Leiden Restaurants

The super sandwich
    Exterior
    Interior

Most Recent Restaurants in Leiden

• Establissement Einstein: Einstein: Disappointing.

by shannsey Updated Apr 10, 2011

My partner and I had been interested in trying this popular locale for some time. We waited for a sunny day and decided to have lunch on the terrace. We both ended up ordering the "Einstein burger," which promised to be piled high with delicious toppings. We requested our burgers be cooked medium or medium-rare, but the waitress said the kitchen could only cook them one way. Alright; there are worse things than a well-done burger. Like something that is not a burger at all?

Nice, crusty bread and tasty toppings concealed something that resembled a burger patty only in shape: it lacked the colour of cooked ground beef and had a taste that marked its origins as frozen. (We later found them as a box of 10 for 2 euros in the supermarket.) My Dutch partner was familiar with this meat and dutifully, if disappointedly, consumed half his burger. However, we both noticed that they probably spent much more money and time on the lovely side salad than the supposed burger.

We also had bitterballen, which were okay, as was the service and atmosphere. But we will never eat here again. I wish the waitress had alerted us to what made the Einstein "burger" so unusual, especially when our desire for a typical burger was crystal clear. Wish we had ordered the carpaccio!

Favorite Dish: n/a

• Establissement Einstein: Einstein: Disappointing.

by shannsey Written Apr 10, 2011

Nice, crusty bread and tasty toppings concealed something that resembled a burger patty only in shape: it was not composed of ground beef, lacked the colour of cooked ground beef, and had a taste that marked its origins as frozen. (We later found them as a box of 10 for 2 euros in the supermarket.) My Dutch partner was more familiar with this meat and dutifully, if disappointedly, consumed half his burger. However, we both noticed that they most likely spent much more money and time on the lovely side salad than the supposed burger.

We also had bitterballen, which were alright, as was the service and atmosphere. But we will never eat here again. I wish the waitress had alerted us to what made the Einstein "burger" so unusual, especially when our desire for a typical burger was crystal clear. Wish we had ordered the carpaccio!

Favorite Dish: n/a

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Johann: The only Austrian restaurant in Leiden :)

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

I must admit that I am not very knowledgeable on Austrian food and apart from the Schnitzel and the Apfelstrudel I cannot name another traditional dish (well, I guess knowing two is more than I can say for some other countries).

This place is decorated in a "traditional" way, but I think it looks a bit fake. It is quite large, so there is place for a large group. Waitresses are also dressed in traditional clothes, whether that is a good thing, I leave up to you.

As for the food, it was good. I had the Schnitzel and it was quite tender and tasty. One of the problems with this restaurant is that there is quite a limited selection on the menu, so either you really like the Schnitzel, or you risk running out of options pretty soon.
    My dessert was not very good, I had the Heisse Liebe, which is supposed to be vanilla icecream covered in coconut, but they forgot the coconut...
    My friend had the Strudel and quite liked it.

Service was very friendly, but it took forever to get the food. We were served by two waitresses and one was really nice and the other not really. The nice waitress later told us that there had been a problem in the kitchen and that was why it took so long to get our order.

A full meal with dessert and drinks will cost 18-20 Eur

Frezza: Mediterranean food

OUTDATED: This restaurant has closed. Keeping for historical purposes only

This is a restaurant that aims at a Mediterranean look and feel, with a light blue decoration and a "summer" theme.

My first impression after ordering drinks was not very good. I had ordered a drink with ice, but I got an empty glass along with the bottle. When I asked for ice again, I was told "the drink is already cold", but I insisted that I would still like to have ice. The waiter reluctantly went to get some and came back with one(!) ice cube...

However, after that service was not to bad, so I guess I will just put them in the "too-cheap-for-ice but otherwise good service" category.

In this restaurant all plates are "slight larger than a starter, but smaller than a main course" and are all priced the same (last time it was Eur 7.75) no matter if they are a starter, main or dessert. We had 6 portions in total (1 starter and 2 mains) and we could have stopped at the second course. This way we had to skip dessert, but I guess 3 courses should be more than enough for the average person.

As for the food, presentation was generally very nice and the quality varied from good to very good (the tuna was probably the best I have had). I feel that some courses are better value for money than other, considering they all cost the same.

I just checked the website and found that they have completely renewed the menu, which is bad because the tune has gone missing, but good because there are many other dishes I will try next time. If this menu rotation is regular, this is a great change from the usually static menus of Leiden restaurants.

It is a great place to go with some friends with whom you can share dishes.

