Places to eat in Haarlem

Most Viewed Restaurants in Haarlem

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Nobel Lunch & Diner: Local Restaurant Overlooks River

by Mikebb Updated Nov 29, 2012

We stumbled upon this popular restaurant as we walked down to the river. It looked nice with the sun streaming onto the tables, the Spaarne River being 20 metres away, historic buildings everywhere we looked and plenty of boats on the river.

We ordered local food which was nice, but cannot recall exactly what we ordered. price was reasonable, service good and the view excellent.

Toilets were very clean.

• Seniors

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Foodstalls everywhere: Dont miss the Matjes Herrings!

by lotharlerch Updated Mar 11, 2006

When in the Nehterlands dont miss their best snack. On markets and on many other spots you find stalls offering "Haring". The young and tender herrings are slightly marinated and taste really great and most people eat them right at the stalls. You get matjes also elsewhere, for example in Germany but they can not compete in taste with those in Holland.

You pay approximately 2 EUR for a matjes at the stall.

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Eten & Drinken: A nice place for a decent dinner

by lotharlerch Updated Mar 23, 2006

The food can be characterized as Dutch with international touch. The restaurant is overlooking the Spaarne, but if you want a table with Spaarne view you should under all circumstances make a reservation - which is in general recommended for any table at dinner time, The atmosphere is nice and informal and the staff is very friendly. We found it a good value for money..

Favorite Dish: As main courses we had a sole prepared in a nice indonesian way and a ducks breast prepared in a sorts "canard a l'orange" style. Both carefully prepared and delicious.

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Old Fashioned made sandwiches: Sandwich bar

by irisbe Updated Jun 12, 2003

I stopped at this little sandwich bar because of its eye catching window!
    It is a fact that there seems to be some kind of hidden competition about having the most beautiful or the most original decorations!
    I just love it!

Favorite Dish: I wonder what they put between their sandwiches? Maybe a whole cow!
    Can't tell you however as it was closed!

• irisbe's Profile Photo

%Go head towards the Hema shop at the top level: If it has to be simple, cheap and good....

by irisbe Written Aug 3, 2003

When I was at the meeting in Haarlem on April the 26th, Martin and Sandra took us to the V&D (Martin, tell me if I am wrong !) building.
    (why do I always confuse HEMA with V&D?)
    They planned to have us have a wonderful view from the top level but helas, there were constructions going on there :-(
    but instead we took a break for lunch.
    It was quite some lunch!
    You have a choice of so many different food: sandwiches: regular or chiabatti; wok meals; salads; the fresh made juices are MJJJAAMMMIEEE! I took one ofcourse!
    The price is reasonable and the more you take, the more you pay `-)

Favorite Dish: I took a great sandwich with smoked salmon and a chiabatti with herb cheese and a fresh fruit juice.
    I exchanged some herb cheese and smoked salmon from one sandwich to the other so they mixed and I can garantee you, that is a hell of a great match!

the indicated price is for a big orange juice and the two sandwiches (must have been about 12 euro)

• AMOQUE's Profile Photo

Haerlemsche Vlaamse: Nice snack tip! Vlaamse frites.

by AMOQUE Written Aug 31, 2004

This is not a restaurant. It's a snackbar, a fastfood take away.
    If you are very lucky you can grab one of the few chairs and sit outside.

Menu:
    -Vlaamse Frites. Big Vlamish Fries In Holland it's common to eat these withe mayonaise, but you can also asked for another sauce.They put the sauce on the fries if you don't tell them to put it apart.
    -Stoofvlees. Stiffed meat. They put it on your fries if you don't tell them to put it apart.
    -Gehakt bal. Meat ball in gravy. Also nice on a sandwich.
    -Kroket. Typically Dutch snack. A Kroket is ragout mixed with for example Beef and herbs. It's surrounded by a crispy layer. Yummie!

Favorite Dish: I like the Vlaamse frites with Dutch mayonaise and stiffed meat. Personally I always ask for a small portion because that allready very large I think.

Potions Vlaamse Frites. You can Pick:
    mini
    small
    normal
    large

After you finished your snack you will be full, believe me!!

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Haarlem has so many good...

by sandravdp Updated Oct 24, 2006

Haarlem has so many good restaurants that I have lost count. Almost every kind of food of every country you can find here. My favourites in Haarlem: the Karmeliet (Spanish, tapas) in de Spekstraat, Bruxelles (Dutch and Belgium food) at a sidestreet of the Kruisstraat, restaurant Delphi (greek food) at the Gravinnesteeg. Most restaurants you can find in the Kleine Houtstreet, Warmoestreet, Gierstreet, Houtsquare, Kruisstreet, Smedesstreet and Zijlstreet.

