Texel Off The Beaten Path

  • Loladze Cemetery
    Loladze Cemetery
    by vtveen
  • Loladze Cemetery - entrance
    Loladze Cemetery - entrance
    by vtveen
  • Loladze Cemetery
    Loladze Cemetery
    by vtveen

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Texel

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Windmill Het Noorden

    by vtveen Written Mar 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Windmill Het Noorden
    4 more images

    The island of Texel has a couple of so called ‘polders’, especially in the eastern part of the island. After the inpoldering of the polder ‘Het Noorden’ a new huge mill was built in the year of 1878 to drain this and a couple of other polders. But in 1913 a pumping-engine was built to drain the polders; the mill became more or less a ‘spare engine’ till 1923, when the mill was not used any longer.
    In 1970 the mill was transferred to the association ‘De Hollandsche Molen’ (the Dutch Mill). Nowadays volunteers maintain the mill and the buildings and some times it is still in function. On these days it is possible to visit the (inside of the) mill.

    I have seen a lot of Dutch mills, but this one is beautifully situated; just beneath an impressive dike, surrounded by water and at the edge of flat polder scenery and nature reserve ‘de Bol’ with a lot of water birds.
    During our visit we were very lucky with a blue sky, which reflected in the surrounding ‘lakes’. We had great views from the dike of the mill and the surrounding scenery. It is also possible to approach the mill itself and to walk around the building. .

    Information
    Address: Stuifweg 4, 1794 HB Oosterend
    Directions: 2 km's north of the village of Oosterend, along the dike of the Waddensea. On the dike is a car park.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Fortress ‘De Schans’

    by vtveen Updated Mar 1, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fortress De Schans
    3 more images

    Even before the time of the Dutch VOC (the well known 17th and 18th century sea trading company) Texel was a major route for ships to/from the Zuider Sea area. William of Orange took the initiative to build Fortress ‘De Schans’ to protect this route.
    ‘De Schans’ was built around 1574. Admiral Tromp used to hold court martials in De Schans on a regular basis. Executions were carried out right on the spot. Napoleon visited the fortress in 1811 and subsequently ordered that the fortress be expanded and reinforced by two neighbouring fortresses (Lunette and Redoute).

    Driving through the flat polders of Texel we suddenly approached the impressive green walls of Fortress ‘De Schans’ surrounded by moats. We decided to take a look at this site, restored and owned by Natuurmonumenten - a kind of National Trust in the Netherlands - and walked around along the walls, over drawbridges and through gates in the wall. From the top of the wall we had a view of the star-shaped fortress, the impressive dike along the Waddensea and the ‘hills’ of Texel (De Hoge Berg).

    Information
    Fortress ‘De Schans’ is accessible free of charge. In the summer there are guided tours by the Maitiem & Jutters Museum in Oudeschild (www.www.texelsmaritiem.nl).

    Fortress ‘De Schans’ is located 1 km south of Oudeschild, just beneath the Waddensea dike (Schansweg).

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    The Slufter, nature area

    by vtveen Written Mar 3, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Slufter - be aware of the mud
    4 more images

    The Slufter came into being after some breaches of the (man made) dunes between the two former islands of Texel in 1851. Others were repaired, but this one ‘the kleine Slufter’ still exists and now is an important nature area on Texel. Seawater still floods twice a day parts of the Slufter and after a heavy storm the water reaches till the second row of dunes.

    The Slufter offers a marsh and creek system surrounded by dunes with salt water vegetation and plants that like salt water. The winding creeks do attract lots of birds.

    We entered the area from the end of the Slufterweg by climbing the huge dunes (as a matter of fact this is a man made dike of sand). From the top - also accessible by wheelchairs - we had a fantastic view of this nature reserve.

    We tried to reach the beach, but we were getting entangled in the crisscross of creeks and mud.
    Perhaps it would have been better to follow the signs (‘Strand’) to the beach. Be aware of the mud in the reserve and wear steady footwear or even better boots.

