Zwartsluis Off The Beaten Path

De Bazuin (picture made by AvD).
    Doopsgezinde Vermaning.
    by Jerelis
  • Beautful little houses in the Buitenkwartier.
    Beautful little houses in the...

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Zwartsluis

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Buitenkwartier - Most interesting part.

by Jerelis Updated Sep 14, 2011

Amazing surroundings to hike.

After I explored the area around the Arembergergracht and its sluice it was time for me to return back to work. I passed by a lot of historical houses, too many name them all. Most of these buildings were built in the 16th and 17th century and are well maintained, which makes it even a better pleasure to have a look at them.

For example I saw the Bazuin, this beautiful building used to start out as a little factory, but continued as a small church for the neighbourhood. I walked by the De Doopsgezinde kerk (another church built in 1842) and the little laborer's cottages. So, just keep up walking and lose yourself in this historical part of Zwartsluis. In my opinion it is even more interesting to visit this part of the village instead of the city center. I know most people don't, and I must honest, that it took me more than two years to discover this beautiful part of Zwartsluis.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Buitenkwartier - Arembergergracht and sluice.

by Jerelis Updated Sep 14, 2011

The Arembergergracht and sluice.

I don't know if it is good English, but the Arembergergracht and its sluice is a hidden gem within a hidden gem. I walked my way over the road called Buitenkwartier and the old dike towards the village of Vollenhove. Without a doubt I saw some beautiful historical houses and hidden churches like the Doopsgezinde Vermaning, built in 1842. And all of a sudden there was this huge opening in the area of houses and it was quite clear that a canal was going right through this suburb. This old canal called the Arembergergracht was handmade circa 1560 and the assignment was given by Joan de Ligne, Landgrave of Aremberg. This made it possible to transport larger vessels form the important watterway Zwarte Water to the lakes of Giethoorn.

The original Aremberger sluice was destroyed in the Spanish War, probably in 1583. It's not quite clear why it lasted so long, but the sluice was rebuilt in 1615 and is the current sluice I was looking at.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Buitenkwartier - Don't forget to visit it!

by Jerelis Updated Sep 14, 2011

Beautful little houses in the Buitenkwartier.

By the time I am writing this tip for Virtual Tourist I am working in the village of Zwartsluis for just over two and a half year. You must understand that I occassionally do take a stroll around Zwartsluis during my break. Most of the time I end up in the historicl city center and some nice little alleys around the Nederlands Hervormde Kerk. It's always a pleasure to undertake this walk which lasts a bit over 15 minutes and return to the workfloor with new energy! But not so long ago I decided to walk a new route. I crossed the busy N334 and walked my way towards the Buitenkwartier.

I was really amazed by what I saw. Nobody ever told me that this area of houses on the outskirts of Zwartsluis is of such an important historical notice. I adjusted my speed and just had to look around to all those beautiful little houses. On some plaquettes on houses I even read what that particular building meant to the neighbourhood. So, whenever you're in Zwartsluis ... don't forget to visit it!

Instant Answers: Zwartsluis

Comments

Zwartsluis Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Zwartsluis off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zwartsluis sightseeing.