Train to & from Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

train ticket to airport
  • dila's Profile Photo

schipholtrain and amsterdam daypass(es) in 1

by dila Updated Mar 13, 2013

update 2013
    This does not exist no more as all will change to a chipcard system soon.
    for tourist info go to

Holland Tourist Information
    Schiphol Airport, Arrivals 2 at Schiphol Plaza
    Tel: +31 (0)20 702 6000
    Opening times: Monday - Sunday 07:00 - 22:00

Think they sell the Iamsterdam card but dont think that includes the train.

updated 2010
    Amsterdam All in 1 Travel Ticket (Aai1TT)

The Amsterdam All in 1 Travel Ticket is only available at the Holland Tourist Information desk at Schiphol Airport (opposite Arrival Hall 2, open daily from 07.00 – 22.00 hrs.)

You can use the card for:
    - Returnticket train Schiphol- Amsterdam (Train comapany NS)
    - 24, 48, 72 or 96 hour travelling through Amsterdam tram, metro and (night)bus of the GVB company (this are all tramlines 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,12,13,14,16,17,24,25 and 26.
    metrolines 50,51,53 and 54
    with busses it need to be GVB company like 15,18, 19,21, 22 and more ( mostly white/ blue busses)

Prices 2010
    24 hours € 13.20
    48 hours € 17.25
    72 hours € 20.85
    96 hours € 24.45

It is cheaper then buying your ticket separeted
    pictures is taken from the site of my work. (Its a old picture from the paper ticket)
    New Ticket is a chipcard
    With chipcards you need to check in and check out othjerwise they will not work.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

How to buy tickets for public transport

by yumyum Written Oct 29, 2012

48 hour card

Arriving in Schipol airport I faced the first challange when I bought a train ticket at the ticket machine to Amsterdam.

It actually gave me two choice of routes. I then bought the cheaper one (Euro 3.80 in October 2012). As it turned out this is for any sprinter train. You may use any train BUT the Fyra trains which cost a supplement. Since the train journey is short anyway there is no point in buying the more expensive ticket IMO. What upset me, was that if you pay by credit card there is a surcharge of 50 cents. Not having a debit card which I can use abroad, I had no option to get the ticket at its basic price. The machines don't take cash and apparently when you buy it at the counter there is a surcharge too.

For Amsterdam itself, I bought us 48 hour cards at the GVB office in front of the Central Railway station in Amsterdam. You will find this office to the left of the tourist office with a separate entrance. I bought the tickets from the card with pin machine at no surcharge for credit cards. You could also draw a number and buy it from the counter.

From the tram/bus driver you can only buy a one hour or 24 hour card. Please note that if you want to buy a top up card, then the basic card costs you 5 Euro. IMO this is only worth it when you plan to revisit Amsterdam various times within 3 years.

• Train Amsterdam to the airport Schiphol

by Nanti Written May 7, 2012

I went with my boyfriend to Amsterdam for vacations for 5 days. We took the train tickets early hours of the day for departure.We went to the station,check the tickets and departed.In the next stop,the controller entered in the train and look the tickets. He said that our tickets were invalid and that we should pay penalties for that. I explained that we didn't know that and we had not money because someone steale us (this was real) and we should go to the airport for our flight to Greece.He denied it and he was very rude. We really didn't know this process...He said that he will lead us to the police. Another passenger came forward to pay the penalty for us, and he accepted that. Thank godness!

And i want ask something...Why the emploees of the station did not inform us correct about the tickets??? They were unacceptable..

• Seniors
    • Singles

• SandiMandi's Profile Photo

Direct train to the city

by SandiMandi Written Apr 5, 2012

After arriving at Schiphol airport, the easiest and I believe the cheapest way to get to the centre of Amsterdam is taking the train. The train goes directly to the central station in about 15 mins. The trains leave straight from the airport, so you can't miss them. Just follow the train station signs after the baggage claim area.

You can buy tickets to the trains from a machine or from the counters. The price for one-way ticket is 4,30 EUR when bought from the counter, it includes 0,50 EUR transaction cost.