    Direction
    The Slufter is located just behind the dunes at the western part of Texel, southeast of the village of De Cocksdorp. It is accessible from the end of the Slufterweg and from the carpark at the end of the Krimweg (from De Cocksdorp).

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Birdwatching

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Lighthouse Texel

    by vtveen Written Mar 3, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Texel lighthouse
    4 more images

    It is also called Lighthouse Eierland, named after the island of Eierland, on of the two former islands, which were emerged to present Texel. The lighthouse is surrounded by a vast dune area, called ‘Eierlandse Duinen’ and is located on the most northern point of Texel.

    The lighthouse has been built in 1864 after some civilians of Texel attended on the dangers of the waters between Texel and the island of Vlieland (72 ships had wrecked between 1848 and 1860). The tower itself is 37 metres high.
    During the uprising of the Georgians - they barricaded themselves in the tower - the lighthouse was heavily damaged and had to be ‘rebuilt’. In 1950 it was lighted again.

    As said the tower is surrounded by a scenic dune area on the mainland side and a very wide beach (especially at low tide). It is a very pleasant walking clockwise ‘around’ the tower from the car park at the end of the ‘Vuurtorenweg’. After finishing your walk have a drink or snack in ‘Restaurant De Toren’ with great views of the beach and ‘of course’ the bright red coloured lighthouse.

    Till yet (early 2008) is it not possible to get close to the tower or to visit, but there are plans to open the tower for visitors. Just check during your Texel-visit.

    Directions
    The lighthouse is situated on the most northern point of Texel, a couple of km’s north of the village of De Cocksdorp.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    ‘Tuunwallen’- unique garden walls

    by vtveen Written Mar 3, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    'Tuunwallen' nearby the 'Hoge Berg'
    2 more images

    Between the villages of Den Burg, Den Hoorn and Oudeschild lies a more or less hilly landscape (at least it is hilly for a flat island as Texel is) with the highest hill ‘Hoge Berg’ at ‘more than’ 15 metres above sea level.

    The pastures in this part of the island are separated by so called ‘Tuunwallen” and do have a lot of typical Texel sheep-shed and drinking pools for the sheep. ‘Tuunwallen’ are man made walls of about 1 metre high and are made of piled turfs. They separate meadows and fields in this part of the island and are unique for the Netherlands.
    ‘Tuunwallen’ date back to the year of 1562 and nowadays there is about 80 km’s of these hedges meandering through the scenery. Since a couple of years they are renovated and new built.

    It is nice hiking around between these walls and watching the sheep and lambs (in spring). Just walk around on your own or ask a self guided walk at the Information Office in Den Burg.

    The website (in Dutch) has some more info/pics: http://www.zeeinzicht.nl/vleet/content/ned/index.php?use_template=ecomare.html&item=zee&pageid=NED1243.HTM

    Was this review helpful?

  • tompt's Profile Photo

    Monument for the Georgian soldiers

    by tompt Updated Aug 21, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Friendship tree,monument for the Georgian soldiers

    This monument can be found at the Texel War Cemetery. It is to remember the friendshipbonds between Texel and Georgia.

    This friendship goes back to the second world war.
    Georgian soldiers, forced to serve in the German army, stood up against the Germans in april 1945. They killed the germans in their own batalion, but couldn´t win of the re-enforcements that the german army flew in. Besides this the german army in Den Helder began firing cannons at the island. In this battle, that took 5 weeks, 565 Georgians, 120 Texelaars and approx. 800 Germans died.

    The Georgians are buried at Loladze cemetery at De Hoge Berg, near Den Burg.

    After the war the people from Texel and Georgia kept in touch untill the cold war prevented the Texel - Georgia relationship.

    This monument is placed here by the Georgians after the cold war, when ties between Texel and Georgia were fixed again.

