Train, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Train window
    Granddauhter on the train
    Inside the train
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Everything you need to know about trains

by ATLC Updated Apr 10, 2007

Dutch railway (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) has an excellent website for English readers.
    The train network in The Netherlands is quite dense so you can go just about anywhere.
    Includes train schedules and prices.
    Click link below and click 'English' at the top.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

InterCityExpress International

by Nemorino Updated Jan 20, 2013

1. ICE International in Amsterdam Central Station

When a German consortium stated building InterCityExpress (ICE) trains in the early 1990s, they thought they could market them worldwide and make a bit hit on the export market. Up to now, though, only one non-German railway has ever ordered any of these trains. That is the Netherlands Railway System, which runs them mainly on German tracks between Frankfurt am Main and Amsterdam.

The journey takes only four hours and twenty minutes because part of it is over the new high speed line between Frankfurt and Cologne, where speeds of up to three hundred kilometers per hour are possible.

Second photo: Where the new tracks run parallel to the freeway, you can sit back and watch all those fancy sports cars get left behind by the train.

Third photo: A second-class coach in the ICE International.

Fourth photo: Selling coffee in the ICE International.

Fifth photo: Boarding the ICE International at Cologne (Köln), Germany.

• guell's Profile Photo

Train travel to/from Amsterdam

by guell Written May 27, 2003

Amsterdam's train station as seen from the canal

Amsterdam can easily be reached by train from many European cities. In fact, we traveled from Paris to Amsterdam in just a few hours. The trains are clean and comfortable, and first class is actually affordable. Non-Europeans can purchase discount Eurail tickets online or from a travel agency back home.

• Business Travel

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Comedy of Errors

by grandmaR Updated Apr 28, 2013

Granddauhter on the train

In Rotterdam, none of the ticket machines would take a US credit card, so I had to walk from the back of the station to the front to get tickets. Eventually I left my granddaughter with the bags (when I weighed mine later it was 53 lbs.) and walked up to the money exchange area. It had gotten warm and was sunny, so I was drenched with sweat when I got there, and the lady in the booth gave me a packet of towelettes kind of thing - they were printed with $100 bills (Ben Franklin's face).

I got the train tickets which were 26 euros each but then they gave us the wrong directions to the train. There were steps to go up to get to the platform and I just can't carry my bag and neither can my granddaughter.

Every time someone helped me (and they did), they basically had trouble lifting my bag. It was very stressful and tiring. We ended up on the local train instead of the fast train because I was not going to go up steps and down steps to get to a different train.

But I didn't care - at least I got to Amsterdam. The train went through Utrecht.

We went the wrong direction at the station in Amsterdam and ended up at the back of the station instead of the front where we could have gotten a cab. One of the cabs that had come to pick up specific people called another cab for me, and he did take us to the hotel

• Cruise

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RAIL, WHAT A WAY TO GO!

by travelgourmet Updated Apr 9, 2010

ALL ABOARD !!!

Amsterdam is the center of Holland, the center of excitment, the center for taking the trains to get around Holland. The rail tickets for a day, of on and off at selected cities you want to see, eat, or shop in, may begin early in the morning and you can board your last train a few minutes before midnight.

You can see quite a bit of Holland on this type of day trip. The train cars are kept extremely clean and the ride is smooth and I found it to be one of the better ways to get around Holland.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Train from HAmburg

by Rupanworld Written Feb 2, 2008

Amsterdam Centraal station

Well I took a train from Hamburg, and a special fare return ticket to Amsterdam cost me only a little less than 80 Euros. I thought it was a good bargain. There are no cheap flights directly from Hamburg to Amsterday, atleast not cheaper than this price. The duration of th ejourney was 5 hours 14 minutes.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Ha! that must be by train!...

by nighthawk Updated Feb 23, 2003

Train

that must be by train! Parking space is a rare thing in Amsterdam!If you want to know more, go to Access to Amsterdam without aggro .
    You can walk, go on a boat trip or jump on a tram. Either way you get from one point to another :-)!There's a museumboat that takes you to the most beautiful spots and off course to some musea, it does not cost much and it is great fun!Animated gif from this site: http://www.bmz.amsterdam.nl/.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Train

by June.b Updated Jun 19, 2010

Amsterdam Centrall Station

The impressively designed red huge train station sits on a man made island right in front of the harbor was constructed with controversies - well that's the story or history - which you may not notice unless maybe if you're a city planner or ...uv read the story online.

Anyhoo, chances are you'll end up here if you're getting in or out of Amsterdam to/from your next destination. There are lots of tram that starts and end here - but I prefer to walk, Amsterdam is not that big. The train from Haarlem stops here - a 15 miuntes ride.

For me, it does not only serves as a transport hub, I used it for other handy things. for one, There is a "I amsterdam" tourist office inside the station where I bought a shirt and some other stuff, while most people buy their tours from there, transport cards, maps, and free tourist info.

Secondly, it's a good place to meet up with friends, almost everyone knows the place.

