The current town hall was built in 1620 by H. de Keyser. His constrcutions surrounded the original 13th century tower which had been constructed by Het Steen.
The building is now a popular place for young couples to get married.
Besides the high Nieuwe Kerk-tower, the most remarkable building here on the Markt (market square) is the town hall. Already in the 13th century when this place was property of the Count of Holland, a central court stood here. In 1435 the place (including the market square, cam in the hands of the city of Delft and a town hall was created within the excisting complex. Due to constant expensions the town hall became a block around the significant old tower, that used to be the prison. During the cityfire of 1536 the town hall burnt down. It was restored, but modernized and larger. Further construction in the 16th century lead to the magnificent building that we see today. In 1618 the town hall again burnt down to the ground, leaving only the central tower somewhat damaged. Several architects made designs for a new town hall and eventually Hendrick de Keyser was choosen. His plans used the old tower again and surrounded it with the vast building that is beautifully decorated and has many windows. It was finished in 1620.
The tower, beautifully decorated with the siogns of Holland and Delft (coat of arms)was nicknamed "Het Steen" (The Stone), because beside the Old Church, it was the first stone (brick) building in medieval Delft. Halfway the tower a little platform was made from where news was brought (cried out) to the people. In later times the clockwork and carillon were added and the interior of the buildings surrounding the tower became furnished. Especially the city council room is still today a wonderful sight to see. Inside the tower there is still a small museum about the prison function of the tower and it's history.
The City Hall is one of the most beautifully decorated buildings in Delft. You'll find it at the same square of the New Church. It was built in the early 17th century. It was designed by the Dutch architect De Keyser. Some of the parts of this building even date back to 13th century. You can visit one of the rooms on weekdays between 8 and 4:30.
This is one of the most inescapable buildings in all of Delft and should not be missed. In the 13th century, when this place was the property of the Count of Holland, a central court stood here. In 1435 the whole area, including the market square, came into the hands of the city of Delft and a town hall was created within the existing complex. Due to constant expansion the town hall evolved around the old tower that used to be the prison.
During a destructive fire of 1536 the town hall burnt down. Though restored to some degree it was modernized and increased in size. Further construction in the 16th century led to the shape of the general shape of magnificent building that we see today. In 1618 the town hall again burnt to the ground, leaving only the central tower slightly damaged. Several architects made designs for a new town hall and eventually Hendrick de Keyser was choosen. His plans used the old tower again and surrounded it with the vast building that is beautifully decorated and has many windows. It was finished in 1620.
One thing you can clearly see, especially in pic 3, is where the town crier used to stand to deliver messages from the little balcony on the first floor.
Except for a tower called Het Nieuwe Steen, the town hall burnt down in the early 17th century. The building was replaced by a design presented by the architect Hendrick de Keyser. The present day façade of the building has been restored to this 17th century vision.
This beautiful building is a historical and, royal heritage out of the Middle Ages. Its history tells the association with the Royal Court, a former prison tower out of the 13th century, the market place and the Old Church ...
It is the medieval Delft Town Hall (Stadhuis) that was built in brick, finally finished by the popular architect Hendrick de Keyser around 1619. The beauty of the delicacy and almost balanced symmetry got famous. Even some modernizations and changes could not take away its beauty or diminish its importance in history ...
While we did not visit the interior of the town hall, we did enjoy it from the market grounds with our beer and coffee. Much, or rather most of the original buildling was burnt down and then later rebuilt, you can find out more at the website I have added.
The town hall is one of the most beautiful buildings in Delft. It was built between 1618 and 1620 by Hendrik de Keyser using parts of a former town hall. The tower (het steen) is from the 13th century and is said to be a prison in former times. The front of the building, showing the coat of arms of the province of Holland, is an outstanding example for the dutch architecture in the golden age.
If you want to make nice photos, avoid thursdays as this is the market day.
As far as I know, the only chance to visit the tower is with a tour of the gidsenservice (see below). Anyway, I can't tell you if it is worth a visit or not (perhaps more infos next year :) )
The town hall was designed by Hendrick de Keyser using bits from the former court of the count of Holland that stood at this location, most notably its tower. The rest of the building, built between 1618 and 1620, is a vdery nice example of Manneristic architecture, and has a richly decorated front.
Hotel de Emauspoort Delft
2 Reviews and 214 Opinions It is a unusual hotel with a location in the middle of the town, and it has a very nice accomadation...
WestCord Hotel Delft Delft
1 Review and 62 Opinions Conveniet to find, as it is situated next to the motorway/highway and IKEA. Do go and search the...