Hoorn Things to Do

  • The beautiful facade and its dome.
    The beautiful facade and its dome.
    by Jerelis
  • Sam in front of the Koepelkerk.
    Sam in front of the Koepelkerk.
    by Jerelis
  • The Koepelkerk seen from the main square.
    The Koepelkerk seen from the main...
    by Jerelis

Most Recent Things to Do in Hoorn

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    Museum van de 20ste Eeuw – Amazing location.

    by Jerelis Written Nov 1, 2011
    Sam and Iris at the front facade of the museum.
    2 more images

    First of all I want to say that I was born right across this beautiful building in the city of Hoorn. The old historical harbour of the beautiful city of Hoorn. Therefore my roots are at this particular spot and it always feels like coming home when I’m here. But besides my emotions for this spot I can also say what makes this location amazing for you. The Museum van de 20ste Eeuw (Museum of the 20th Century) is located in a historical building that used to be a prison. Giving it a new function wasn’t easy at all, because it is a protected building. First of all they reorganized the entrance of the island and now there is a slope, a dyke, a viewpoint and a promenade.

    The new accessibility introduced a new dimension to the historic city centre of Hoorn. It resulted in a new complex with a strong relation between old and new. At this little island you will find an apartment, a cinema, tourist information center, a hotel, a grand café and of course the museum. Time for us to enter the museum and explore it!

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    't Weeshuis/Mariakapel

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 25, 2010
    Mariakapel - Hoorn
    1 more image

    't Weeshuis (Orphanage) and the adjacent Mariakapel (Maria Chapel) are transformed into a hotel for artists and a workshop. The Hotel is supported by the Hoorn City Council, the Province of Noord-Holland, and the Mondriaan Foundation.

    The Maria Chapel was the cloister church of the Maria cloister, one of 9 cloisters that once were located in Hoorn. The big fire of 1877 stopped religeous services; thereafter the church has been in service by the "Gereformeerde gemeenschap".

    In the 1990's the chapel changed into the art center.

    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Archeology
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    The Hoorn Harbour

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 24, 2010
    Hoorn Harbour
    4 more images

    The Hoorn Harbour is nice to stroll along and watch the diversity of ships in the harbour. From the "Houten Hood" landing you have a great view over a part of the IJsselmeer; the former Zuiderzee. Also the locks and the wooden draw bridges makes the harbour pitoresque.

    In ancient times the harbour was the departure point for the VOC-ships on their way to the East-Indies.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Hoofdtoren

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 24, 2010
    Hoofdtoren - Hoorn
    4 more images

    The Hoofdtoren is a defense tower that dates from 1531. It stands at the harbour entrance and controlled the shiplane to Hoorn. In front of the tower is the Houten Hoofd, a wooden landing made in 1464. In 1651 a bell tower was constructed on top of the tower.

    The lock to the main harbour dates from 1778.

    Thw tower became the office for the Noordse Compagnie or Compagie van Spitsbergen, a company that specialised in whaling.

    Nowadays the tower is a Restaurant.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 23, 2010
    De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe - Hoorn
    4 more images

    The "Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe" are Hajo and Rolf who signed on to sail with the ship Nieuw-Hoorn of skipper Bontekoe. When the ships leaves Hoorn in 1618 on it's journey to the East Indies, Padde -Hajo's friend- has to join too, as he fell asleep at the departure and was unable to disembark. In the following two years many adventures pass, like mutiny, explosion, piracy and stranding on an Island.

    When Bontekoe returns his journal is published by Jan Jansz Deutel (first edtion in 1646) and it becomes a bestseller.

    In 1924 writer Johan Fabricius, inspired by the original journal writes a dramatized youth book called "De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe".

    The statue of the three boys is sculpted by Jan van Druten and revealed in 1968.

    One of the plaquettes at the statue reads: "Verlaat je schip niet, voordat het onder je bezwijkt".

