While in Hoorn visit the Westfries Museum, This beautiful 1632 building holds 17th-century artifacts brought from Indonesia by ships of the United East India Company (V.O.C.), armor, weapons, paper cuttings, costumes, toys, naive paintings (which embody a style that is deliberately "childlike"), coins, medals, jewels, civic guards' paintings, porcelain, and a second-floor exhibit that details the town's maritime history. There are also tapestries and 17th- and 18th-century period rooms. A collection of Bronze Age relics is exhibited in the basement. The museum is open April through September, Monday through Friday from 11am to 5pm, Saturday from 2 to 5pm, Sunday from noon to 5pm; October through March, Monday through Friday from 11am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 5pm. Admission is 4€ for adults, 2€ for seniors and children under 17.
The Oosterkerk ('east church') has a facade in Manneristic style, possibly designed by Hendrick de Keyser and built in 1616, but apart from that the building is Gothic. This is the former church of St. Anthonis, built in 1519. Traditionally this was the church of the sailors. Like the Noorderkerk this church has a clock which is positioned like a signboard.
A nice early-Renaissance facade graces this former hospital, which dates from 1563. It's now used for exhibitions of the work of local artists. It's also known as Boterhal ('butter hall'), a reminder of the period when butter and eggs were sold here.
The Noorderkerk is a three-aisled building in Gothic style. Work started in 1441, but since 1426 a wooden church had stood at this location, dedicated to Mary. The nave was completed in 1450, followed by the choir and the transept in 1453. Later side-aisle were added that since 1519 give the church from the outside the appearance of a hall-church. The church has a clock that is positioned like a signboard.
The Roman Catholic H.H. Cyriacus en Franciscus dates from 1879-1882 and was designed by A.C. Bleys. This architect, who was born in Hoorn, later designed the St. Nicolaas in Amsterdam, which in many ways is a bigger and perfected version of this church. Unusual for a Roman Catholic church is the neo-Renaissance style it was built in. Catholic churches in that period were mostly in neo-Gothic style; neo-Renaissance was the preferred style of the protestant 'enemy'.
The Statenlogement partly dates from 1435 as the oldest building was a part of the Sint Cecilia convent. After winning the sea battle in 1573 the Spanish army retreated and in Northern Holland a free local government was formed.
From 1613 till 1618 the present Statenlogement was build as a permanent seat for the "College van Gecommitteerde Raden van het Noorderkwartier & Westfriesland".
The Scheepenkamer room was used as a dining hall. This room has a magnificent painting by Jan Theunisz Blankerhof called "De slag op de Zuiderzee" (The Battle of the Zuiderzee") with a carved frame by Johannes Kinnema.
From 1796 till 1977 the building was in use as the Hoorn City Hall. It still is a location for weddings and official receptions.
During summer the building is open to the public on Wednesdays from 10.30AM to 4.30PM. In the garden drinks can be ordered.
The Oosterpoort is the sole remaining city gate of Hoorn. The original gate was located at the small bridge in the Grote Oost street, that was demolished in 1818.
The present gate was build by Joost Jansz. Bilhamer in 1578 at the new defense canal the "Draafsingel". in 1601 a small house was built on top.
The wooden bridge leading to the gate was replaced by a brick one in 1763.
Till 1957 the gate was the only entrance into Hoorn from the East side.
The Kleine Oosterbrug is a small draw-bridge connecting the Grote Oost and Kleine Oost streets; the entrance roads from the East to the old city.
At this point the former East Gate was located. In 1818 the gate was demolished; parts of the foundation are still visible at the West side of the bridge.
Ships that want to pass also have to go through the locks; use Marifoon channel 74.
The Bossuhuizen are three houses at the Slapershaven. The gablestones display the sea batlle of the Zuiderzee in 1573 and read like a illustrated story. In the battle the local West-Frisians defeated the Spanish fleet of Admiral Bossu.
