Train to & from Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

platform 11b
    by yumyum
  • Roaminmn's Profile Photo

Caution on the train

by Roaminmn Written Dec 15, 2002

You can take the train from the airport to Central Station, it is only a few dollars (maybe 3?) but I recomend taking a cab to your hotel prior to riding the train. It may coast up to 30 dollars US or 30 Euro, but it is much safer. There are a lot of pick pockets on the train and they are good, you will busy with the sights and your luggage and they will be busy robbing you... wait until you have gotten settled and have your luggage put away. I personally walk Amsterdam, great way to see the city and it's only about 25 minutes across via walking.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Trains from Schiphol

by georeiser Updated Aug 28, 2009

The train network is good in and around Amsterdam. There are frequent departures from Schipol to the city, and it's a fast way to travel. The use two storey trains. Schiphol - Amsterdam Central Station tour/retour costs 7 Euro and the ticket is valid through the day.

The network between the cities in Netherlands and the west-Europe is good.

Trains from Schiphol to Amsterdam Trains from Schiphol to Amsterdam Trains from Schiphol to Amsterdam Trains from Schiphol to Amsterdam
    • Architecture

• 'nice' ticket controllers on train to Schiphol

by polarized Written Oct 7, 2009

I and my friends had a very unpleasant situation leaving Amsterdam on the train to the Schiphol Airport.

I with my friends arrived at the Schiphol airport Friday evening. We went to the ticket office and bought round-trip tickets.

Then it was time to go back home. On Tuesday morning we took a taxi to the central train station in Amsterdam. We knew that we bought round-trip tickets not to waste time to buy tickets when we are going back to the airport. When the controllers asked for our tickets I and my girlfriend gave them our tickets. They said the tickets were not valid. We said that we bought round-trip tickets at the airport. But they said that we had to use them the same day. We said that we didn’t know that. They seemed to understand our situation and asked us to get off the train at the next station and buy valid tickets. We agreed and went to the exit. By that time they were checking my friend’s and his girlfriend’s tickets which of course were the same as ours. They were ready to get off the train and buy new tickets. Suddenly, the controllers changed their mind and said that we have to pay a fine. We tried to explain the situation once more. They did not care. Then I asked if I can pay with my credit card because we didn’t have that much money left (almost 40 EUR for each of us). One of the controllers said I can at first. But later he said he meant that he can escort me to the ATM. But they didn’t like the idea. So they insisted so that we pay cash in the train or they wouldn’t let us out. They offered a deal to pay only 40 EUR from each pair. We said that we want to go to the ticket office and check if the tickets were not valid. Because we weren’t told that they were valid only for one day and we couldn’t read what was written on them because none of us does not know Dutch. We managed to get off the train at the Airport station. We proposed that if they don’t have a machine for credit cards we can pay fine in the office or they could issue a fine notice which we can pay in Russia. They refused these options and said that we talked too much and now they were taking us to the police station and we would have to pay all the four fines instead of two. They brought us to the police station and talked with the officer in their language. Then we explained the situation. The police officer took all our passports and said that we have to deal only with those guys. I asked if I can call to the Russian embassy if they hold us here but my request was refused. Then we had no time because we were almost late for our flight. We found money for 2 fines and the other two they said they would send to us so that we could pay in Russia.

All in all, all those people were rude. When I asked to show their ID. One of them flashed his ID to my face so I could not read anything. When I told him I needed his name he just in the performance of his duties and I don’t have the right to know his name. All this seems odd to me.

Why they could send the two fines to Russia and not all of them? Is it such a serious breach of law that we weren’t aware that the tickets are valid for only one day? We paid the same price as if we bought one-way ticket on our arrival and one-way ticket on our departure.

The weekend at Amsterdam was good but what happened in the train left a bitter taste after the trip.

I prefer taxi now.

• elPierro's Profile Photo

Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam - Train

by elPierro Written Oct 2, 2006

How do you get from Schiphol to Amsterdam easily? Well my best bet would be the train. For about €3 Euro you will experience the Dutch railway system. Which is, many trains, many people and some delays. The train station is in the main hall of the airport and is pretty big. Direct connections throughout the country are available on high frequencies. Every 5 to 10 minutes you travel to and from the Central Station which will be your best bet. Some more remote hotels might offer a better stop at Sloterdijk or Amstel station but that's yours to discover.

The ride is about 20 minutes to the central station. You can take local & intercity trains for the same fare, only the international trains require a surcharge.

Central station

• etrehumain's Profile Photo

Always on time

by etrehumain Updated Dec 21, 2006

To get to Amsterdam, the easiest way is still by plane from Schiphol airport but the train is also great. I had a plane ticket Montreal-Paris and then i had one train ticket from Paris to Amsterdam with Thalys train. I was impress with the time schedules that were always respected and with the confortable second class ticket i had.

If you are from North America, go to this web site to buy your tickets and pass (i had the 4 days Benelux pass that was good for Paris-Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Brussels, Brussels-Gent-Brussels and finally Brussels-Paris) RailEurope. You will receive it by mail before leaving and it will be simpler when you are in Europe (less stress).

Ready ? Breaking the wind Rleax and enjoy the view
    • Study Abroad

• carfan's Profile Photo

From Airport by Train

by carfan Written Aug 2, 2005

It never ceases to amaze me how slick and efficient the link from the airport to the Amsterdam Centraal is. Yoiu might have to walk a fair distance before you can collect your luggage, but then ur ready to catch the train direct from the airport.