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Sint Jans Gasthuis

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 23, 2010
    Sint Jans Gasthuis - Hoorn

    The first Hoorn Gasthuis (or guesthouse/hospital) was built by permission of count Willem V. It was located at the Church street next to the Rode Steen square. The building was part of the cloister at the same location. The number of the patients increased through the ages and the government and civilians wanted to have control over the hospital as well. Several buildings in the vicinity were rebuilt and equipped to become a Gasthuis. In 1539 the construction of the Sint Jans Gasthuis started. Through the following ages the nature of the care changed and eventually the building became an old people's home. In 1841 the caretaking function was stopped and the interior was removed in 1858. From 1860 till 1922 the building was a clothing- and weapons depot for the local army garrison. Thereafter the local government used the building for the storage of cheese and butter, hence the name "Boterhal" the building was given. After being used as a social workshop and a museum depot, since 1982 the building is under management of the local artist/craftmen society. From 1993-1994 the Gasthuis was renovated.

    Related to:
    • Photography
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Oud Mann'en Vrouw Huys / Sint Pietershof

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 22, 2010
    Sint Pietershof - Hoorn
    2 more images

    The Oud Mann'en Vrouw Huys or Sint Pietershof started as a small cloister in 1425. After a few troublesome decades a stone church and cloister building were constructed in 1493.

    In 1577 the cloister was converted into an old men-home. In 1617 a part of the building was converted into cells for drunkards and mad people. In 1636 the building became home to old women as well. In 1700 a fire destroyed a major part of the building. New buildings were erected, but in 1796 the house went bankrupt. In 1814 the Dutch Goverment toke over control and not much later the building became a military prison. In 1926 the garrison moved out of Hoorn and the building was reconstructed into 97 smaller houses.

    Text above the entrance:
    Consulibus flammescit amor: nec Patribus ardor Occidit.
    Obsepsit flammea cura senes.
    Machina testatur. Firmant insignia.
    Tantis Praemia sint Superis exoritur a Viris.

    Visiting hours: Only at the "Open Munumentendag"

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Photography
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Grote Kerk (Big Church)

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 18, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Grote Kerk - Hoorn
    2 more images

    The Grote Kerk or Big Church was constructed as the third church at this location from 1881 till 1883, replacing the former even bigger church that burned to the ground after it was hit by lightning in 1878. The church and its 60 meters high tower define the Hoorn skyline.

    The first church dated from the Middle Ages and was destroyed by a fire when the roof was repaired in 1838.

    One of the rare remaining pieces is a plaquette of the Battle of the Sont from the grave of Pieter Florisse.

    In 1975 the church was close and the interior was converted into an appartments and shops.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Oosterkerk (East Church)

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oosterkerk - Hoorn
    1 more image

    The Oosterkerk is almost the oldest church in Hoorn. The building was visited by the local fishermen ans schippers. Originally the St. Anthony chapel stood at this location, but that wooden building was demolished in 1483 and replaced by a stone chapel. In 1519 the first part of the present church was built; in the decades thereafter the constructing of the rest of the church was finished.

    The building was renovated in the 1970-ies and reopened on May 7, 1982. Now it's a multifunctional building for concerts and events.

    The clock is not placed in the tower, but perpendicular to the building above the street entrance.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Bossuhuizen (Houses of Bossu)

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bossuhuizen - Hoorn
    4 more images

    The Bossuhuizen are three houses at the Slapershaven. The gablestones display the sea batlle of the Zuiderzee in 1573 and read like a illustrated story. In the battle the local West-Frisians defeated the Spanish fleet of Admiral Bossu.

    On the left house is a part of a poem by Jacob Coenraetsz Mayvogel:
    Tot eer van haer geslacht tot lof van dese daed
    Die klampen hem aen boort, die weten nog wel raedt
    Hier is een Hoorens hop, daer gaet het op een veghten

    Daer siet men 't eene schip vast aen 't ander heghten
    Daer siet men reghte liefde, daer doet men onderstant
    Daer veght men zonder gelt, voor 't lieve Vaderland

    On the middle house it reads:
    En sonder twyefel Dit daer sijnder ook In t midden,
    Daer sijnder op Het land die Godt met Mooses bidden,
    Tot dat men Over wint Gelijck het Is geschiet,
    Waer van men Huijden noch een klare teken siet.

