The Armamentarium or armoury was built between 1601 and 1602 as a major storage facility for weapons, ammunition and all other sort of military equipment. It has been enlarged and altered several times since. After the last restoration in 1981-1989 it has housed the national military museum. Inside is a big collection of weapons, from old swords to modern tanks.
History of this huge block started in 1601, when war against Spanish rule was tearing the Lowlands apart. The provinces of Holland needed arsenals and weapons storage buildings and the important town of Delft should certainly get one. It even got the central position within the storage of weapons throughout the new and still rebelious Republic. After the independance was won, the building was expanding with guards houses and a smith's workshop. In these days the function is different, yet holds some similarities. The weapons are still there, though now shown to the visitors of the "Legermuseum" (Army Museum). It has a exposition of ancient weapons and military costumes as well as roulating expositions of various actual items.