Fake Police, Amsterdam

by Robin922
  • dila's Profile Photo

fake police

by dila Updated Apr 4, 2011

people who say they are from the police
    they say that they think you have false money or drugs
    the want to see your wallet and then the steel your money.
    special tourists from asia beware.
    most of the fake cops are from east europe.
    real police see pictures on the website.
    phonenumbers
    emergency 112
    non emergncy 0900-8844

• Cops! Run! (just kidding)

by drewopolis Written Jul 10, 2008

From my visits to Amsterdam, especially being an American, the police in the Netherlands were not what I expected. With the relative carefree living experience in Amsterdam, the police were always very friendly and helpful. New Years Eve in '06 i was so drunk I couldn't even read street signs, and at about 7AM my friend and I were hopelessly lost. A policeman offered to help us, and after I managed to find my hotel receipt in my pocket, he drove us there right away.

• DarkFeather's Profile Photo

"Helpful Policemen"

by DarkFeather Written Nov 4, 2006

When I first went to Amsterdam I was with 4 friends of mine. We needed to know where a certain street was, as we wanted to reach the Pompadour shop (it sells various kinds of chocolate!!).
    We asked 2 policemen for information and they spent about 15 mins MAKING FUN OF US because we didn't know where the place was!
    I'm not saying all policemen are like these, but don't get mad if it happens! :)

• Robin922's Profile Photo

What a policeman looks like

by Robin922 Written May 21, 2005

Dutch Police

While you never plan to have a problem.

I have never experienced it, however some people have reported scams about people pretending to be policemen to con you out of your euros.

I figure it never hurts to know what a real policeman/woman looks like. Their cars, vans and motorcycles are hard to miss…white with blue and orange. Trust me you can’t miss them!

One other thing I found unique and very visitor friendly, is they have one police department. Unlike at home where you may have several different types, all looking different (local police, county police, state police, etc). No matter where you go in the country the all look the same here.

Also I have found them to be very polite and helpful.

• Women's Travel

• inger.'s Profile Photo

there was a warning for...

by inger. Written Aug 24, 2002

there was a warning for everyone visiting Amsterdam: the police was warning all tourists coming to Amsterdam for 'the cookie monster', sounds funny but it isnt. There was a person in Amsterdam who liked to talk/assist tourists and while talking to them he offered them a cookie, the cookies were drugged with something that makes you sleepy at first and then you pass out. The guy followed the victims and after passing out stole all their valuable belongings.Thankfully they have found the man and arrested him.(he got 2,5 yrs in prison, his trial was yesterday 16-may-01) Others have done this trick before with cookies, but also with cans of soda!! so watch it, do not accept anything on the street.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam