Red Light District, Amsterdam

• Red Light District
    by annase
  • Red Light District
    by DAO
  • RLD - Be Streetwise, always thinking....

by 8_tentacled_man Updated Aug 27, 2003

RLD - weird and crazy people, we went against the grain and walked around pissed due to an all dayer.. But then of course, We're streetwise....some fit birds in the windows, some mingers too, we saw the fattest ugliest minger in one of the windows, think u had to pay her. 50 euros for 10-15 mins Roman lost his belt to one and returned to us 20 mins later saying nothing happened!! the tentacled man was chucked out of one of the girls windows for dancing.. rude man Nistelrooy bared his arse to trippers on a boat in broad daylight... we all indulged, a special mention to Roman for his whoring on sat night, one he pulled in his own right.. no fee. (fat scouser)other two then a trip to planet pluto for half a day when i left them for mere 2 hours...

As it was said "one of the finest displays
    of sin and debauchery it has ever been my fortune to witness" we did it all....we shall return to see the sights next time...

• Whitewidow21's Profile Photo

The Red Light District

by Whitewidow21 Updated May 7, 2004

Semi negative vibes from the red light district. I'm going to have to agree with exitableone. There are alot of drug dealers around the red light district. I probably declined like an average of 10 times a day so 10 times 7-days will equal 70 no's. Don't get me wrong deffinatley visit the place, there are so many places that are worth visiting in that part of the region such as the Cannabis College, hash museum, and the Bush doctors head shop where they contain some amazing glass peices not worth buying but deffinatly worth feasting your eyes.

• DarkFeather's Profile Photo

If you don't want to be beaten..

by DarkFeather Written Nov 5, 2006

Ok, it may seem an obvious remark, but it works for stupid people like me!!
    So, don't try to take a picture (or even worse, to shoot!) of Red Light Districts' Stars! Don't even think about that or they will start crying and beating on their french doors! :P
    Yes, I'm that stupid! :D

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo

Mind Your Manners

by bobsreturn2004 Updated Apr 17, 2005

take a picture of the girls in the windows in the red light district at your own risk.Cameras are forbidden and if anyone catches you, they will either confisicate or destroy your camera.The same rules apply In the sex theatre.Also if you think this rule applies only to your camera think again.the same rule applies to Mobile Phones.
    If you do decide to meet one of these girls in the window be polite,Dont forget that these girls are making a living and wont accept any abuse.Although you cant always see them a massive bodyguard always has his eyes on the girls.

• RDL by night

by SameFIN Written Mar 26, 2008

I've seen some comments here that say that "don't go to RDL at night" and so on.. Well, I must say that wether you're a guy or a girl the only way to relly experience the RDL is at night. Hell, you don't even see those oh-so-famous lights during daytime. I've been to this great city for a couple of times and I do not find it dangerous. Amsterdam is propably one of the safest cities I've been to around the world consideing its' size and reputation.

But as it's been said here a lot of times, do not take pictures in RDL. If you want to take pictures of this area, try to do it during day but I would consider that too.. In any case don't take pictures of the girls in the windows unless you're happen to hold world record in 400m dash. There are signs telling you not to take pictures and believe them. And keep in mind that these girls are working, how would you like people coming to your work place to take pictures? I know I wouldn't. And even though many people think that these girls are illegal immigrants that's not quite true. Since prostitution is legal in Holland and prostitutes have to pay taxes it means most of them are registered some way. And there girls are required to be tested for STDs regurlary so they're clean too. Of course you have to use a condom (I haven't used these services myself but I know this is true) and why wouldn't you. Most of the people are smart enough to use a condom every time they're having se with a stranger and this is not an exception.

There are also a lot of people walking around the streets in RDL and most of them are tourists, so it is pretty safe place and there is nothing to be worried about. I've been to smallest and darkest allies in the RDL and I didn't find even them dangerous. Use your common sense and you'll be fine. If you're walking around the place drunk as hell and stoned you're an easy target for anyone. But I still don't find Amsterdam dangerous and none of the people I know who's been to Amsterdam have ever experienced any violence, and I know a lot of people who've visited the city.

And if you don't like weed and judge smoking it, don't go to Amsterdam. Especially in the RDL the smell of weed is unbelieveble! All you smell is weed smoke. I don't mean that you need to be a smoker to go to Amsterdam, but if you're against it I'd suggest you to go somewhere else or to stay at home. Travel safe!

• SnoopySue's Profile Photo

Don't use you camera!

by SnoopySue Written Feb 5, 2005

As you can see, I don't have a photo from Red lights district. I remember what happened to a guy who tried to take a photo of a girl sitting in a shop window. She stepped out, grab his camera, took out the film and smash it before crowd of curious tourists. I don't think you are looking for such an embarassment so keep your camera away when walking RL district and take it serious!

• draguza's Profile Photo

Red Light District

by draguza Written Sep 21, 2006

Prostitute in a window

During my short stay in Amsterdam the Red Light District was very "entertaining". Girls in the windows, guys bold enough to make deals, friends laughing nervously, couples smiling, and the tour groups made up of all kinds being shown the business of skin made the district quite an experience.
    There were drug dealers a plenty which are easy to ignore and continue walking but what I couldn't believe was witnessing a drug deal go bad. Two guys were buying something from a dealer and were upset that what they wanted is not what they got. A bit of arguing for a minute and then the dealer gave the money back and the parties shook hands! What?
    I am certainly not condoning drug use or the ease in which to get it in Amsterdam, I'm just pointing out the friendly attitude of the city, even in the "darkest places."

