The Gedenknaald (Remembrance needle) is located in the vicinity of the lower light house.
Original the 12 meters high needle was located at the Sluiseiland (lock island), but it was removed in 1963 due to the raise of the island and move to the Seinpostweg in 1971.
The needle commemorates engineer Justus Dirks, the technical leader of the Nortsea canal construction. The needle was unveiled in 1923 and was paid by the shipping and merchant industry
The text on the needle reads:
AAN DE NAGEDACHTENIS VAN
HOOFDINGENIEUR 1ste KLASSE
VAN DEN WATERSTAAT
AAN ZIJNE TECHNISCHE LEIDING
IS HET NOORDZEEKANAAL
VOOR EEN GROOT DEEL
BIJ TAL VAN ANDERE
IN ONS LAND EN DAARBUITEN
HEEFT HIJ EVENEENS
DEN NAAM VAN DEN
The IJmuiden City Hall in reality is called the City Hall of Velsen (the community IJmuiden now is a part of).
The building was the last big building designed by architect W.M.Dudok; also known as the desgner of the Hilversum City Hall.
He envisioned a public square for the City Hall, Hotel and Theater and a second economical square for the street market. IJmuiden was heavily destructed in WWII and the city badly needed a reconstruction impulse. The new City Hall was a major step that was completed in 1965.
In 1993 and extention was added to the City Hall.
IJmuiden has two light houses. The combined lights create the center line for the IJgeul, the Northsea waterway to the IJmuiden harbour and Northsea canal entrance.
The lower light house is located closest to the Nortsea, next to the ship traffic control center.
The light house dates from 1878 and was designed by Quirinus Harder.
Original the tower was higher; in 1909 the upper 3 stories were romoved and move to the island of Vlieland to become a new light house for the island.
In 1966 the tower was moved a bit due to an adjustment of the waterway.
The old light house watcher houses are still at street level of the tower.
The old IJmuiden water tower dates from 1915. It has a height of 43 meters and a water capacity of 2500 cubical meters.
The remarkable exterior clock was added to the building in 1927.
The adjacent pump station and filtration plant were demolished in 2009 after years without maintenance.
In the remaining tower eleven modern apartments were created, designed by architect Ben Gillissen. One of the apartments is a Bed & Breakfast.
IJmuiden aan Zee (IJmuiden at the Sea) is known for it's South beach, the area South of the harbour pier.
The Beach is divided into 4 zones. 2 for sunbathing and swimming and 2 for activities.
Along the dunes are temporary summer cottages and beach pavilions.
Behind the dunes is the IJmuiden Marina, some restaurants and hotels and a huge parking area.
More Pictures at IJmuiden aan Zee Part 1 and %L[IJmuiden aan Zee Part 1]IJmuiden aan Zee Part 2.
The Bunker museum is housed in one of the remaining WWI German bunkers, that were build as part of the Atlantic Wall, that was suppose to protect the Third Reich of Nazi Germany.
IJmuiden with the Northsea canal entrance to Amsterdam was a key point of defense works.
The museum has original equipment and personal things of the soldiers that served here.
Entrance fee: € 3.50 for the museum and an optional € 2,00 for a guided tour of 45 minutes around the works in the dunes.
May to October; each first Sunday of the month and on special occasions (consult the museum's website).
The Fort Eiland in the middle of entrance of the Northsea canal, was constructed to pretect the canal. At the time of construction it was sitiated at the North bank of the canal, but in 1929 the canal was widened and the fortress became an island.
Since 1996 it's on the UNESCO world heritage list.
The locks are one of the attractions you have to visit while at IJmuiden.
Seeing the big ships coming and being towed is a ever attracting sight.
There's free parking.