When taking a taxi from the airport to the the city be sure its a registered and official taxi.There are a few men about who will walk over to you asking if you want a taxi,he then rings a collegue up who turns up in his own car pretending to be from an official taxi firm.Chances are he is a fake and will charge you a lot more for your journey than an official taxi.Its best to go over to the taxi's that are parked waiting as these will have official license plates and i.d.cards on dashboard.
If you have been a victim of this or suspect anything out of order ring the police.
To reconize a Taxi
Taxi on top of the car
Blue license plate Yellow dont use it ( it is possible but just dont use it as it is someone who
waits for new license plate so the change is almost 0%)
a meter were you can see the price visible and near that a pass with ID of the taxi driver.
Think a taxi will be around 40 euro's from Schiphol to Amsterdam
Know taxi company TCA , Meerlanden, schipholtaxi
will put the TCA weblink as you can see some prices there
use the Calculate price & Book online link
Do you have a complain about a taxi
Be very careful when taking taxis on Schiphol airport.
They have a place outside the airport but sometimes there will a taxi driver that will take you to another place to take you from there.
A friend of mine got robbed this way - the driver closes the door so you can't get out and sometime he have another man with him.
Try to Avoid the taxis as much as you can - you can use train/bus instead , it is cheaper !.
Taxi drivers. Okay, one of the most common warnings on any city concerns taxi drivers and no most of them are honest people. However, it is common nevertheless to get taken on 'tours' of the city going to a location rather than a more direct route if you sound like you are not Dutch. Also when going to Centraal Station, watch out for the line 'The train to the Airport is not running at the moment due to problems on the line.' My advice is to get to the station anyway. There will be plenty of taxis outside if the advice does turn out to be correct.
I am living in the Centre of Amsterdam. My advice about taxi's: Avoid them. In Amsterdam and Schiphol Airport are many problems with tourist and drivers. They will scam you! Don't take a taxi at night. There are so many problems with taxi drivers at night.
Best to travel from Airport Schiphol:
* Take the train. The trainconnection with Amsterdam and any other city in The Netherlands is perfect. Get a ticket at the main hall. You can get this in the yellow/blue machines or are the NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) ticket desk. The one-way ticket price is around: 5 or 6 euro. You will be from Schiphol Airport within 20 minutes in Amsterdam. http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home
* Take the bus. There special busses that will take you from Schiphol Airport to the Centre of Amsterdam. Ticketprice around 4 euro. http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/PublicTransport/Bus.htm
Best to travel in Amsterdam:
* Tram. With all the trams is everything easy to get where you want to be. Buy an non-personalized OV-Chipcard at the Central Station (GVB Service). Put money on it at you can use it. At the counter you can get instructions how to do that. Single tickets are more expensive.
* Bike. Rent a bike. There are many place you can rent a bike. In many cases without any problems. A bike will take you anywhere and easily. Notice Amsterdam traffic rules. Don't bike in the shopping streets. At night: put your bike-lights on.
* Walk. If you like to walk. Walking will get you easily anywhere in the city centre of Amsterdam
The average price for an airport transfer with a taxi from Amsterdam is €50,-
If you book ahead of time with Tinker, prices fro Schiphol - Amsterdam center start at just €9,95
For one person, it's already very cheap but if you take the taxi with multiple people, the ride becomes cheaper than public transportation!
Give it a try and pass it on! Click on the link and book early for the best discount!