed to one. As I got on and asked the driver, he started pointing to another bus that was about to depart. Eventually he managed to attract that driver's attention, manhandle my suitcase off his bus and onto the other. When I got to Axel my penfriend was waiting with her bicycle. We put the suitcase on the bike somehow and wheeled it to her house.

• School Holidays

• johngayton's Profile Photo

From The UK by Train and Ferry

by johngayton Updated Apr 18, 2009

My personal favourite modes of travel are by train and by ferry and whenever time is not a contstraint I'll always look at these options first to get from A to B.

If travelling to Amsterdam (or in fact to any Dutch rail station) from the UK and in no hurry, Stena Line, the ferry company, offers a rail and sail package called the "Dutchflyer". The one-way fare, starting from £29, allows travel from any East Anglian railway station, including London Liverpool Street, to any station in the Netherlands (and vice-versa on return) and includes the ferry crossing between Harwich and Hook of Holland.

This is not the fastest way to travel but it is a pleasant journey and if you have time then an afternoon/evening out in Harwich before sailing makes for a pleasant digression. There are two sailings daily, in both directions: a daytime crossing and an overnight one. The crossing takes about 6 hours and the train connections at either end are fairly well integrated with the sailing times. This makes for a day journey from London to Amsterdam (centre to centre) about 10 hours travel in total including check-ins.

Personally I usually take the overnight boat and book a cabin (compulsory on overnight sailings) which makes for a totally stress-free trip. Last check-in at each end is 30 minutes before sailing but you can board the boat usually up to 2 hours beforehand and thus are able to take advantage of the onboard facilities - in my case read "facilities" as "bar" - which include a choice of bars and restaurants, mini-casino, duty-free shop, cinema, and for families there are play areas for both teenagers and tots.

The ships are modern and comfortable and unless the weather is extremely rough the crossing pleasant.

Booking via Stena Line's website is in two parts. First you book your train (noting that this is not a reservation and you can take any train that gets there on time) and then your ferry. I did miss my booked ferry once when there was a problem with the train but they simply rebooked me on the next sailing with no surcharge.

Once booked tickets are sent by post but I'm not sure whether they can be sent to non-UK address, or even if the deal is available to non-UK residents.

Link below takes you to the relevant booking form.

• Beer Tasting

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Train from HAmburg

by Rupanworld Written Feb 2, 2008

Amsterdam Centraal station

Well I took a train from Hamburg, and a special fare return ticket to Amsterdam cost me only a little less than 80 Euros. I thought it was a good bargain. There are no cheap flights directly from Hamburg to Amsterday, atleast not cheaper than this price. The duration of th ejourney was 5 hours 14 minutes.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Train

by el_ruso Written Aug 29, 2007

We had a rental car for a week and wanted to stop at a couple of attractions on the way to Amsterdam, but if all you want to see is Amsterdam and you don't have a rental car, I would strongly recommend taking a train instead of driving.

It is a lot more convenient, cheaper, and you don't have to pay parking.

The immense train station is in the very center of Amsterdam and convenient to all the sites. The area in front appeared very safe late at night, too.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Everything you need to know about trains

by ATLC Updated Apr 10, 2007

Dutch railway (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) has an excellent website for English readers.
    The train network in The Netherlands is quite dense so you can go just about anywhere.
    Includes train schedules and prices.
    Click link below and click 'English' at the top.

• IoannaE's Profile Photo

Make sure you have change

by IoannaE Written Aug 29, 2006

In train stations you will find ticket-selling machines that cover all of Holland - find the town, which is given a code number, punch in code number, type of ticket etc. and it will tell you how much to pay. Apart from saving you time, this system saves you money - if you join the queue and get your ticket from the booth you'll be charged extra (e.g. from Amsterdam to the airport cost me .50 cents extra, so I paid 4.10 instead of 3.60.). That can add up, so make sure you have plenty of change.

Also, note that in some smaller stations you may not get service at all on Sundays or after hours, so the automatic ticket selling machine is your only option.

• SnoopySue's Profile Photo

Rail pass

by SnoopySue Written Feb 5, 2005

Amsterdam is not car friendly city. You can spend a day looking for free parking lots in inner city. So we decided to leave the car in Haarlem (where we were accomodated) and to buy one week rail pass valid for unlimited travel throughout Holland. It was very good bargain saving our money and nerves. Highly reccomendable!

Instant Answers: Amsterdam