Know about this?
Small! Small! Small!
Everything in Amsterdam is small.
The houses are small.
The streets are small.
The restaurants are small.
The bathrooms are really small.
This lack of personal space is not only due to the huge number of people crammed into the city, but can also be directly attributed to a medieval tax law of long long ago.
Back in the olden days, Amsterdam residents were taxed according to the width of their houses... (As people in England were taxed a 'window tax' for allowng light into their homes, hence many old places having few windows...)
I will never compain about the smallness of London homes again :)
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
Steep and Narrow
Dutch canal houses have steep and narrow stairways. Check that your hotel has a lift/elevator before you book as several flights like this can be tricky to negotiate if you have small children or lots of large heavy luggage or problems with hips/knees or are stumbling back to your third floor room after a night out drinking in Amsterdam!
- Historical Travel
- Museum Visits
Oh, those Dutch Stairs!
Don't think "stairs." Think "ladder." Then you'll be prepared for what passes as stairs in many Amsterdam hotels and other buildings.
The first time I opened the door to a stairway and looked up at the steep stairs leading to my room, I must have gasped. I had all three of my bags in my hand, but I had to carry 'em up one at a time instead because I needed the other hand to hold on to the rail and help pullmyself up. Not only were they steep, the actual steps were so narrow that only my toes would fit on them. I had to place my feet on the stairs sideways coming down.
Be prepared. Not all Dutch stairs are that steep, but I encountered stairs in several places that were almost as bad. And almost all stairs were far steeper than what I'm used to in the U.S.
Narrow winding stairs!
Don t wait for too long if you have to follow nature's call.....there s two narrow winding stairs to conquer before you actually can relief yourself!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Province of Palawan Warnings and Dangers
- Durban Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Vallarta Warnings and Dangers
- Tashkent Warnings and Dangers
- Kiev Warnings and Dangers
- Cape Verde Warnings and Dangers
- Ocho Rios Warnings and Dangers
- Newark Warnings and Dangers
- London Warnings and Dangers
- Albania Warnings and Dangers
- Medan Warnings and Dangers
- St. Croix Warnings and Dangers