    More about this battle, also called the russian war, can be found in our Russian war travelogue.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • tompt's Profile Photo

    de hoge Berg

    by tompt Updated Aug 21, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    de hoge berg, Texel

    Just south of Den Burg is an area they call de hoge berg (the high mountain). It is only 15 meters above sealevel, but it stands out in the flat landscape of Texel.
    The dutch natureconservation organasation (naatuurmonumenten) does protect this area. There are some great hiking paths.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    De Cocksdorp - Reformed Church of De Cocksdorp.

    by Jerelis Updated Apr 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The beautiful Reformed Church of De Cocksdorp.

    What else does de Cocksdorp has to offer? Not too much to be honest. A large amount of the original farms and houses have been replaced by new buildings, because many buildings were destroyed during the Georgian uprising. Yet the style of construction of some of the farms and houses still indicates the original ones.

    But a very nice building to see and visit is the Reformed Church of De Cocksdorp. This particular church was taken in to use as early as 1841. The church has a lavishly carved oak pulpit from the first half of the 17th century. It comes from the English Church in The Hague, which was taken out of use in 1822. Unfortunately we were not able to enter it, because it's only open in the summer during the markets on thursday evening. After the sightseeing we drove some more on our bikes through the surroundings of De Cocksdorp. We visited the Moai statues at the 'Eiland Gallerij' and the Texel Airport 'Vlijt' with its large amount of activities.

    Address:
    Village of De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern part of the island. It's a 17 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Georgian Cemetery

    by vtveen Updated Mar 1, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Loladze Cemetery
    3 more images

    At the Georgian Cemetery of Texel (or officially Loladze Cemetery, named after the Georgian Commander) lie 476 Georgian soldiers buried, who were casualties of the so called Georgian Uprising in the last weeks of World War II. They were still fighting after the liberation of the Netherlands and the surrender of Germany on May 8th 1945.

    These soldiers were captured in Georgia and forced to fight in the German army. On the night of April 4th - 5th they thought that the Allies would land soon and took over the island and killed 400 German soldiers. But after a few weeks of very tough fighting the Germans took control of the island again. This battle caused a lot of casualties: 117 people of Texel, 565 Georgian soldiers and more than 800 Germans.

    The cemetery is located in the middle of the flat scenery of Texel, close to the ‘hills’ of the island called ‘Hoge Berg’. It is a simple, but impressive memorial of this uprising and its casualties. The cemetery has a lot of rose bushes - must be a nice when these are flowering - and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are just 476 of these bushes; one for each fallen Georgian.

    For more information about the Georgian Uprising see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_Uprising_of_Texel

    Directions
    Take exit #5 on the road between 't Horntje and Den Burg and follow the sign "Begraafplaats der Georgiërs"; after about 500 metres you will see the cemetery on your left hand side.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    De Cocksdorp - After a nice bike trip.

    by Jerelis Updated Apr 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Vincent is giving Iris something to drink.

    We visited De Cocksdorp after a nice bike trip through the dunes and along the Vuurtoren. In the village we did some groceries and had a nice cappuchino and something to eat. Once we took a look around we did notice that the town is still a small village, but we heared that in the summertime a serious number of tourists come to partake in the good access to the beaches.

    It was fun to see that the original blacksmith shop and house were still standing in the centre of the village. The address is Kikkerstraat 47. However, it is no longer a blacksmith shop and house today. The large Roggesloot Canal was just east of us and likely where the family ice skated in 1850s and 60s. We enjoyed the nice weather and the view we had at the current Roman Catholic Church of De Cocksdorp, which was taken into use in 1877.

    Address:
    Village of De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern part of the island. It's a 17 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Family Travel
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    De Cocksdorp - Youngest village on Texel.

    by Jerelis Updated Apr 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Jeroen and Iris driving a bike into De Cocksdorp.