Favorite Dish: Shrimpcocktail, boiled mussles, saté / steak, french fries and for desert a fruitsorbet or a Dame Blanche (Vanilla icecream with chocolate sauce).

• Vanislander's Profile Photo

ahhhh! I cant remember the...

by Vanislander Written Aug 25, 2002

ahhhh! I cant remember the name of this restaurant! if anyone knows the name of this Greek Restaurant by the Casino in Zandvoort please send me a message. The food was excellent I loved the souvlaki!
    [yes people were looking at me when I took a pic of the food :)]
    Close to the Casino, Beach

• lvdpiet's Profile Photo

There are so many restaurants...

by lvdpiet Written Aug 25, 2002

There are so many restaurants in Haarlem and most of them are good. For an excellent steak you go to the Steakhouse of Wilma and Albert at the Oude Groenmarkt.
    Also good for meat is 'de Lachende koe'in the kruisstraat. In the kruisstraat is also a very good Mexican restaurant, very favorate by Youngsters.
    But there is so much... The better quisines? Go to the 'Componist' for instance. Walk aroud the shopping centre of town and find many more. Chinees, Indian, Yougoslavian, Greek and also very Dutch.

Favorite Dish: I do like a good steak. A nice Chateau briand. Rare, accompanied with a nice salad and fries. I am also fond of very good fish.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The herring cart in the Grote...

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

The herring cart in the Grote Markt or main square.
    This is a part of an authentic Netherlands experience and if you like fish, you have to try this as they are local specialities and the men running the carts are friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: Raw herring with raw onion or smoked eel, both just delicious.

• This is tough. We sat in the...

by sabsi Written Aug 24, 2002

This is tough. We sat in the backyard of a lovely antiques cafe in Haarlem but I can't remember the name.... sorry! I am not so helpful here ;-)
    The backyard is a bit messy and I loved that... The food was really nice actually!

Favorite Dish: Fresh strawberries and cream!

• tenshiemi's Profile Photo

Babbels: Yummy international cuisine

by tenshiemi Written Apr 15, 2007

When we ate at Babbles it was packed but we were still seated right away. The layout was crowded but it felt like we were eating in a very happenin' place. I had the duck breast with a rose hip sauce and my boyfriend ordered prawns prepared in a variety of ways. Vlaamse frites and vegetables (we had a salad) are included with all main courses. The food was very tasty! Both of our entrees were under 20 euros and the house wine was very affordable.

• Taverna: Bad food, bad service

by boppsey Written Aug 1, 2007

Looks welcoming and was very full - goodness knows why!
    The sevice was terrible, we waited 40 minutes for our starter and then another 40 minutes for our main courses. I had Chicken Sate. It was under cooked (so inedible) and completely smoothered with a disgusting looking mid brown sauce-luckily I looked at the chicken before I
    tasted it. It came with cheap frozen reconstituted chips and a tiny uninspiring salad beteen us. My husband took it back to the kitchen after 10 minutes of trying to get a waiter's attention. They didnt appologise but did offer to cook another. We couldnt wait that long so I shared my husbands tiny, not very good steak and tried unsuccessfully to eat some chips. At least they didnt try to charge us.

• Architecture

• Restaurant Wensen: In for a surprise???

by Globies Written Aug 22, 2007

Restaurant Wensen does not have a menu. You can choose a 3, 4 or 5 course dinner and the cooks will do their very best to surprise you with wonderful dishes. If there is anything you do not like, you just let them know. The food is very fresh and very well prepared. The wines are really good and you can order a wine arrangement to go with your meal. Have never been let down here.

• Rembrandt: Fantastic restaurant

by TrudiRudiPixie Written Feb 22, 2006

Have just started a new job with lots of travel and am in Haarlem for four days so last night whilst wandering around looking for somewhere for an early dinner I came across this place. Gorgeous - very funky shabby chic candle lit interior and a very nice house red! Its down a little side street so it has a nice relaxed feel. Its only small with the kitchen open and at the back so I could smell my steak cooking and down to the heart shaped mints that came with my bill the service was great! I'm sure its not the cheapest place to eat in Haarlem but if you appreciate good food, in a cosy atmosphere and can't bear the idea of coming all the way to Haarlem and having a pizza then try this place!

Favorite Dish: I have the steak in rouquefort sauce which was delicious, it came with potatoes and salad and a slice of spinach pie to provide the veg. What with the warm bread and garlic butter I got when I arrived I was too full for pudding!

• Singles

Latest: Dec 12, 2013
Hotel Die Raeckse
Latest: Apr 26, 2013

Instant Answers: Haarlem

Comments

Haarlem Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Haarlem locals.
Map of Haarlem