Drug Dealers, Amsterdam

Know about this?

• inside a coffee shop - just watching not smoking
    inside a coffee shop - just watching not...
    by ophiro
    red light district alley
    by ophiro
  • Drug Dealers
    by LrSorr
  • Be prepared when you plan to buy illegal drugs

by bananaman30 Updated Jul 19, 2011

I saw tips that you should not buy drugs at all (except the coffeeshops and smartshops) and that it's illegal. That's true. But that's not the mentality of giving tips and information as we are used to in the Netherlands.
    What I mean to say is for example: if a tourist want xtc, there is no one to stop them. The first advise is: don't buy and use xtc, but most of them will ignore that advise.

So if you're planning to buy drugs like cocaine, xtc, amphetamines, lsd or whatever you want the first thing you have to know (like many people here gave that advice): don't buy drugs on street. As told many times: most streetdealers are only selling fake stuff.
    But I know for sure: even the person who is reading this and didn't got the drugs the one is looking for at the last day, this person can be desperate and deside to take the risk and still buy drugs of streetdealers, most found at the red light destrict and sometimes nearby hostels. In the RLD they can be forcing a little bit. Nearby hostels most of the times are students who only try to sell something to obvious tourists who are looking like they want some fun (so they are more selecting the people to approach). Also for the hostel streetdealers you never know what the quality is of the product.

I know someone who is selling nearby hostels. Even he has for example cocaine that was tested at the testcenter as being 86% of cocaïne (89% is pure as white powder) he cut it big time. He transform 1 gram to 4 grams. And then sell it for 50 euro per gram. However he is selling 1 gram of 86% for 60 euro to Dutch people.
    Dutch people are regular customers for him, so for them the quality has to be good. Because of the many testcenters in the netherland where you can test your drugs for free by a lab (will take 7 days normally) people can test the quality, so Dutch people can compare what the dealer said and what is the truth.

What I try to say is: if you're a foreign in holland and you try to buy from a dealer (even not street dealers) the chance that you're stuff is fake or from a less quality then it used to be is very very very big. Even people from Belgium who speaks Dutch who try to buy marijuana from a dutch dealer will get *** most of the time.

Before I go to the only solution for this problem I want to make my statement again:
    - Drugs are illegal
    - It's your own decision what take and what you do with your own health (what's in your body can't be illegal anymore, however it will give you restrictions... for example: you may not drive a vehicle)

So now my tip:
    "Be prepared!"
    What you mean?
    "I mean 2 things:
    1. do a research on internet and know the answers on for example: What should be my first dosage of the drug I take? What risks will there be when I take that drug? What is the effect? What kind of setting is important for this drug? What is the duration of the drug? Do I get an hangover of the drug? Is there any way of preloading and afterloading (mostly particularly vitamins and antioxidants) to keep my body as healthy as possible? What do I have to do when I go go negative on the drug? And whatever question you can imagine. A good website to start with is Erowid.org
    2. Try to make reliable contacts from the Netherlands. The best is a contact who is not a dealer but use drugs for his own (recreationally). And even better if he goes to the testcenter from time to time to test his products and know what he takes for himself and his friends. When the person is talking about testcenter, products and percentages, he's not a dealer, but is willing to help you with a nice holiday and is very friendly on the chat, you can say: "Hebbes!". You can be sure that you get good quality and most of the time the price will be much lower then tourist pays for it.

How you make contact with the right person? Your target can be most found at the dancescene. So a community site about going out is probably the best place to be. Most people in the netherlands can speak english, so if you send a message to someone or place a message in the forum: just type english. My best tip is partyflock.nl. Site can be set on English language (flag upper right).

As postscript:
    The way I say isn't the easiest one. I don't want to tempt someone to take drugs. The reason I gave these tips is that if you're really want to take some drugs what can't be offered at the coffeeshops and smartshops that you don't take poison and that you are aware of the effects of the drugs.

"Never mix drugs", "Every drug has rules about how you can use them responsible... keep yourself to the rules! never take an overdose!"

• Adventure Travel

• Amsterdam citizen!

by Amsterdammi Written May 19, 2011

I can not believe what I am reading here.
    I have been living in the Netherlands my entire life,
    and there is actually no place on earth where I feel more safe than I do in Amsterdam.
    I hear about people almost being stabbed and drugdealers almost forcing you to buy stuff?

