Montfoort Things to Do

  • Castle Montfoort
    Castle Montfoort
    by Pijlmans
  • Castle Montfoort
    Castle Montfoort
    by Pijlmans
  • Yard of Castle Montfoort
    Yard of Castle Montfoort
    by Pijlmans

Best Rated Things to Do in Montfoort

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Old City Gate IJsselpoort

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    IJsselpoort
    3 more images

    Montfoort used to be fortified with a town wall, after it was granted city rights in 1329.

    The IJsselpoort was built around 1375 and is the only remaining gate, the others were taken down in 1831 and 1862.

    It is located along the river Hollandse IJssel.

    The IJsselpoort is special because it is attached to the Old Town Hall.

    In 1963-1965 the gate and town hall were restored. However, due to lack of information about the original buildings, it's present look must be quite different from the early buildings.

    Parts of the Old City Wall can still be seen near the Mill De Valk.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Montfoort Castle

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castle Montfoort
    4 more images

    The castle gave Montfoort it's name: Montfoort is derived from "Mont Fortis", meaning "Strong Mountain", referring to the castle.

    The castle was built by the bishop Godfried van Rheenen in 1163. Around the castle, the village formed, which got it's city rights in 1329.

    The French occupied the castle in 1672 for a short time. At their retreat, they blew up most of the castle.

    Only the gate and the front of the castle remained.

    The former castle now houses a restaurant.

    The 12 km hike called Engherkade route starts here.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Old Town Hall (Oude Stadhuis)

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oude Stadhuis
    1 more image

    In 1990, the Old Town Hall (Oude Stadhuis) was dated back to 1373, after taking samples of the wood.

    Until 1993, the building was in use as a town hall.

    Now, it houses a restaurant, see the website below.

    Next to the restaurant, the old city gate "IJsselpoort" can be found.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Mill "De Valk"

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Mill De Valk
    4 more images

    The mill was built in 1753 by major Henrik van Utenhove.

    It likely got the name De Valk (The Falcon) in the beginning of the 19th century, although it is unknown why it got this name.

    When the mill was built, the farmers were obliged to bring their grain only to this mill. Other mills were allowed to grind other materials.

    This monopoly lasted until 1822. The sudden competition made it hard to keep the mill profitable and it changed owners several times.

    Consequently, the mill fell into disrepair and even has been used as a pigsty.

    However, the mill has been restored. The restoration is still in progress and they want to make it fully functional again.

    Close to the mill, a part of the Old City Wall can be seen.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Engherkade route, a hike near Montfoort

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Engherkade route
    4 more images

    A visit to the small city Montfoort can be combined with a 12 km long (3 hour) and marked hike along the river Hollandse IJssel and through pasture.

    This hike takes you from Montfoort to the village Linschoten and back. In Linschoten you can visit the Leaning Church of Linschoten.

    The hike is marked by the Dutch Touring Club ANWB.

    Start and finish of the hike are officially in Montfoort, at the Castle. Look for small hexagonal signs attached to traffic signs or signposts with "Engherkade route" and two walking cartoons.

    The first part of the walk, to Linschoten, is mainly through pasture. The last part of the walk, from Linschoten back to Montfoort, is partly over a asphalt road. As it is a walk with the same start and finish, you can also start in Linschoten (e.g. at the leaning church) and keep the most beautiful part through the pasture for the end. See the pictures for a map.

    Montfoort itself is a pretty city with some monuments that are worth a short visit:

    Montfoort Castle
    St Jan Church
    St John the Baptist Church
    Old Town Hall
    Old City Gate IJsselpoort
    Mill De Valk
    Old City Wall

    Since the walk is mainly unpaved, it can be wet and muddy after rainy periods.

    If you want come by public transport, check http://www.9292ov.nl/. If you come by car, park near the Castle in Montfoort at the address below, or in Linschoten.

    See my Montfoort page at the link below for more info.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Old City Wall

    by Pijlmans Updated Jul 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Old City Wall
    1 more image

    When Montfoort got city rights in 1329, the city was fortified and a canal was constructed around the city.

    The fortifications included 24 defense fortresses and a bastion on which the Mill De Valk was built.

    Of the fortifications, only the Old City Gate IJsselpoort and a small part of the Old City Wall close to the Mill De Valk, along the provincial road and Achterdijk, remain.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Leaning Church of Linschoten

    by Pijlmans Written Jul 1, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Church of Linschoten
    3 more images

    The church started as a chapel of Castle Linschoten and was built around 1400.

    The church is called Grote Kerk (Big Church) or St Jan's Church.

    In 1877 the tower was shortened because the church started to lean over.

    This apparently did not help too much because the church is pretty tilted nowadays.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    St Janskerk, Church of St Jan

    by Pijlmans Written Jun 30, 2008

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St Janskerk
    4 more images

    A church from the 15th century.

    In 1629 the St Janskerk was burned down after a big fire in Montfoort.

    The church was restored in 1634.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Heilige Johannes de Doper Church

    by Pijlmans Updated Jun 30, 2008

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St John the Baptist Church
    4 more images

    The present building of the Heilige Johannes de Doper Kerk (St John the Baptist Church) dates from 1923-1925.

    Was this review helpful?

  • al_mary's Profile Photo

    Molen de Valk

    by al_mary Written Mar 5, 2006

    When in Montfoort, stop
    by the Molen de Valk, the
    towns windmill ....

    This molen is 250 years
    old, and they are now
    planning restoration ....

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Montfoort

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

72 travelers online now

Comments

Montfoort Travel Guide

Montfoort Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Montfoort things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montfoort sightseeing.

View all Montfoort hotels