Giethoorn Restaurants

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Smit's: The waterside pavillion

by ATLC Written Aug 24, 2008

Smit's pavillion, Giethoorn

During my teens I spent a punter holiday in Giethoorn and we'd always end up here after a day of sailing and games. I just had to have hot chocolate and whipped cream this time, just like in the old days.

Pavillion Smit's goes back to the 1930s when farmer Teunis Gerrits Smit decided to build a floating pavillion behind his farm. It was only accessible from the water and was used for the iceskating club and for summer guests. Those summer guests could then rent bathing suits and change in little cabins. In 1947 the pavillion was moved to an artificial island and connected to mainland. The pavillion featured prominently in the film 'Fanfare', by famous Dutch cineast Bert Haanstra.

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate with whipped cream! I don't think I ever had anything else here :-)

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Bull's: Food can't get any better than this

by Nathalie_B Updated Apr 4, 2011

THE casserole

On the first day of our visit to Giethoorn we decided to check out some local restaurants. Since we were biking in the countryside all day long we didn't feel like going far and reading every menu of all the restaurants in town. Bull's was the closest one to our rented house.
    It was quite a big restaurant with empty tables and busy bar. Locals were enjoying their day off and the person behind the bar seemed to enjoy the conversation with the visitors, ignoring us completely. And when I was ready to leave the table and walk out we were approached by the bartender with the menu. Now we had no choice. We stayed. The bar tender/waiter/ owner etc. appeared to be a very nice guy who provided us with a really good service. After all, what at the beginning looked like a disappointing experience turned out to be a pleasant one.

Favorite Dish: That day I wanted seafood. Mussels actually. But June is definitely not the season. So I ordered the "Stoofpotje van witvis, zalm, mosselen en garnalen" (casserole with white fishm salmon, mussels, and shrimp) . This dish happened to be the BEST thing I've ever eaten during my 2 years in the Netherlands!! They serve enough fresh bread with the dish, knowing that you won't want to let this tasty sause go.
    Little me, who always complains about either food, or service, or both, couldn't stop complimenting the waiter on the perfect dinner.
    Besides the fish dishes, Bull's serve great steaks. Their steak in mushrooms sauce was really good.
    And of course all the dishes arrive to the table along with french and belgian fries, and vegetables.
    Strawberry sorbet was a great conclusion of the perfect dinner

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Smit's Paviljoen: At the edge of the Bovenwijde lake

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 15, 2013

Smit's Paviljoen

Smit's Paviljoen becames famous by its prominent appearance in the Dutch movie "Fanfare" by Bert Haanstra.

It's an ever busy place and from the terrace you have a wonderful view over the Bovenwijde lake.

Favorite Dish: Any refreshment!

• Sailing and Boating

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Smit's: A stopover for ice cream and beer

by Nathalie_B Written Jun 26, 2005

Vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries

Smit's is a nice cafe-restaurant situated on a pier. Boating in the lake we were fairly tired, thirsty, and sunburned. Cold beer, ice coffee, or milkshake sounded really good. But Smit's serve neither milkshakes nor ice coffees, so I sattled for ice cream with strawberries.
    It's a nice place which is hard to miss since it is situated kinda on the lake itself. Tie your boat to may hooks on the pier and enjoy your cold drink.
    Smit's serve food as well, but it was too early for us to even start thinking about lunch or dinner.
    In the Netherlands Giethoorn is known as a place where the famous black and white movie Fanfare took place. You'll see a lot of pictures of cows transported on boats via the canals. Smit's has quite a few old pictures that show how the place looked back in the 50's when the movie was shot.
    You can also use their restrooms, you may have to pay about 50 Euro cents if you're not a cafe's guest, but at least it is very clean.
    The restaurant is also accessible from the land, if you come from the other side of the town.

• Roeffie's Profile Photo

Party Restaurant Eetcafe "Fanfare": Eat and drink in a movielocation!

by Roeffie Updated Aug 6, 2003
    Fanfare

Nothing fancy but good and payable food!

This cafe played a role in a film of the Dutch cineast Bert Haanstra, who also made the film "Glass", which got on Oscar many years ago!

Just a nice cosy place to be!

Instant Answers: Giethoorn

Comments

Giethoorn Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Giethoorn restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Giethoorn sightseeing.