ONLY in the red light district there are some people who will try to offer you cocaine.
    These are mostly 15 year old boys who are selling PARACETAMOL and ASPRINES!
    (There was a big research done by the police in the RDL and it turned out that 85 percent of 'cocaine' being sold there is just paracetamol).

These 15 year old boys will try to offer you something if you just politely tell them no,
    or even joke with them they will leave you alone!
    I allways tell them I already have a month supply (as a joke) they just laugh and leave me alone.

in contrary to what many think the RDL is quite safe.
    I wouldn't recommend going to the RDL in any other city in the Netherlands because that's where actually dirty wrong men go to have sex but the RDL in Amsterdam is so touristic it's full of students who are there to have something to eat or just enjoy a night out.

NOTHING WRONG HERE! Don't believe everything you hear.

• catnl's Profile Photo

watch ur stuff

by catnl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bikes  in the Netherlands

Like most big cities u could be robbed, drugs are presented by dealers. When u walk they offer you cocaine or other drugs, better to buy inside a good coffeeshop if u are interested in using things

Like in lots of other cities in Holland bikes get stolen, lock ur bike at least with lockers around something.

Coffeeshops in Amsterdam

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Drug Dealers

by ophiro Written Mar 26, 2011

red light district alley

Around the crowded places like the red light district , Dam and Leidseplein you will find drug dealers that will offer you not only soft drugs but also hard drugs like cocaine , lsd , heroine.

This is forbidden in Netherlands.
    If you want soft drugs enter one of the coffee shops around the city.
    There also some junkies but they will not do any harm on crowded places and during regular time , maybe only late at night.

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Don't buy drugs on the streets !

by ophiro Written Mar 26, 2011

inside a coffee shop - just watching not smoking

Because there are coffee shops in Amsterdam a lot of people sit and smoke Hashish or Marijuana , there are also places where you can buy Ecstasy or Mushrooms.
    If you decide to try those drugs , don't buy on the streets !
    Some people will offer you those drugs , you don't know the quality or if it something "fishy" .

The Netherlands police is tolerant to small amount of soft drugs - this is why you have coffee shops !

• Amsterdam: What Dealers, Junkies & wierdo's

by traveling_tlc Written Feb 22, 2011

I read all these tips and wonder ...where does this assortment of dealers, junkies and pesky people go when I visit?? I have been to Amsterdam about a dozen times...one four day trip two over night and the rest various lenghts of time for long layovers, I always book the flight with at least a 6 hour layover and in all those visits not one time have I ever been approached about drugs or had anyone yell "Charlie, Charlie" at me...

Maybe I seem like a local? How absolutly flatering if that's the case!!

I have been all over the city to include the red light district the parks and I have taken all of my trips to Amsterdam solo and I always stay in Hostels...dont get me wrong, Ive seen some obviously drugged out people but have never been approched to buy drugs...I think part of it is not walking around like your lost....walk as if you know where you are and where your going, even if you dont!! I dont stare at people and I make an effort to present a "know where Im going and how to get there" attitude and if you have ever been you know that there will always come a time in Amsterdam that you are lost!! Its part of the beauty!! Oh and next month I get to share beautiful Amsterdam for two weeks in a houseboat with my daughter!! wooo whooo!!

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• A little advice.

by suicidalfish Written Nov 29, 2010

If you walk near the RLD or Dam Square, you are almost definitely going to be offered something.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to just keep walking as the majority of the time they are walking towards you, then whisper as you pass.

If you get some persistent ***er on your case you try to lay them off with a little dutch speaking.

Instead of "No thank you" say "nei dank u" (nay-dank-oo), which is the dutch translation. If they think your dutch, chances are they will leave you alone.

To be honest though, if you are street wise...and you come from a big city, this type of thing will not annoy you...its just part of the visit.

• drug pushers

by legsy Updated Feb 5, 2010

always travel with at least one friend avoid eye contact with the drug pushers you know who they are they keep saying CHARLIE CHARLIE nice cocaine CRACK CRACK!!!!!!!! even if you stop to say no thanks they will follow you until you buy some and the later it is at night the more intimidating they become just walk past ignore them all.....!!!!!!!!

• Singles

• hard drugs

by eniacoc Written Jan 29, 2010

Beware of people offering you drugs on the street when near the RDL in Amsterdam. Hard drugs of good quality are not hard to come by. I many times have been able to score good quality cocaine in Amsterdam by just choosing the right Taxi. It is that simple. Most Taxi drivers have good stuff on them at all times.

