Delft Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Delft

• Chiliweenie's Profile Photo

Late Night Hooligans

by Chiliweenie Updated Mar 16, 2004

As I lay in limbo one night, I heard the crash of glass breaking, praying it wasn't the windshield of my car parked next to the outside canal on the street below. On a walk earlier in the day I saw broken car glass on the sidewalk and wondered if it was a reoccuring theme in this seemgly Payton Place.
    The next morning, we walked past the Indian Restaurant where we had dinner the night before and noticed windows smashed. Obviously, ethnic groups have recently become targets in Holland. Its unfortunate to see the Dutch (just a few of course) take such severe measures when they are thought to be some of the most open minded and liberal people on the face of the planet. With the 9/11 and March 11 bombings, it is apparent, the world is becoming more and more divided by ethnic origins, based on a few extremists. It was sad to see this restaurants windows broken and the fear that it put into the hearts of people who fled to Holland to seek refuge from such activity.

• Business Travel
    • Architecture

• Enjoy the local apple and SALIVA donuts!!!

by emoscambio Written Jan 15, 2003

Looking down into the cellar of a famous posh bakery located on the main place of the town ("markt"), me and my family witnessed the talents of the baker in preparing those local apple fritters or donuts called "appelflap", and consisting of an apple ring between two discs of dough. This experienced man (aged about 50) used neither his baking tools nor his hands to this purpose, but... his mouth!

We were quite amazed to see him licking the edges of the discs of dough and to crimp very elegantly the discs together with his teeth and lips, thus using his saliva as a kind of glue. I find it as shocking as disgusting.

Unfortunately, this says a lot about the local conception of hygiene and food, as well as about the respect of customers.

• Enjoy the local apple and SALIVA donuts!!! 2

by Maschatje Written Oct 19, 2004

I'm a girl from Delft and I can assure you that this says nothing about local conception of hygiene and food, but more about the bakery. Fortunately the bakery doesn't exist anymore. It's now a branche of Subways. Enjoy your food in Delft!

Instant Answers: Delft

Comments

Delft Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Delft warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Delft sightseeing.