Hoek van Holland Favorites

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Hoek of Holland

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 24, 2012

Maas at Hoek of Holland

Favorite thing: Hook of Holland - literally "Corner of Holland", also known as the Hook (De Hoek), is a town in the western Netherlands. It is situated on the North Sea coast, on the north bank of the Nieuwe Waterweg ship canal. The town is administered by the municipality of Rotterdam as a district of that city.
    I was there in December of 1995 when we saw the Maaslantkering. It is a storm surge barrier in the Nieuwe Waterweg waterway located between the towns of Hoek van Holland and Maassluis which automatically closes when needed. It is part of the Delta Works and it is one of largest moving structures on Earth.

You can watch my 3 min 53 sec Video Hoek van Holland Maas lantkering out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Walk through the dunes...

by mafootje Written Jul 23, 2004

Bunker in the dunes

Favorite thing: Beside that a walk to the dunes can be very relaxing, it is also a place where you can find a bit of history.

At many places you can find bunkers which reminds you to times of war. Because the "Waterweg" was an important gateway to Rotterdam and the Netherlands you will see bunkers meant to protect this gateway.

Picture taken august 6, 2003

• Trains

Beach Power

by RoyJava Updated Oct 17, 2007

beach-hoek-van-holland

Favorite thing: It is said Hoek van Holland should be a beach resort only for locals and people around Hoek van Holland, like from Rotterdam, Monster, Ter Heijde etc. Could be true, still we enjoy the special power of this Hoek van Holland beach!

Maybe not yet a trendy beach resort like Noordwijk and Scheveningen but Hoek van Holland is a lovely beach resort with all kind of sports and events. And little by little the place is growing to a bigger and more modern hot spot.

Fondest memory: I just do love the beach and the view to the North Sea. Some times it can be very quiet, in the week-ends crowded like disco, still there is plenty of space! I enjoy visiting Hoek van Holland just before and after the high season, when daytime ... and when evening falls.

• Adventure Travel

Hoek van Holland Sunset

by RoyJava Updated Oct 17, 2007

sunset-hoek-van-holland

Favorite thing: Anywhere in the world the sunset-time is magical and mysterious.

Most people enjoy these stunning moments of their holidays, their free time or just moment of peace and silence.

When evenings falls in Hoek van Holland that is not much different from other places.

Fondest memory: I can sit down on the beach, enjoy the peace and silence and watch the sunsets.

It is like the sun is going down in the North Sea and that is a moment of stunning thrills.

It is because of the New Waterway, too,... I know.

All is moving ... thanks to the river- and oceanwater!

• Adventure Travel

Saying Goodbye

by RoyJava Written Oct 17, 2007

goodbye-hoek-van-holland

Favorite thing: I am not that fond of saying "goodbye" and "until we meet again" ...

And that very "goodbye" feeling I always get when on places where people do say these things and know they are leaving their beloveds for longer time.

Like on railway stations, in the airports, and ... at the harbours or at a small port.

Fondest memory: Maybe because I had to leave my place of birth, my native country, my childhood ... *kidding* ...

In Hoek van Holland that feeling is always on my mind.

Sometimes it is sad, sometimes it is happy ...

And when I leave I always say "goodbye" to the ocean, the beach, the canal ...

Goodby Hoek van Holland, until we meet again!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

A Tasty Trio!

by johngayton Written Nov 26, 2013

Favorite thing: One of the minor pleasures I get from my Netherlands visits are the cheap tarts. Even the smallest of towns will have somewhere warm and cosy where they can be enjoyed.

Here in the Hoek I was spoiled for choice with three temptresses all on the same street. They looked good, smelled good and were suitably inexpensive but I managed to discipline myself and merely window shopped.

Just as an aside: The difference between a pie and a tart? - Tarts go topless. The difference between a tart and a torte? - Tortes show it all off.

Here's the pics anyway -

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Hoek van Holland

Comments

Hoek van Holland Favorites

Reviews and photos of Hoek van Holland favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hoek van Holland sightseeing.

View all Hoek van Holland hotels