Sluis Restaurants

Cote d'azur: Local dessert

by shavy Written Feb 6, 2014

Appelbol (apple dumpling)

Favorite Dish: The Appelbol and Poffertjes

Apple - dumpling with a drill core apple topped with sugar and cinnamon, wrapped in puff pastry
    Pancakes - are a traditional Dutch batter treat, "resembling small", fluffy pancakes, they are made ​​with yeast and buckwheat flour

This is very common snack or dessert in Sluis. If you look into the menu card you 'll find it in every restaurants

Some they eat it as dessert after the meal or some just for snack, depend how much hungry you have

Very delicious! if you love apple you will like it.
    I like apple and is one of my favorite fruit

Most restaurant in Belgium we can't get it. But in some places of Holland seems they are good for this kind of stuff

• shavy's Profile Photo

Cote d'Azur: Unlimited Mussels

by shavy Written Dec 15, 2013

Sounds French but is Holland

This is one of my favourite restaurant in Sluis, every time I come I never miss the place, the staff were very polite and helpful, service is pretty good and fast
    Compare to other restaurants we've been, sometimes have to wait half hour before we get our order. Summer or winter they have terrace outside with heater for the people who smoke they can seat out there

Favorite Dish: Unlimited mussels and spareribs were delicious. For dessert they have a very good pancake or the Holland's specialty

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Restaurant Tea Room Balmoral: Lovely canal view; friendly staff

by Beausoleil Written Nov 4, 2012
    Balmoral Restaurant Tea Room

We were in Sluis on a strange day . . . rain, sun, rain, sun. We were walking by the canal when one of the rains started and it got pretty intense so we decided it might be a good idea to duck inside a restaurant. The Balmoral was right on the canal and had a wide overhand and heaters so we chose it. Good choice!

We found a table in the back of the enclosure but still outside and checked the menu. The wait staff were very helpful, patiently explaining all the things we didn't understand. During a quiet moment our waitress came over and told us about things to visit in the area and then disappeared, quickly returning with a local tourist magazine that she gave us.

Favorite Dish: We didn't have a meal, only coffee as it was mid-morning. Here is my journal entry:

"We kept on until the rain and wind became too much for us. Sought a dry table at Balmoral on Kaai (the canal street) where we ordered coffee, hot chocolate and (we thought) two appel beignets. When they arrived, we each had four appel beignets on a plate. I ate all mine; Ed could only down three. They were hot, fresh and delicious . . . and very filling. We gave up the idea of lunch."

They were more what I would consider an apple fritter and were dusted with confectioners sugar. They obviously had just been made and were hot and delicious, perfect for a cold, rainy day!

Check the web site below for photos and prices. Great location!

Instant Answers: Sluis

Comments

Sluis Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sluis restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sluis sightseeing.