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

To and from Schiphol Airport

by mickeyboy07 Written Mar 17, 2012

Central Station

The safest,fastest and cheapest way to get to the City Centre from the Airport is the train.Operating every 15 mins to Central station from Schiphol Airport,just follow the train signs which lead to the platforms under the airport.Pay at the tourist kiosk or ticket machines.Price is 4 Euros 60 per person.Coming from Central station to the Airport is much the same,use machines for tickets or kiosk at the same price,trains to Schiphol from the station usually go from platform 11A,best to check when you buy ticket.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TRAIN TO/FROM SCHIPHOL

by LoriPori Written Jun 22, 2011

Old Train Station

Today, Wednesday, June 1, 2011, we are going to Schiphol for the day with Hans' sister and husband. First we took the IBIS shuttle to the airport. We headed for the Train Tickets section where Nel bought our train tickets. She gets a discount on the tickets, so we paid 2,20 Euros each for a one-way ticket (regular price is 3.60 Euros). With tickets in hand, we made our way to the platform where we would take the train which leaves quite often. The journey is about 20 minutes and brings you to Amsterdam Centraal. Make sure you do not travel without a ticket as the fines are quite steep if you are caught.

• nessa_gnatoush's Profile Photo

How to get to Amsterdam from Schiphol

by nessa_gnatoush Updated Apr 4, 2011

The easiest and cheapest way to get to the city from airport is to take train. Usually, there is a train every 15-20 minutes, so you will not wait too long.

Tickets can be bought either in the special ticket-box or with help of the sales-person.

You must have a valid ticket or pass on trains and platforms. From 1 October 2005 a fine of 35 euro is added to the fare if you're traveling without a valid ticket.
    Folding bicycles may be carried free of charge, if they are completely folded. Other bicycles may only be carried during non-peak hours and at an extra charge. They should be parked at the indicated places.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad
    • Adventure Travel

• lina112's Profile Photo

From Schiphol to Central Station

by lina112 Updated Mar 7, 2011

The best option to go to Amsterdam from the airport is by train, it cost 3.60 euros and it takes 20 minutes to reach central station. The tickets are sold on the yellow machines situated at Schiphol plaza, don´t buy the ticket on the ticket sales office because they are more expensive. On the way back to the airport on Saturday they weren´t direct trains to the airport, we took a train from platform 7ª to Ámsterdam Sloterdijk and there from platform 10 another train to the airport.

La mejor opción para ir desde el aeropuerto al centro es en tren, cuesta 3.60 euros y tarda unos 20 minutos en llegar a la estación central. Los billetes los puedes comprar en las maquinas amarillas que hay junto al acceso a los andenes en el Schiphol Plaza, si lo haces en las ventanillas de venta de billetes tendrás que pagar un extra. En la vuelta al aeropuerto en sábado no había trenes directos al aeropuerto, había que coger el tren desde el anden 7a a la estación de Ámsterdam Sloterdijk y desde allí coger el tren hacia el aeropuerto en el anden 10.

• Architecture

Traveling by Train (2nd Class):

Schiphol (Airport) to Amsterdam Central: € 3.70

Amsterdam Central to Den Haag Central: € 10.70

Amsterdam Central to Utrecht Central: € 6.70

- By a ticket at a kiosk (check for payment by coins or credit).
    - Second Class is cheaper.
    - After ticket purchase, check the time/departure board for your platform number.

Traveling by Tram: € 2.60

- Enter either front of back of the tram (check for payee stand).
    - After you purchase a ticket, swipe it in front of the chip card reader (and again when you exit
    the tram).
    - Tram will announce stops and a LED sign will list the upcoming and next two stops.
    - The payee attendant can give you a tram map (Public Transport/Tour Guide booklet).
    - Trams buses and metros run from 06.00 to 00.30. Night buses run from 00.30 to 07.00.

• dila's Profile Photo

trains to and from shiphol - amsterdam

by dila Updated Jan 22, 2011

For transport Schiphol -Amsterdam and public transport in Amsterdam tickets

public transport in Netherlands

www.9292ov.nl

• 'nice' ticket controllers on train to Schiphol

by polarized Written Oct 7, 2009

I and my friends had a very unpleasant situation leaving Amsterdam on the train to the Schiphol Airport.

I with my friends arrived at the Schiphol airport Friday evening. We went to the ticket office and bought round-trip tickets.