The double decker trains always leave on time (as we found to our cost!).They are always clean and staff friendly.

You buy your tickeys from machines before you travel.With straight forward instructions to follow, buying tickets is so easy!

It cost 3 Euros 40. for a single journey from the airport to the Centraal station. First time visitors may go for the easy option of a taxi but please take the train. The taxi will cost you about 30 euros approx.

The train will arrive at Centraal Station and its a simple case of coming out of the main entrance and crossing the road to catch a tram if you need to, but the centre of town is easy to reach on foot.

Centraal Station

• mustardgirl's Profile Photo

From Schipol Airport

by mustardgirl Written Mar 13, 2004

Get a train to Amsterdam Central Station. Train ride takes about 20 minutes and costs about 3 EUR for one-way ticket.
    Train platforms are underground. On a side of train you can see a sign with final destination written on it. If in doubt ask the driver, we almost took the wrong train.

From Amsterdam to Schipol be sure to have enough time. Our train was delayed 20 minutes and when it came it had some technical problems, so it didn’t leave after all! Luckily there is plenty of trains going to Schipol so we didn’t miss our flight. I’m not sure how common this is but be warned!

• Gypsy_Saskia's Profile Photo

From Amsterdam, trains run to...

by Gypsy_Saskia Written Sep 7, 2002

From Amsterdam, trains run to pretty much the whole country. If you arrive on Schiphol, it is only 20 minutes by train to the city center (and cheap too). The photo shows the main railway station, from there you walk right into the center.
    For the courageous travellers: rent a bike and cycle through town. Otherwise trams are fine, they take you everywhere you want to go and run frequently (though never on schedule). In some trams, you can get a free map of Amsterdam with the tramlines on it. This is a good help to get around.

• Marky_Mark's Profile Photo

If you arrive by airplane just...

by Marky_Mark Written Sep 8, 2002

If you arrive by airplane just buy a trainticket to Amsterdam Central Station
    The best way getting around in Amsterdam is by bicycle. You can rent one on various places. Watch the traffic and take care your tires don't end up in a tram rail, else you will be a big laugh for the people around.
    Here you can find cycling routes in Amsterdam.

Another option is by public transportation (tram or bus). If you arrive on Central Station, on the opposite is the tourist information (VVV) where you can get a map of Amsterdam for free.
    The cheapest way is to buy a ticket in advance (strippenkaart) of 15 or 45 zones. If you need to buy a ticket in the tram or bus it's a lot more expensive.

• Train to Amsterdam from Schipol

by MrMonkey Updated Aug 5, 2007

I did not take the shuttle bus from Schipol when I arrived, so I do not know how much it costs. However, I did take the train that took me right to Centraal Station in a matter of 20 minutes. The ride is fast and comfortable, tickets can be purchased in Schipol from one of many machines (for which a Mastercard or a European bank card is preferable) or from tellers. Either way, it is inexpensive, costing around ~2.20 Euros for the one way trip.

All in all, it is the cheapest way to get to Amsterdam from Schipol and a good way to get learn the fairly easy train system in Holland.

• Train Amsterdam to the airport Schiphol

by Nanti Written May 7, 2012

I went with my boyfriend to Amsterdam for vacations for 5 days. We took the train tickets early hours of the day for departure.We went to the station,check the tickets and departed.In the next stop,the controller entered in the train and look the tickets. He said that our tickets were invalid and that we should pay penalties for that. I explained that we didn't know that and we had not money because someone steale us (this was real) and we should go to the airport for our flight to Greece.He denied it and he was very rude. We really didn't know this process...He said that he will lead us to the police. Another passenger came forward to pay the penalty for us, and he accepted that. Thank godness!

And i want ask something...Why the emploees of the station did not inform us correct about the tickets??? They were unacceptable..

• Seniors
    • Singles

• Fly into Schiphol airport,...

by arigato Written Sep 2, 2002

Fly into Schiphol airport, take the train to Centraal Station.
    The trams are the best way although figuring out where to find the passes is a challenge. I could never find out where they were sold. If you get on without a pass and there isn't anyone to take tickets at the back of the tram, you can ride for free but I wouldn't count on this happening all the time. (And it definitely isn't legal.) As Amsterdam is not a very big city, you can cover a lot of ground on foot. Many locals ride bicycles also.

• kjellsson's Profile Photo

To get from Schipol Airport

by kjellsson Written Jul 20, 2007

The train from Schipol Airport is very cheap, easy and quick. Buy your ticket before getting on the train, altough I have never seen a conductor on the train...
    On the plus side is also that you arrive to the central station in Amsterdam, from which it is very easy to get around the city by the tram.

• drmorf's Profile Photo

I've flown from Seattle to...

by drmorf Written Aug 26, 2002

I've flown from Seattle to Amsterdam, and then taken the train from Schipol to Centraal Station. I've also arrived by train at Centraal Station. Centraal Station is centrally located (no pun intended)and you can catch a tram or the Metro to other points.
    Walk or take the trams. A great city for wandering.

• mocca's Profile Photo

Most people will arive at...

by mocca Updated Aug 26, 2002

Most people will arive at Schiphol airport and take the train to Amsterdam. And from anywhere in europe you can get there with the train
    The best way is to take the tram, rent a bike and just walk around the city

Instant Answers: Amsterdam