7.50 euro entrance fee and 2.50 euro for a guide book - though there are free brochures along at the castle with a map of what there is to see in the castle.
The info boards around the entrance are interesting with historical information of the castle along with the necessities of opening times and the layout. These tell us that the castle is medieval and was built by Floris V who was Count of Holland and Zeeland. After his murder in 1296, the castle was largely destroyed and then rebuilt in 1370. The castle was used as a barracks in the 18th and 19th century.
The walls are an impressive 1.5 metres thick and the west tower is 25 metres high.
The castle is set inside the borders of the old fort beside the entrance to the River Vecht and from the top of the towers you get quite a good view of the layout of the land and the defense positions that the castle and fort would have had or provided.
The sign says here that the ' construction of Fort Aan Het Pampus was a cause of disagreement between the army and the government. The army saw no good in the structure because it considered the defense of the Zuiderzee to be a task of the navy and they didnt expect warships to be able to negotiate the shallow Zuiderzee anyway.
The politicians pressed ahead though the fort Aan Het Pampus was constructed in 1897. With the closing off of the Zuiderzee, now the IJsselmeer, in 1932 the fort lost its already doubtful reason for existence.'
The first castle on this site was built around 1280 by Count Floris V of Holland, to control the estuary of the river Vecht into the former Zuidersea. And undoubtedly it would also have been used to raise toll from passing ships on the river Vecht, as this river flowed through the territory of the bishops of Utrecht; opponents of Floris.
In 1296 Floris was abducted by rebelling noblemen and was held prisoner in Muiden Castle. They fled under the threat of a siege in the direction of Utrecht, taking Floris with them. During their flight they murdered Floris with their swords. Taking advantage of Floris death, there being no immediate successor and Floris' son being in England, Willem van Mechelen, bishop of Utrecht besieged Muiden Castle. After seizing the castle he destroyed it.
In the beginning of the 19th century the castle had fallen into decay and plans were made to demolish the castle and sell the stones. King Willem I however refused to give permission after some protest. This saved the castle and in 1895 the castle was restored.
From 1948 till 1972 the castle again underwent restorations, removing some fantasized additions from the earlier restoration. Muiden Castle is now a state museum and is used for cultural events.
Take a walk inside this little fascinating town and have a look at the fabulous boats that are in the canals.
The town is not really big, you can easily walk inside it without getting lost or without having any problem.
Pampus is a shallow area in the former inland sea the Zuiderzee. At low tide it used to block the access of seagoing ships to the Amsterdam port. It was quite a handicap for the VOC, the Dutch East Indian Trading Company.
Late in the 19th century an island fort was built at the site as one of a ring of 42 fortifications surrounding Amsterdam. The fort was abandoned in 1933 when the Zuiderzee was closed off from the North Sea by a dam and became the lake IJsselmeer.
Since 1824, seagoing ships approach Amsterdam by canal, first the Noordhollandsch Kanaal and later the Noorzeekanaal. The Noordhollandsch Kanaal was dug to alleviate the difficulties caused by the Pampus shallow.
From Muiden you can go to Pampus by boat.
National museum Muiderslot
A beautiful castle not far from Amsterdam. Tours under supervision of a guide.
Start: Few times per hour.
Duration: About 50 minutes
April to october:
Mon to Fri: 10.00 to 17.00 hrs
Sat and Sun: 13.00 to 17.00 hrs
November to Marcht
Sat and Sun: 13.00 to 16.00 hrs.