A very nice touch were the crayons on each table that allowed you to scribble on the paper table covers while you were waiting for the food.

I will definitely go back and I might even ask for two ice cubes next time :)

Favorite Dish: I had a great Tuna with garlic rice. Cooked to perfection, the fish was just slightly cooked, pink in the middle but warm right through! I had to have it twice.
    The cataplana (fish and seafood) was also very good, but I was slightly disappointed with the swordfish, which although not bad, was not in the same league as the tuna.

As mentioned above, the menu has changed completely since my last visit, so dish recommendations are not very useful.

Kwebbelen: A nice surprise

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

I had passed by this restaurant several times and had always beeen curious about it. A few weeks ago, we gave it a try.

It is a typical Dutch-style restaurant, wooden walls and furniture with a friendly athmosphere. The only (minor) complaint is that it was VERY warm when we arrived, but as people started leaving it was perfect.

The menu is quite varied and original, the names of the dishes are also quite unusual as, for instance "Smoking Robinson" (smoked salmon), "Silence of the Lambs" or "Jack the Spare Ribber". A bit silly, but funny nevertheless.

The food is actually very good. I particularly liked the Salmon with saffron rice and the beef (kogelbiefstuk) was also great.

Service was very good, waitresses were efficent and friendly. It was funny to find out that our waitress was actually Portuguese :).

Desserts were also quite good and value for money is very good. Main courses range from 11 to about 16 Eur and the portions are large enough to leave me satisfied.

Update:
    We have been to this restaurant several times since I originally wrote this tip and can confirm that it is still a very nice place to go to. I added a few dishes the "favourites". Service is still very good and so is the food.

Favorite Dish: The Rib-eye was excellent (although you should really not eat it if you don't like medium-rare meat - it is a waste)
    The Ossenhaas (filet) was also excellent and both this dish and the rib-eye were very large, so an excellent choice for hungry meat-lovers.

Salmon with saffron rice
    "Kogelbiefstuk" steak
    Veal steak

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Jill's: Restaurant or Brasserie?

Jills

Restaurant or Brasserie? That is usually the main question when we have to go to Jill's.
    It is not one, but actually two restaurants right in front of each other. One is a "restaurant" while the other is the "brasserie". I don't know what the difference is supposed to be, just that the restaurant is bigger and often has live piano music, but the brasserie, being smaller is a cozier place. I usually go for the brasserie.

When I moved to the Netherlands, I lived in a hotel for 1 1/2 months while looking for a house, meaning that I had to eat out every day. A few of my colleagues were in the same situation, so we made it a tradition to go eat at Jill’s each Wednesday. I was never disappointed. Of course, you have to deal with the almost never changing menu’s (very common here), but if quality is good, who cares?

Everything (food) is good here and the atmosphere is friendly. Both places are dark, candle-lit (don't worry, it is not full of couples on romantic dates) and quite nice to look at. Service is friendly and efficient.

Do call and make a reservation as it is usually impossible to get a table otherwise (I have tried at least 4-5 times, unsuccessfully).

This place also exists in Den Haag, Den Bosch, Delft and Haarlem, but I have never been to any of them.

Favorite Dish: The carpaccio is quite famous. Although it is not the "real" Italian version, it is very good and comes with a nice (secret recipe) sauce/dressing that you can buy to take home. Even Italians like it!

My favorite main course is the Irish steak, which is just a piece of meat filled with homemade herb cheese. Quite delicious. The turkey tournedos are not bad either. (These are from the brasserie).

El Gaucho: Meat excellence

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

Argentinean restaurants are usually well known for their excellent meat and this one is actually better than most.

I would not bother trying anything else than the excellent steaks, especially the fillet (lomo). There is also the "parrillada mixta", which is a mix of meat (beef, lamb, chorizo, etc) served in a little coal grill, so you can finish cooking it at the table - neat.

I can even forgive the fact you get deep-fried French fries with it.

It is quite expensive. I hesitated about putting it the "most expensive category" as there are still a few more expensive than this one, but expect to pay 35-40 Eur for a full meal.

Take a look at this site to understand the differences between Argentinean and American cuts of meat:

Favorite Dish: Meat - any, specially the "lomo"

Oudt Leyden: Dutch food

Oudt Leyden

I often ask my Dutch friends and colleagues what traditional Dutch food is and most cannot really give me a good example: maybe the stamppot (mashed potatoes mixed with vegetable, etc) or just a steak. However, they all seem to agree that the pancakes are quite traditional.