• Crack pipe guy

by chris_morton2000 Written Sep 1, 2008

I was wandering around amsterdam with a guy i met in the hostel. It was my first time on the majoics so was completely out of it. Before i know it some guy pumps into me and drops this pipe on the ground near the grasshopper so a busy street. I keep walking then all of a sudden he is next to me saying i dropped his crack blah blah and i owe him for it. Being in the state of mind i was i completely freaked, anyway this guy hounded me so i gave him a 5, and he said no no thats not enough. I walked and walked and he eventually had me against the wall where he pulled out a knife, or in my state of mind thought it was. I quickly gave him the 20 and he left. Be very careful of this and if it happens walk into a bar or shop stay in the main street if it happens, he wont stab u there

• Alemaker's Profile Photo

Beware of The Trolls

by Alemaker Written Mar 10, 2008

As you walk around Amsterdam, particularly at night near the Red Light District (RLD), you may be confronted by someone whispering "Charlie...Charlie" to you.

KEEP WALKING...Even if your name really is Charlie.

These fine upstanding citizens are trying to sell you cocaine...more than likely, some white powder that is not as advertised.

Never never never buy anything from these street urchins.

(Tried to get a picture of a deal going down...Almost got my ass kicked for my efforts...Good thing I can run fast!!!)

• Totodutchie's Profile Photo

Ignore pushers and junkies

by Totodutchie Written Mar 2, 2008

Drug pushers (dealers) are often searching their targets in the redlight district and surrounding, but even outside those areas they might bother you. They try to sell to anybody of whom they think they might be interested. So my tip is, which always works for me, just simply ignore them. Act like you do not hear them in the first place, because as soon as they caught your attention or reaction, they might stick to you and try to make you buy their stuff.

Of course to those who want to use softdrugs (marihuana, hasjies) there are plenty of coffeeshops in Amsterdam or almost any other city in the Netherlands. Do not buy too much at once (I am not sure about the "legal" amounts, but I think up to 3 grams would be no problem), do not smoke too much (especially for marihuana) since the local grown grass is pretty strong.

As for other stuff like pills and mushrooms there are headshops, but I cannot advice in that matter since I never tried that. All I know is to listen to the warnings the owner of the shop might give you considering the stuff you bought, but in general I guess that it is better to use small amounts to test the effects first.

Finally, do not bring anything with you across the Dutch border.

You are using it at your own risk, just be careful and be happy! :-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Walk around it-drugs are easy to find

by BruceDunning Written Nov 21, 2007

There is an area especially prone to the drugs, mostly hash. They will hawk you on the street to sell a piece, all wrapped for your pleasure. Do not stop to talk, but thye will persist and some follow after you if you are a recognizable tourist wearing shorts and baseball cap- ala US attire. I believe a large number of these people, mostly young and male, are wacked out, and you can see it in their eyes. I once was attacked by two of them and had to get defensive so I did not get hurt. This was on a low lit street going back toward the hotel. Keep your eyes open. YOu are better walking around a potential confrontation.
    On the other hand, if you want to see the culture at its best, try a smoke shop. The bull Dog Cafe is a most famous, but ther are many. The counter holds a number of sizes and shapes of leaf, and parafanalia. Hash is outside.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Drugs and more drugs

by Jenniflower Updated Jul 27, 2007

Amsterdam canals

Before we arrived in Amsterdam, we were well aware of the drug reputation here. The legality of this addiction we think is very sad.. albeit many people thinking it wonderfully democratic.

I was approached once by this chap whose eyes looked dazed.. he was carrying a box of goodies and was keen for me to buy. I said I wasn't interested, he then just asked me for money.

As a woman in a strange city (hubby was doing his own thing for a bit), I felt very uncomfortable and ill at ease.

I also felt dreadfully sorry for this man, who was an addict and needed help.

There is so much going for Amsterdam in the way of culture, history and beauty, and this, sadly, ruins it.

• Cruise

• Red Light District

by LrSorr Written Apr 11, 2007

In the red light area, when someone approaches you and offer you drugs, just keep walking!!! duh! Some of these dealers go out of their way to chase you down and almost force you to buy their s#$%. Other than that, the red light district is not as dangerous as most people picture it to be... you'll get used to the "sights" after sometime. :-)

• Religious Travel