Delft Restaurants

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

De Ruif: Great Eetcafé

by pieter_jan_v Updated Feb 12, 2008

De Ruif - Delft

De Ruif is a cazy bar where you can enjoy a great meal at low cost.
    Housed in a centuries old building next to one of the old canals it's a great setting just North of the Market.

Great place to just have a drink, talk or enjoy a lunch or dinner.

Favorite Dish: Starter: Uibui (French onion soup)

Main course: The day's special; in my case Varkenshaas met spek

Dessert: Schroeischade (Crème brûlée, melon & Ice)

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Pizzeria Dennis: Excellent Pizza's and Middle Eastern Food

by roraimabrasil Written Aug 12, 2007

Entrance to Pizzeria Dennis, Nieuwstraat 8, Delft

Ok, I cheat, I am a local (although not born here). But is my experience that locals often know where to get the best food for the least amount of change. Since the rise of the euro vs the us dollar, europe in general has become more expensive than before. Especially in Holland (the Netherlands) where prices for food and drink have more than doubled since the introduction of the euro.

Now for the restaurant, Pizzeria Dennis is a small restaurant which for many years has catered to students and locals alike. They serve very good (american style) pizza's and middle eastern dishes in the Nieuwstraat 8 in the centre of Delft. The place only has 24 seats and takes no reservations but service is quick and friendly. If you are in a hurry or you don't want to leave your hotel, the do deliver. You can also phone ahead and pickup your dish if you want to.

Portions of the middle eastern dishes like kebab, shoarma (lamb) or mixed grill are large, more than enough for one person. Prices are 5-7.50 euros for a pizza ($6-9 USD) although for delivery they charge more. Owner speaks multiple languages and can be found almost any day in the restaurant, and will help you himself if he has time.

The restaurant is open 7 days a week from 4.00 pm until 10.pm, delivery until 9.30pm.

Recently the website was re-opened at http://www.pizzadennis.nl/ where you can get a taste of things to come and play a game while you wait for your pizza to be delivered.

Favorite Dish: It has to be Pizza Dennis, a pizza with so many toppings you loose track of the amount that is actually on the pizza.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo

Hema: great cakes

by margaretvn Written Jan 28, 2007

OK I know the Hema is your average department store nothing special but their bakers are great and in the restaurants from the store you can get tasty cakes and good coffee. I love their "appelbollen" - a whole (cored) apple baked in a fluffy sugar coated pastry.

Favorite Dish: love their hazelnut coffee and of course the appelbol

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Het Wapen Van Delft: POFFERTJES

by RoyJava Updated Dec 28, 2006

poffertjes-house-delft

Just try the famous (oud-hollands) old-Dutch "poffertjes" which you can find in Holland all around in the "Poffertjes-houses". Some beautify the streetscape in special booths where "poffertjes" are sold and really are look-alikes of the Hansel & Gretel house out of the Brothers Grimm fairytales. But this "Poffertjes-house" got famous because of one specificly important VIP, that is Mister President Bill Clinton!

People working here are so busy they didnot look surprised when Mister President walked in for some "poffertjes". Still a photograph of him decorates the place and a special tile got created to let the people know Mr. President of the USA was here ...

Favorite Dish: "Poffertjes" is the name for a delicacy which are buttered and sugared tiny little pancakes. In this market stall you can get more typically Dutch food, like thick pea-soup and bean-soup, bread and sausages and "poffertjes".

• Hiking and Walking

Leonidas (lunch and tea room): Coffee and Cakes

by gordonilla Updated May 30, 2006

Leonidas 1

The coffee shop was very pleasant, the staff were friendly and professional and the cakes and coffee were excellent.

The cafe was busy and seemed to have a very interesting buzz about the place.

There is a garden terrace at the rear of the building.

Opening hours are Monday to Saturday - 09.00 to 18.00

• nada.c's Profile Photo

Vermeer

by nada.c Updated May 13, 2006

This is one thematic restaurant. So, if you like Vermeer that it is the right place for you. Atmosphere and everithing is like in the past time. And Vermeer is all around. Only one thing I didnt like. On the wall besides reproductions of all gorgeus arts is a photo of Bill Clinton. Politicians at all, are not my favorite!

Buenos Aires: Argentina in the heart of Delft

by gordonilla Written Jan 22, 2006

Buenos Aires - Argentijns Steakhouse

This is a wonderful place to visit if you are a meat eater. There was an excellent range of steaks to choose from, and the beef is imported from South America. The decor is fairly original looking, and the staff are professional and very polite.

The restaurant is open daily from 17:00 - 23:00

Favorite Dish: As an Argentinian Stealkhouse - I can recommened any of the steaks they sell. In addition I would commend you to have "Postres de la Casa" - a delight and lots of it.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Restaurant De Prinsenkelder: Pleasant and relaxing, yet sophisticated!

by gordonilla Written Jan 22, 2006

This was a rather plush and quite expensive restaurant. It was located in School Straat, a few seconds walk from the Oldest Canal in Delft. There are two parts to the restauarnt, and we ate in the cellar type area. It is very clean and has an excellent menu.