This place is the best pancake house in Leiden, in my opinion. There are two other places, one next door, the other across the square, but I don’t like the quality of the pancakes in one and the service in the other (although the pancake was not great either).

Oudt Leyden consistently serves good pancakes. You can also get other things like steaks, but I would not recommend it, not that they are not good, just that you really should taste the pancakes here. They are all served on huge traditional Delft plates (blue and white) and are usually more than one can eat. You can have sweet ones or salted. They are all great.

Favorite Dish: I particularly like the "Vitello Tonato", a pancake with thin slices of veal, tunafish and capers (and a lot of oninons I usually ask to remove).

M'n broer: La Bota's big Brother

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place belongs to the same person as "La Bota" and a couple of other restaurants. They apparently share kitchen with (La Bota is separate, but the other 2-3 share).

It looks very nice, all wooden interiors, but superior service and food. Obviously, it is also slightly more expensive (not much, though)

There is a daily (or weekly) dish that is usually very good, but everything on the menu seems to be good anyway (I've been there a few times).

They only take reservation for 6 or more people.

De Brasserie: Nice Sandwishes/salads

by rsilva Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place serves some nice sandwiches and salads.

Service can be a bit disappointing, but it is a great spot for a snack after shopping.

You can also have a warm meal, but I have never tried it.

Favorite Dish: The BLT sandwish and the Avocado salad.

Wessels: Was my favourite place

by rsilva Updated Dec 3, 2010

I decided to remove my tip and recommendation for this restaurant after an unpleasant experience some time ago.

We were not treated properly and the owners did not care about it when we explained it to them.

Camino Real: Take your time

by rsilva Updated Dec 3, 2010

Dinner at Camino Real

OUTDATED: This restaurant has closed. Keeping for historical purposes only

What I like about this place is its decor which is quite modern and (in my opinion) stylish and obviously the food.

One problem with Dutch restaurants is that most never change the food on the menu. Usually it will take about 2-3 years before it happens (sometimes it just does not change at all). However, if the food is good and you go only once in a while, it is OK with me. This place actually seems to change on a regular basis. Every time I go, they offer some new courses, not that it matters very much because I almost always eat the same...

This is not the cheapest place you will find, but it is not the most expensive either.
    Service is usually good and waiters are polite.

Do take in mind that the specials require a long time to prepare, so expect so spend most of the evening there - in my opinion it is worth it.

Favorite Dish: The recommended courses are the "Nori Maki à la mode de Camino Real" which is a plate of raw fish and seafood that you cook yourself at the table. I absolutely love that!
    The other one is the "Mongoolse Steamboat", which is a plate of raw meat that you cook in a broth that comes in a strange copper thing that is heated using glowing coal.

What we usually do is to go with another couple and have one of each of the abovementioned (min. 2 people). It also comes with some nice sauces and a fruit of vegetables and tropical fruit (see picture)

Should they bring back the chocolate cake with red pepper, it would be foolish not to try it. It is delicious.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

La Bota: Good good, fine service, no fuss

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Feb 22, 2009

La Bota is a small but very busy restaurant. It has been in service for over 25 years and hasn't changed a bit. Visited by students, families, singles and dates. The quality is usually good - sometimes average - and the service is friendly and fast. Most of the time it is very crowded, so better come early or late. In summer time there is a small patio outside. Reservations start from 6 persons. Not for people who want to sit and enjoy the food, so typical Dutch.

Favorite Dish: The day dish is usually good and cheap. I most of the time have the entrecote (as does the service staff, I've been told).

• jeoren's Profile Photo

Pannenkoekenhuis Pannenkoekenhuisch: Pannenkoekenhuis Pannenkoekenhuisch

by jeoren Written Sep 22, 2008

For pancakes one could not miss this Pancakerestaurant next to the Mc Donalds on the main square in the city along the Rapenburgcanal. But don't try to order your dish here. The service is very bad. The food might be good, but the service is horrible. Waiting and waiting for not only the pancake, but also the drinks you order are just recorded by the waiters only for notification.

Favorite Dish: Pancake with apple.

• ericrijnsburger's Profile Photo

Tante Jans: Typically small dutch restaurant, good price

by ericrijnsburger Written Mar 9, 2008

When you walk into this small restaurant, it feels you walk into a dutch household.
    You can have a three courses meal for 17 euro.
    The restaurant is open from wednesday to sunday.

Favorite Dish: Three courses change every month. These are always very nice!
    Spareribs are great!

Instant Answers: Leiden

Comments

Leiden Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Leiden restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leiden sightseeing.