Then it was time to go back home. On Tuesday morning we took a taxi to the central train station in Amsterdam. We knew that we bought round-trip tickets not to waste time to buy tickets when we are going back to the airport. When the controllers asked for our tickets I and my girlfriend gave them our tickets. They said the tickets were not valid. We said that we bought round-trip tickets at the airport. But they said that we had to use them the same day. We said that we didn’t know that. They seemed to understand our situation and asked us to get off the train at the next station and buy valid tickets. We agreed and went to the exit. By that time they were checking my friend’s and his girlfriend’s tickets which of course were the same as ours. They were ready to get off the train and buy new tickets. Suddenly, the controllers changed their mind and said that we have to pay a fine. We tried to explain the situation once more. They did not care. Then I asked if I can pay with my credit card because we didn’t have that much money left (almost 40 EUR for each of us). One of the controllers said I can at first. But later he said he meant that he can escort me to the ATM. But they didn’t like the idea. So they insisted so that we pay cash in the train or they wouldn’t let us out. They offered a deal to pay only 40 EUR from each pair. We said that we want to go to the ticket office and check if the tickets were not valid. Because we weren’t told that they were valid only for one day and we couldn’t read what was written on them because none of us does not know Dutch. We managed to get off the train at the Airport station. We proposed that if they don’t have a machine for credit cards we can pay fine in the office or they could issue a fine notice which we can pay in Russia. They refused these options and said that we talked too much and now they were taking us to the police station and we would have to pay all the four fines instead of two. They brought us to the police station and talked with the officer in their language. Then we explained the situation. The police officer took all our passports and said that we have to deal only with those guys. I asked if I can call to the Russian embassy if they hold us here but my request was refused. Then we had no time because we were almost late for our flight. We found money for 2 fines and the other two they said they would send to us so that we could pay in Russia.

All in all, all those people were rude. When I asked to show their ID. One of them flashed his ID to my face so I could not read anything. When I told him I needed his name he just in the performance of his duties and I don’t have the right to know his name. All this seems odd to me.

Why they could send the two fines to Russia and not all of them? Is it such a serious breach of law that we weren’t aware that the tickets are valid for only one day? We paid the same price as if we bought one-way ticket on our arrival and one-way ticket on our departure.

The weekend at Amsterdam was good but what happened in the train left a bitter taste after the trip.

I prefer taxi now.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Trains from Schiphol

by georeiser Updated Aug 28, 2009

Trains from Schiphol to Amsterdam

The train network is good in and around Amsterdam. There are frequent departures from Schipol to the city, and it's a fast way to travel. The use two storey trains. Schiphol - Amsterdam Central Station tour/retour costs 7 Euro and the ticket is valid through the day.

The network between the cities in Netherlands and the west-Europe is good.

• Architecture

• jo104's Profile Photo

From Schipol to Amsterdam centraal

by jo104 Updated Aug 12, 2009

A single ticket 2nd class to Amsterdam Centraal from the airport will cost EUR3.80 from the machine

Bear in mind it is better to purchase a ticket from the machines as the ticket office charges a EUR 0.50 transaction fee.

The trains come regularly & are now mostly all non-smoking carriages & very clean, do make sure you are not sitting in a 1st class carriage. You can view timetables as well as prices & info in Dutch & Engish on the website.

The journey takes approx 15min. An intercity is the fastest service. A Snel trein is a fast train, a stop train makes a few stops inbetween & takes a bit longer.

Make sure you select 2nd class and full fare as if you select discount and do not have a discount card or travelling with a discount card holder you will incur a fine of Eur35. Check your ticket carefully and if you have to reselect your options clear the screen & start again.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Take the train

by malianrob Written Nov 25, 2008

We took the train from the airport to Amsterdam. It was really easy. There are little booths that you can purchase your ticket from. You just pick your language and then follow the instructions. If its still too confusing there is the ticket place inside the airport where you can have an actual person help you and answer any questions you might have. If you use an actualpersaon at the ticket counter you will be charged an additional .50cents euro. If you are really confused and dont want to end up somewhere that you dont want to be thisis the route to go.
    We had three big suitcases and two hand luggage, I have to tell you it was alittle complicated with all that luggage but we did it! It was an experience. We paid about 3.50euro to take the train from the airport to Amsterdam. If you take a taxiit would have been about 45.00euro so its a big difference.
    Another thing, if you take the train be listening for your stop. Sometimes it ishard to understand what the conductor is saying. We had to ask the lady next to us a few times "what did he say? " Dont be affraid to ask,people are usually very helpful.

• mmyerspa's Profile Photo

20 minutes from airport to Amsterdam centraal stat

by mmyerspa Written Oct 25, 2008

Very frequent trains run to/from Schipol Airport and Amsterdam Centraal Station. The ride is about 20 minutes...very quick and convenient.

If you're using an American (US $) credit card, beware that they may not work in the automatic ticket machines. I was there in January 2007, and I had to go to a ticket agent.

• Museum Visits