Third, there are some fastfood restaurants inside, stores, a toilet for EUR0.50 and lastly ---

....I took a shower there for EUR5 before boarding the overnight train to Munich - juz cuz checkout time in hotels is normally before noontime and I roam around the city the whole day until late afternoon and feeling dirty. Cost not including towel though which is an extra. Well worth it instead of paying a hefty extra extention rate from the hotel.

• Adventure Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Train to Amsterdam

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jan 23, 2005

Utrecht to Amstrdam ticket

We found the train to be a very convenient way into the city. During both of my visits, we drove to Utrecht, parked the car and took the train the last 39 km. Back in 1999 it cost 19.75 Netherlands Guilder. Today this 30 minute ride costs 6.10 Euro for full-fare second class and only 3.70 Euro for reduced fare second class.

Due to its central location in the nation, Utrecht is the rail hub for the entire country.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Train journey

by uglyscot Updated Aug 27, 2009

Not knowing the language meant I had to be prepared to get off the train at Breda and find a bus to my destination in Axel. The trains went fast and did not stop for very long at stations, so an alarm clock was my lifeline. As I knew my expected time of arrival, or at least how long the journey should last , I sat it on the table in front of me, set for my ETA. This worked and I arrived in Breda and got off the train.
    However, trouble almost struck me when I went to find the bus to take me to Axel. I tried asking directions to the bus and was pointed to one. As I got on and asked the driver, he started pointing to another bus that was about to depart. Eventually he managed to attract that driver's attention, manhandle my suitcase off his bus and onto the other. When I got to Axel my penfriend was waiting with her bicycle. We put the suitcase on the bike somehow and wheeled it to her house.

• School Holidays

• johngayton's Profile Photo

From The UK by Train and Ferry

by johngayton Updated Apr 18, 2009

My personal favourite modes of travel are by train and by ferry and whenever time is not a contstraint I'll always look at these options first to get from A to B.

If travelling to Amsterdam (or in fact to any Dutch rail station) from the UK and in no hurry, Stena Line, the ferry company, offers a rail and sail package called the "Dutchflyer". The one-way fare, starting from £29, allows travel from any East Anglian railway station, including London Liverpool Street, to any station in the Netherlands (and vice-versa on return) and includes the ferry crossing between Harwich and Hook of Holland.

This is not the fastest way to travel but it is a pleasant journey and if you have time then an afternoon/evening out in Harwich before sailing makes for a pleasant digression. There are two sailings daily, in both directions: a daytime crossing and an overnight one. The crossing takes about 6 hours and the train connections at either end are fairly well integrated with the sailing times. This makes for a day journey from London to Amsterdam (centre to centre) about 10 hours travel in total including check-ins.

Personally I usually take the overnight boat and book a cabin (compulsory on overnight sailings) which makes for a totally stress-free trip. Last check-in at each end is 30 minutes before sailing but you can board the boat usually up to 2 hours beforehand and thus are able to take advantage of the onboard facilities - in my case read "facilities" as "bar" - which include a choice of bars and restaurants, mini-casino, duty-free shop, cinema, and for families there are play areas for both teenagers and tots.

The ships are modern and comfortable and unless the weather is extremely rough the crossing pleasant.

Booking via Stena Line's website is in two parts. First you book your train (noting that this is not a reservation and you can take any train that gets there on time) and then your ferry. I did miss my booked ferry once when there was a problem with the train but they simply rebooked me on the next sailing with no surcharge.

Once booked tickets are sent by post but I'm not sure whether they can be sent to non-UK address, or even if the deal is available to non-UK residents.

Link below takes you to the relevant booking form.

• Beer Tasting

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Trains

by ophiro Written Mar 26, 2011

You can use a train to get to/from Amsterdam.
    The trains are on the central station (north part of Amsterdam).
    I used the train to get to Zaansee Schans - a 2 way ticket cost me 6 Euros (while organized trip will cost 30 Euros).
    There are a lot of places in the station to buy tickets and Information center.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Amstel Station

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 21, 2010

Amstel Station - Interior

The Amstel Station is one of the Amsterdam train stations at the line to the South (City of Utrecht). It was enlarged to accomodate the metro lines to the South (Amstelveen, Bijlmermeer & Arena stadium).

The original building called Weesperpoort station at the end of the railroad to the East dated from December 18, 1843. It was replaced by the present building by architect H.G.J. Schelling, dating from October 15, 1939 as part of the Eastern Amsterdam railroad works.
    The Amstel Station is a monument since 2003.

Street address: Julanaplein 1 - 1097 DN Amsterdam.

Public transport available at this station:

GVB metro:

157-Almere Haven

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Discovering Every Nook & Cranny In Amsterdam ;-p

by Krystynn Updated Jan 19, 2004

You can walk or take the many trams available (highly recommended), buses or the metro (subway). In the rare instances when you do get lost, just head straight to the nearest bus or tram stop. They have great maps of Amsterdam posted up to help you find your way back.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Getting There...

by CandS Written Apr 17, 2003

Our very well used Eurail Ticket...

We took a train to Amsterdam from Bacharach (Germany) which took around six hours. Then we headed out to Hoorn (a town above Amsterdam) via train which took around an hour.

From Amsterdam we went to Brussels which took around three hours.

The trains were fairly good but sometimes ran a little late... The timetables were easy to work out though.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam