Safety Tips in Amsterdam

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam

• 2 more images

We are TOTALLY closed!!

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you have walked for miles and miles and decide you just must have a coffee and a pee and a sit down and you see a landmark you recognise about 3 miles ahead and then, when you get there, you walk into the foyer (the doors obviously being open) and the girl on the desk says *We are TOTALLY closed!!* Wouldn't you want to say *Well keep the ******* door locked then!!* ??

Normally NEMO is open - but this day... the day I needed it to be open...they were totally closed. Not just a BIT closed... but TOTALLY - even though the foyer was open... just to tell weary travellers they were TOTALLY closed.

If I had checked their website BEFORE I walked miles and miles and miles I would have known they are totally closed on Mondays.

I am sure this is a wonderfully fascinating place when it is open.

Major Hazard No.3

by johngayton Updated Mar 14, 2013

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the young girls, but there are some very classy women around as well who equally distract my eye...does she really have to cycle round town with a sheer white dress on?

"Girls in white dresses...these are a few of my favourite things".

I'll change that to "Women in white dresses and diaphanous - help me out here - aquamarine(?) - shawls.

BONK!!

Who put that tree there? #~***~#

MEMO:

Dear Mayor of Amsterdam,

For your next piece of legislation, I propose a dress code for women cyclists. Either that or get rid of all trees, lamposts, bollards (especially!) and just to be on the safe side fill in the canals.

It's only a matter of time before there is going to be a serious fatality.

Cheers, John.

• Cycling

Major Hazard No.1

by johngayton Updated Mar 14, 2013

One of the main problems I have when visiting places is that I want to take in as much as possible in the allotted time. And so I am always looking around me: up, down, left, right - taking in the views, always wanting to find out what's round the next corner.

The result is that I never seem to be looking where I am actually going.

This is further compounded in Amstersdam by...as you can see from the pic!

• Birdwatching

• Party Animals!

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 19, 2006

You will see some strange things in Amsterdam... and unless have photographic evidence...no one will believe you!

These little bronze iguanas sit in the bit of grass just off the Leidseplein but last time I saw them they had been celebrating!

• DAO's Profile Photo

DO NOT FALL IN THE CANALS

by DAO Updated Sep 2, 2012

This is a real picture of a real sign. Please do not get drunk or stoned (or both) and fall in. Yes, it is deep enough for people under the influence of something to drown. Let’s take it easy out there people! We need you to come back and post pictures and write tips. You also need to return home and rate this tip!

All the best,

DAO

• Singles

• balhannah's Profile Photo

PHOTOS

by balhannah Written Sep 12, 2009

On walking around the Canals, I came across a stall with lovely bunches of Flowers. Some of them I had not seen before, so I took a photo.
    There was only myself and the Dutch stall holder, and as he walked past me, he deliberately knocked into me, I guess hoping to ruin my photo. I would like to know what he muttered in Dutch!!

There were no signs saying not to take photos, so I was within my rights, there was no need for his rudeness!!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

It's a church...no, it's a gallery...no, it's a...

by goodfish Written Dec 6, 2011

Old buildings cost a bundle to maintain and the biggest, most historic of Amsterdam's churches appear to be making up shortfalls by operating as galleries and event centers on the side. This can cause some frustration for visitors keenly interested in experiencing the essence of something very old.

There was an exhibit of very modern art at Oude Kerk when we were there that was a rather jarring distraction from the centuries-old details. Nieuwe Kerk (no longer a functioning church) is a full-time gallery/event center that was offering a de Kooning exhibit (for a rather steep entry fee) that we skipped altogether: no wish to see the interior cluttered up with 20th-century abstracts. That one is, in fact, closed for a month as I'm writing this due to installing the latest show. Westerkerk, while a venue for some excellent concerts, also doubles as event space - you can see photos of some of those here.

If you enjoy the juxtaposition of old and new, no problem. The rest of you, be ready to expect the unexpected in the form of duel usage and temporary closings.

• Architecture

• csordila's Profile Photo

Jet lag, or there is a morning in the evening

by csordila Written Jul 11, 2008

If you are flying across three or more time zones, it is necessary to calculate with the jet lag syndrome. There is a disturbance of our internal clock, which comes forward more strongly, if we fly from the West to the East when you gain time, and less if towards West, when you lose time. Switch your clock to the local time as soon as the plane landed, and do not think what is the time now at home. If may be, let us travel by plane, which lands late afternoon. If you arrive in the morning try to stay awake and wait until the local bedtime to sleep even if you are sleepy because this makes the conversion easier.

• Upstate1NY's Profile Photo

Anticlerical attitudes i.e. "I hate the church"

by Upstate1NY Updated Dec 16, 2005

Oude Kerk, and the "picture gallary"
    Oude Kerk was host to an exhibition of photographs by World Press Photographers. They were charging admission to see the pictures. I tested my ingenuity by saying I "came to see the 'church' not the pictures, do I still have to pay". The young woman (18-22), retorted, "This is not a church it is a gallary". I had not realized how deep some anticlerical feelings ran until I "pushed my luck (and it would seem hers)" by pointing to the legend on my map (with money in my hand) and said "But right here it says this is a church". Her "reserve" exploded in a torant of curses. as she screamed "%$#(*!^#* THIS IS NOT A &#(*@!&* CHURCH!!!" She turned absolutly purple in the face, the veins on her forehead and neck stood out pulsing with the rush of blood, as she beat her fists on the counter. She stopped pounding the counter top only long enough to snatch the money from my hand. As she threw the ticket at me, my change hit the floor all in one swipe of her "backhand" in my direction. The guard at the door looked frightened, not of me but for the "lady"(?). She could not compose herself enough to take care of the next couple in line, she just stood there shaking and sobbing. When she did finally turn to the people behind me they looked totally shocked at her outburst and remarked, "No I don't think so", they turned and walked out. The guard shrugged his shoulders, took half my ticket and I "looked for the pictures" so I could shoot around them and see "the church" for what it "had been".

Oude Kerk
    It is true, a church is not a building, so in that sense sadly it is correct, Oude Kerk is not a church, for it has no congregation, yet with the pink windows in the neighborhood it is in, there may well be some folks who could use a bit of "ministering". Still one can not help marveling at what "once had been".

Local attitudes and "customs" may be a bit beyond what you would expect in a country that is usually perceived as very accommodating, accepting and "placid"

Major Hazard No.2

by johngayton Updated Mar 14, 2013

The main problem of course is: I keep bumping into things - lamposts, trees, other people, THUNK, such is life,..but bollards are the worst!!!

I'd rather fall into the canal as that would cause far less tears ;)

• Cycling
    • Beer Tasting

• Is he drunk or taking a photo??

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 19, 2006

Beware of Dutchmen laying on the pavement - he might just be drunk - on the other hand it might be VT member Pieter Jan V taking a photo from a *quirky* angle!! :)) Be careful you don't trip over him!

• DarkFeather's Profile Photo

.Strange, maybe Convenient.

by DarkFeather Updated Nov 5, 2006

This is not a real warning, I think.. it's more a "Things which can happen" Tip!
    It happened to me three times that cashiers gave me a wrong change.. and here comes the convenient part: it was always more than what I should have been returned!
    Ok, I'm a honest person so I didn't keep the change.. but I wanted to warn you :)

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Exporting flowers

by ophiro Written Jul 10, 2011

Amsterdam , and the entire country of course , is well known for it's flower - beautiful tulips and more.
    A lot of tourists but flowers or bulbs to plant at their houses.
    As far as i know it is not allowed to export flowers and bulbs from the country.
    Check it with your Country's costumes first.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Do drink enough!!!

by Jerelis Written Nov 15, 2012

For years, we have all been told of the importance of water. The general guideline has been to drink 2 liter of water each day. For a person who is not living an active lifestyle this may be enough, but if you are physically active, you need more water than that. That is especially true if you are hiking in the Alkmaar area due to the fact the average temperature is much higher than other areas and the city lanes with its historical houses and bridges will go up and down.

Water is essential for everyone, especially if you are hiking. Water helps almost every part of the human body function properly. Our bodies are almost two-thirds water, and proper hydration is essential to keep your body functioning properly during the hike. Some of the things water does in the body are:
    * The brain is 75% water; even moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness;
    * Water regulates body temperature, which is especially important here in the area where the temperatures can be so brutal;
    * Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
    * Blood is 92% water;
    * Water protects and cushions vital organs;
    ·* Water converts food into energy (which is something you will need on a 3 to 4 hour hike…);
    * Muscles are 75% water, and you will use many muscles on a trail as you climb above the desert floor.

• Hiking and Walking

• hb_capri's Profile Photo

Too much Hype!

by hb_capri Written Mar 12, 2008

when i was planning a trip to Amsterdam I was told so much abt its notorious reputation that it almost made me rethink my decision........but boy was i glad that i went ahead anyways! My husband had a conference to attend and I decided to explore the city on my own.Not once in during my 4 days stay did i feel insecure or the need to have somebody by my side.on the contrary the people were very friendly and was more than willing to help you! Although i dint venture out by myself during the night.......i can tell you that theres no real danger unless you go looking for it! Amsterdam is beautiful and so are the people!

Amsterdam Hotels

Hotel Vondel
Amsterdam Escape
Latest: Dec 28, 2013

Instant Answers: Amsterdam

Comments

Amsterdam Warnings and Dangers

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
When you use common street sense, you'll be fine at Amsterdam. Go your own way and don't be the tourist, that only will attract pick pockets. The first thing you will learn is NOT to walk on the...
Map of Amsterdam

Amsterdam Members Meetings

Jun 13, 2014
Maryimelda is finally coming to Amsterdam
May 18, 2015