On the left house is a part of a poem by Jacob Coenraetsz Mayvogel:
Tot eer van haer geslacht tot lof van dese daed
Die klampen hem aen boort, die weten nog wel raedt
Hier is een Hoorens hop, daer gaet het op een veghten
Daer siet men 't eene schip vast aen 't ander heghten
Daer siet men reghte liefde, daer doet men onderstant
Daer veght men zonder gelt, voor 't lieve Vaderland
On the middle house it reads:
En sonder twyefel Dit daer sijnder ook In t midden,
Daer sijnder op Het land die Godt met Mooses bidden,
Tot dat men Over wint Gelijck het Is geschiet,
Waer van men Huijden noch een klare teken siet.
On the right house it reads:
O! loffelijke daed Q! schoone gulde tijden!
Wie dat er aen gedenkt, die moet hem nog verblijden,
Het Land dat schut en beeft den vijand die komt aen:
Hij wil met Amelek gantsch Israël verslaen.
Hij koomt met groote macht, maar Godt heeft ons gegeven,
Ook Arons ende hurs, wiens namen zijn geschreven
The Oosterkerk is almost the oldest church in Hoorn. The building was visited by the local fishermen ans schippers. Originally the St. Anthony chapel stood at this location, but that wooden building was demolished in 1483 and replaced by a stone chapel. In 1519 the first part of the present church was built; in the decades thereafter the constructing of the rest of the church was finished.
The building was renovated in the 1970-ies and reopened on May 7, 1982. Now it's a multifunctional building for concerts and events.
The clock is not placed in the tower, but perpendicular to the building above the street entrance.
The Westfries Museum is more than 100 years in operation. The collection varies from paintings to archeologic treasures, In the maze of rooms an amazing number of items is on display showing the history of the area.
The oldest building from 1632 was built as the headquarter for the local Counsil.
Also parts of former houses, the “Grote Stynhuys” and the “Hoge Huys” or “Proostenhuys” still are a part (in the basements) of the present museum.
The cast iron entrance gate was made by J. Uljé in 1929.
Admission fee: € 6.50 (adult)
Ma-Fr: 11AM - 5PM
Sa-Su: 1PM - 5PM
The Grote Kerk or Big Church was constructed as the third church at this location from 1881 till 1883, replacing the former even bigger church that burned to the ground after it was hit by lightning in 1878. The church and its 60 meters high tower define the Hoorn skyline.
The first church dated from the Middle Ages and was destroyed by a fire when the roof was repaired in 1838.
One of the rare remaining pieces is a plaquette of the Battle of the Sont from the grave of Pieter Florisse.
In 1975 the church was close and the interior was converted into an appartments and shops.
The Koepelkerk (or Dome Church) was built in 1879-1882, designed by architect A.C. Bleys, known from the Amsterdam St. Nicolas Church. The Hoorn church was built in a neo-Renaissance style and dedicated to St. Cyriacus and St. Franciscus.
The church now is managed by the Koepelkerk foundation.
There still are Roman Catholic services on Sundays. On weekdays the church is open to other events or for a visit to the Maria chapel.
More Koepelkerk church images.
on the square are beautiful old buildings like the Westfries Museum, the Waag and the statue of Jan Pieterszoon Coen (he was born in Hoorn) This square is the beginning of a shopping area
"Rode Steen"(the red stone) is called that way because of all the blood that flew after an execution. The stone on the square is a copy. The original red stone, soaked through blood you can find in the Westfries Museum
Founded in 1357, Hoorn rapidly grew to become a major harbour town. During Holland's 'Golden Century', Hoorn was an important home base for the Dutch East India Company and a very prosperous centre of trade. The Hoorn fleet plied the seven seas and returned laden with precious commodities. Exotic spices such as pepper, nutmeg, cloves and mace were sold at vast profits. With their skill in trade and seafaring, sons of Hoorn established the town's name far and wide. In 1616, the explorer Willem Corneliszoon Schouten braved furious storms as he rounded the southernmost tip of America. He named it Kaap Hoorn (Cape Horn) in honour of his hometown.