Middelburg Warnings and Dangers

MIDDELBURG
    by ATLC

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Middelburg

• ATLC's Profile Photo

To tourist or not to tourist

by ATLC Updated Mar 25, 2003

MIDDELBURG TOURIST SIGN

Usually I visit Middelburg because I have to be there (or in the neighbourhood). This time (March 21st 2003) my friend and I went especialy to visit Middelburg.

We were very disappointed to find that literally everything worth visiting in town was closed from November 1st to April 1st. We were just 10 days early.

Miniature Walcheren was closed.
    -The abbey was closed.
    -The Zeeuws Museum (Zeeland Museum) will not open until 2005 (although it says 2004 on the door when we got there!).
    -The Historama (sound and light show about Zeeland life) does not exist anymore.
    -The Town Hall only has guided tours on Saturday and Sunday for one hour.
    -The abbey tower "Lange Jan" is also closed until April.
    etc.

Of course it is logical that many (guided) tours, boat tours and some objects are not available in winter.
    But this means that for the tourist visiting out of season there is not much to do from November to April.
    I already noted many German tourists and I think it is a missed chance for Middelburg.

• Trains

Finding the tourist office

by ATLC Updated Jul 8, 2005

First thing you do when visiting somewhere is often to find the tourist office. So we followed the green signs (see previous tip photo) but they proved not to be adequate and so we didn't find the tourist office after much searching.

Tip: go to the market square. if you stand on it, facing the Town Hall opposite you, then turn left. It is right round the corner, sporting a blue flag with an 'i' on it.

• Trains

Parking in Middelburg

by ATLC Written Mar 23, 2003

As we came into Middelburg from another side (not the usual entry from the N57), we found it difficult to find parking areas.

So we parked in the street where parking is for 2 hours maximum. This is too short for a visit so note that you do park your car in a parking area.
    You need cash money or (Dutch) chipcard for a parking ticket machine.

On the street parking was € 0,90 per 60 minutes.

• Museeuw's Profile Photo

Coins for the parking meter

by Museeuw Written May 9, 2007

If you come to Middelburg by car, be sure to bring coins for the parking meters. I didn't have coins, and went to different shops to ask if they could change my 10 euro banknote. Nobody wanted to! So in the end I just bought something I didn't need.

I'm sure there are lots of shops in Middelburg where they are willing to help you out, but it's easier if you bring coins.

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

warning of drug controls

by travelthrough Written Apr 21, 2005

It is sad but true that German police on the train often happen to suspect travelers and
    tourists to just visit the Netherlands for
    reasons of drug consumption (which is
    illegal in Germany). I almost was strip-
    searched on the train because apparently
    I appeared suspicious to the police on
    the train. I found it shameful and ridiculous.
    If you want to avoid such procedures, be
    sure you have no stuff like tea or other
    "suspicious" things in your luggage.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

If you have to go you have to go

by ATLC Written Mar 23, 2003

MIDDELBURG

I found this toilet sign in the abbey. "Buiten gebruik" means "out of use".
    But as "buiten" also means "outside", I wonder: do they mean "out of use" or "use outside"?
    Hehehe.

Instant Answers: Middelburg

Comments

Middelburg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Middelburg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Middelburg sightseeing.