    De Cocksdorp is the youngest village on Texel and is situated in the north east of the island. The village was built near the Roggesloot, and old stream. The history of De Cocksdorp can be narated in a few words, because this young village came about in 1835 near the very small harbour. It was initially called Nieuwdorp, but was named after Nicholas Josephus De Cock after only a few months. De Cock was an Antwerp shipowner who founded the "Society of Ownership of Eierland". Eierland is the new land near De Cocksdorps. The impoldering of Eierland provided a large amount of extra land. The farmers that settled in the new polder came from different regions in the Netherlands and even abroad. The names of some of the farms and houses in the centre of De Cocksdorp still remind of this. For instance "Breda", "Zeeland", "Rotterdam" and "Lou Christi".

    The entrance to the town is something special, we trully were amazed; the branches of trees on either side of the Molenlaan have grown together in such a way that they form a tunnel into the village.

    Address:
    Village of De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern part of the island. It's a 17 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Cycling
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    Vuurtoren van Eierland - Northern-most point.

    by Jerelis Updated Aug 2, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Close up of the Vuurtoren in the fog.

    The water between Texel and Vlieland is very treacherous, because different currents meet there. This placed ships in trouble regularly. The large amount of ships that ran aground off the coast of Texel (72 in the period 1848 - 1860) was cause for the notary of Texel at that time, to campaign for the construction of a lighthouse.

    This lighthouse was built on the northern-most point of Texel in 1864. A bit further to the south east you will find a jetty. From this point touristic ferry services are organized to the neighbouring island of Vlieland. This ferry service is only active between the months of May and September.

    Address:
    Vuurtorenweg 184, 1795 LN De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern tip of the island. It's a 18 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Cycling
    • Beaches

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    Vuurtoren van Eierland - Under heavy fire.

    by Jerelis Updated Aug 2, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Driving on our bikes towards the Vuurtoren.

    In April 1945, during the uprise of the Georgians, the lighthouse was under heavy fire. A number of Georgians had barricaded themselves in the lighthouse, upon which it was blasted by the Germans. The lighthouse was damaged so severely that the original cone-shaped tower was given a cylindrical casing.

    The fact that the Vuurtoren is still standing where it is today is owed to the preserving asphalt sloping sea walls. This sea wall does take care that the Vuurtoren is not swept away by the strong ocean current between the islands of Texel and Vlieland. A nice fact is that this Vuurtoren used to be 3 kilometers away from the sea, only 150 years ago!

    Address:
    Vuurtorenweg 184, 1795 LN De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern tip of the island. It's a 18 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Beaches
    • Cycling
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • eden_teuling's Profile Photo

    TEXEL TICKET

    by eden_teuling Written Jul 12, 2004

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    SIGHTSEEING BY BUS....TEXEL

    WANT TO SEE all there is on TEXEL???

    Then buy a TEXEL TICKET.... and for 4,50 euro you can use all buses for a whole day!

    All 7 villages can be reached and visited and the drivers will assist you (with pleasure) to tell you where to go, they know all particulars and it is wise to listen to them....they know what they are talking about!

    And...have a look at my SEE & DO TIPS in THIS texel page.....and you too, will know what you want to do or see!

    So....HOP ON AND HOP OFF and enjoy TEXEL for a whole day.....

    P.S. YOU CAN BUY THE TICKET IN ADVANCE!

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

    Vuurtoren van Eierland - Not allowed to enter.

    by Jerelis Updated Aug 2, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The vuurtoren at the horizon.

    We drove to the Vuurtoren by bike, which was a very nice drive.

    When we arrived we were a bit disappointed that we were not allowed to enter the premessis, but still it was a nice place to visit.

    Address:
    Vuurtorenweg 184, 1795 LN De Cocksdorp

    Directions:
    Situated at the north eastern tip of the island. It's a 18 km drive from the capital of Texel, Den Burg.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Texel

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

111 travelers online now

Comments

Texel Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Texel off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Texel sightseeing.

View all Texel hotels