• Red light district, thieves

by sofwareguy Written Mar 9, 2007

The red light district is certainly an interesting walking tour. My advice is to do it with friends, or during the daylight hours.

I was walking around at about 7pm, when a guy came up and told me to give him all of my money. I looked him in the eye and told him to get lost. He proceeded to grab my arm. For his troubles I ended up breaking his nose. I was a welterweight boxer in my youth (so I do not look intimidating, as I am not tall, and fairly thin), so he just picked the wrong guy. He had 2 friends hanging back watching this, and when they saw this happen, they first tried to come towards me. I dropped my jacket to the floor, put up my fists, and started dancing around with a little boxing ring footwork. I dont think my reaction was what they intended. The loser with the broken nose who thought it a good idea to grab me started to get up off the floor. I decided he should stay down until the police came. They arrested him, and told me I shouldnt have hit him. They were polite, and a little amused, but still felt strongly that I should have just screamed. I dislike thieves. I really dont care for thieves who want to prey on me. Getting physical was probably stupid, but I know how rare guns are in Holland, so I gambled. You shouldnt do this though. Just dont go over there alone, looking like a total gawking tourist, at 10pm. It was my mistake.

• Singles
    • Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• eurotravels's Profile Photo

You'll want to take a look at...

by eurotravels Written Sep 8, 2002

You'll want to take a look at the red light district, but once you have seen it get out of there. It's especially intimidating during the daytime and we found that the best way to deal with the pushers was to ignore them.

• erik0240's Profile Photo

Pushers & dealers.

by erik0240 Written Mar 18, 2005

The Redlight District in Amserdam is both famous & infamous.

In the coffeeshops they are allowed to sell various "light-drugs" as they call it.
    Although alot of heavier drugs is availible out on the streets by walking drugdealers.
    Many people find these, rather pushy, dealers circuling around the area as a big fear, but just act calm and you really have nothing do be afraid of.

When you meet these lawbending "gentlemen" on the street they will often lean against you and quietly reel the list of drugs they are selling. There is one thing you can do to completely get rid of these guys...guess what;

Ignore them! This will always work! Never allow them to get eye-contact with you because then they think you´re a possible buyer. Never start being polite: "No thank you", "im fine"..etc etc. Just keep walking and ignore them. Pretty fast you´ll get used to this and wont see this as a problem. Trust me.

• Well, I had the chance to stay...

by Old_Restless Written Aug 26, 2002

Well, I had the chance to stay in the Red Light District, in Amsterdam. Now, if there's any place you're going to be victim to a violent crime, it's right in the RLD. The fact is though, it's quite safe. The key here is to keep moving, don't stand around. You're going to be approached by numerous drug dealers, homeless and just plain crazies. Just keep it cool and you shall be all right. You'll begin to find it funny how often you're offered 'coca, coca' or 'ecstacy'. As for the rest of Amsterdam, it's all pretty safe, but you must use caution at all times during the day. Don't be dumb and don't worry, just be cool.

• trevndebs's Profile Photo

Window Shopping in Red Light District

by trevndebs Written Jan 4, 2006

Happened ********* years ago BD (Before Debs!)

WARNING: When "window shopping" be careful,
    My cover (and I) were more than "blown" ,
    I bought the whole window ------- and loved it,
    But was attacked with the hoover when home !!!!!

Hehehehe. Worth it --- but be warned !!!!

• RLD is cool

by RobSV Written Oct 27, 2005

I visited Amsterdam in 2004 and ofcourse hit the Red Light District. I had reas many of these posts earlier and kind of knew what to expect. I am from California and consider myself street smart. I didn't feel uncomfortable or intimidated as I walked alone through the RDL. As always, use commen sense and beware of your surroundings. I have no problem walking through Amsterdam. IF you really want to live dangerously, walk through South Los Angeles or East Los and see if you catch some ***. I am not trying to protray myself as a "Bad Ass American", but I'm jsut saying, be smart. The only minor thing I had while in the RDL, was some fool asking me for some money, and I told him no. He persisted and I basically told him that I wouldn't give hime any money and if he was ready to fight me for it to bring it. He punked out and that was that. The women in the RLD were pretty cool. I think the selection in Las Vegas is better, but when in Rome...

Peace,

Rob

• karinyeung's Profile Photo

Horny Men...

by karinyeung Updated May 25, 2003

Dressed in a full black gortex ski outfit...I got grabbed and catcalled down in the red light district... Believe me...I was NOT a pretty sight. SO...just try to travel with someone who looks like he's your man...or risk the embarrassment of dealing with some really rude and disgusting horn dogs.

• coast2coast's Profile Photo

The area around the Red light...

by coast2coast Written Aug 25, 2002

The area around the Red light distict is a favourite for pick pockets. You may be stopped on the Street and asked if you want to buy soft drugs. Poilitely decline and move briskly on. The city is fairly safe at night, but use common sense and avoid back alleys and dark side streets.

Instant Answers: Amsterdam