At the time of writing, the hours of opening seemed a little unusual -

LUNCH: 12.00 - 14.30

DINNER: 18.00 - 21.30

Favorite Dish: The desserts are wonderful.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Redjeki - Indonesisch Toko & Restaurant: A taste of Indonesia...in the Netherlands

by gordonilla Written Jan 21, 2006

The restaurant was one of several that can be found in the old town area of the City of Delft. It was recommended to my colleagues any I by ytwo seperate citizens of Delft.

The decor is unusual but when your within the restaurant, you can clearly see that the influence of the far east is present. The staff are friendly, pleasant, do speak English and are knowledgable about their menu.

Please note, this restaurant along with others in Delft does not have a non smoking section but they will try and accommodate your needs if at all possible.

Favorite Dish: try the chicken satay it is wonderful; nice coffee and desserts.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Grand Cafe: People Watching Near Market Square

by Rixie Written Dec 31, 2005

We lunched at the Grand Café, just off the Market Square, and had really delicious pistolettes (sandwiches on round, fresh rolls). Mine was pâté -- so yummy and light, without the gaminess you sometimes get with liverwurst. Two of us had the onion soup, and one had the tomato soup. I sampled both, so I can attest that they were equally tasty.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Stads-Koffyhuis: Dutch pancakes

by robertgaz Written Nov 10, 2005

The waiter must've taken this as no one is missing

Holland is famous for pancakes and you will find a Pannenkoekhuis (Pancake House) in almost any town around the Netherlands. The varieties are limited only by your your imagination.

Favorite Dish: My favourite is a delicious pancake topped with crispy fried bacon, pineapple, grated Dutch cheese and drizzled with golden syrup.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

WAPEN VAN DELFT: MARKET SQUARE

by LoriPori Written Sep 17, 2005

Terrace Sign

Lunch time. What shall we have. Since we were all in the mood for pancakes ( pannenkoeken ) we went towards the Market Square, spotted the WAPEN VAN DELFT an open terrace restaurant, sat down and ordered our pancakes. Hans and Vincent ordered pancakes with pineapple ( Pannenkoeken met Ananas ) @ E6.60 per stuk ( apiece) and I ordered poffertjes met aarobei (poffertjes with strawberries ) @ E5.75. We were all quite content as we got a big plate full.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

KOBUS KUCH: NEAR THE BEESTENMARKT

by LoriPori Written Sep 17, 2005

Vince at the Kobus Kuch

After walking around the charming centrum of Delft, Hans, Vincent and I decided we would stop at the Beestenmarkt where the KOBUS KUCH was located and have ourselves a coffee. I told Vincent that they had THE best appeltaart I have ever tasted, so that's what we did. Not only did we have appeltaart, but we also added slag ( cream ). Naughty, but oh sooooo good.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

La Cantina: Good "Fajitas", as for the rest...

by rsilva Updated Aug 27, 2005

The interior

I had visited this place some years ago, but since I don't go to Delft very often, I had never gone back.
    My mother was visiting and she felt like having some Mexican food, so I took her here (I haven't found a good Mexican in Leiden, where I live, yet).
    Two of us had the "fajitas" that were quite good (although I would have liked some more meat), but the others had Tacos, Enchiladas and Quesadilla... all were quite bad. They seemed like they were already prepared (deep-frozen?) and the taste was not good at all. On top of that, both people that had this dish felt bad afterwards, my sister actually could not sleep and threw up a few times during the night...

We had four waiters during the evening: two men who were very friendly and nice and two ladies who were quite unpolite or even a bit rude. One of them tried to push the "fajitas board" through me, i.e., she was pushing it against my side and back (I was talking and looking the other way) without asking me to move and even looking quite upset on top of that. We also asked for another beer to which we got a very rude "WHAT KIND???" as a reply. So I guess you can be lucky and have only good service, we were not.

The place looks a bit touristy, which is OK with me if the food is good, but I really can only recommend the fajitas, everything else was quite bad. Even the sodas (7up, Cola) tasted awful.

At 14-20 Eur per main course it is not cheap, but it is not too expensive either.

In case you want to try this place, make sure you stick to the fajitas...

If you understand Dutch, take a look at the webpage and read the Guestbook, one person says he saw the kitchen and immediately ran away...

• hat53's Profile Photo

De Waag (The café, Downstairs): Dining and drinking in style

by hat53 Written Aug 20, 2005

The interior

The waag has a Grand café and a restaurant. This tip is about eating downstairs, in the Grand Café.

It has a great ambiance, the old scale which was used to weigh the goods and maybe witches? It was build in 1200 AD.

There are several levels in the café that makes it feel smaller than it really is.

Favorite Dish: Menu changes on a daily base.

Main courses are € 14,50 dessert € 5,00 (8-2005). Good house wine.

Also open for lunch and a big terrace out front.

Instant Answers: Delft

Comments

Delft Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Delft restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Delft sightseeing.