    On the right house it reads:
    O! loffelijke daed Q! schoone gulde tijden!
    Wie dat er aen gedenkt, die moet hem nog verblijden,
    Het Land dat schut en beeft den vijand die komt aen:
    Hij wil met Amelek gantsch Israël verslaen.
    Hij koomt met groote macht, maar Godt heeft ons gegeven,
    Ook Arons ende hurs, wiens namen zijn geschreven

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Kleine Oosterbrug (Bridge at the Kleine Oost)

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kleine Oosterbrug - Hoorn
    2 more images

    The Kleine Oosterbrug is a small draw-bridge connecting the Grote Oost and Kleine Oost streets; the entrance roads from the East to the old city.

    At this point the former East Gate was located. In 1818 the gate was demolished; parts of the foundation are still visible at the West side of the bridge.

    Ships that want to pass also have to go through the locks; use Marifoon channel 74.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Road Trip
    • Sailing and Boating

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Oosterpoort (East Gate)

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 17, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oosterpoort - Hoorn

    The Oosterpoort is the sole remaining city gate of Hoorn. The original gate was located at the small bridge in the Grote Oost street, that was demolished in 1818.

    The present gate was build by Joost Jansz. Bilhamer in 1578 at the new defense canal the "Draafsingel". in 1601 a small house was built on top.

    The wooden bridge leading to the gate was replaced by a brick one in 1763.

    Till 1957 the gate was the only entrance into Hoorn from the East side.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Statenlogement

    by pieter_jan_v Written Jul 14, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Statenlogement - Hoorn
    4 more images

    The Statenlogement partly dates from 1435 as the oldest building was a part of the Sint Cecilia convent. After winning the sea battle in 1573 the Spanish army retreated and in Northern Holland a free local government was formed.
    From 1613 till 1618 the present Statenlogement was build as a permanent seat for the "College van Gecommitteerde Raden van het Noorderkwartier & Westfriesland".

    The Scheepenkamer room was used as a dining hall. This room has a magnificent painting by Jan Theunisz Blankerhof called "De slag op de Zuiderzee" (The Battle of the Zuiderzee") with a carved frame by Johannes Kinnema.

    From 1796 till 1977 the building was in use as the Hoorn City Hall. It still is a location for weddings and official receptions.

    During summer the building is open to the public on Wednesdays from 10.30AM to 4.30PM. In the garden drinks can be ordered.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

    Was this review helpful?

  • ardnas67's Profile Photo

    de hoofdtoren (head tower)

    by ardnas67 Written Jan 13, 2008

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    the harbour of Hoorn
    4 more images

    In 1531 this head tower was build in the harbour of Hoorn, for defence of the town.
    In 1651 the bell tower was placed on the tower. In 1778 a lock was build next to the tower. Now a days in the head tower is a restaurant

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • ardnas67's Profile Photo

    scheepsjongens van bontekoe

    by ardnas67 Written Jan 12, 2008

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    ans the front of the boys
    3 more images

    The Scheepsjongens of Bontekoe

    "the Scheepsjongens of Bontekoe" is a book, written by Johan Fabricius.The book plays in the time of the united East-Indian-Indian company. Dozens of ships turned then load from East Indie. One of them were the captain Willem IJsbrantsz Bontekoe, a legendary character from Hoorn. On its ship three boys made their first travel trip on the world sea. Their names were Rolf, Padde and Hajo.

    Sculptor Jan van Drunen got the task in 1967, to make the three sea in bronze and since then the boys concerning the water of the port.

    Now a days there is also a film of the three boys in Holland

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Hoorn

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

71 travelers online now

Comments

Hoorn Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Hoorn things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hoorn sightseeing.

View all Hoorn hotels