Port of RotterdamRotterdam...
Port of Rotterdam
Rotterdam is the largest port in the world, both in terms of length (40 kilometres) and tonnage of goods handled (over 130 million tons a year). The port is traditionally strong in crude oil, ore and crap; Rotterdam is also the largest container port in Europe and the fourth largest in the world. Each year, more than 30,000 ocean-going ships and 140,000 river barges pass through Rotterdam. The port as a whole contributes 2.3% to the Netherlands’ Gross National Product.
The Nieuwe Maas River is Rotterdam’s lifeline. A permanent procession of ships and barges ploughs back and forth through the heart of the city, heading for the North Sea to the west or the European hinterland to the east. The river has fed the city for more than 700 years and has made Rotterdam the world’s largest port.
Because the port of Rotterdam is characteristic for the city, there are a lot events that focus on the harbour and the water. Like there is the World Harbour Festival, the Waterstadsbus, the Water-Palace, the Spido and so on.
Behind the scenes
Take a "behind the scenes" tour in Blijdorp Zoo.
You have to reserve, but it's free off extra charge except for the regular admission price.Related to:
Visit town nearby Rotterdam....
Visit town nearby Rotterdam. You can for example go to Delft. You will find more about this pretty town in my TRAVELLOGUE!
Also Delfshaven lays not very...
Also Delfshaven lays not very far away from Rotterdam. The little harbourtown is certainly worth seeing. You can find out more about it in my TRAVELLOGUE!
Ouderwater, a nice small town...
Ouderwater, a nice small town to stay, in the centre of a country that is enough big. As it stays in the meddle... it was a 'base' for us to go to all the country.
The monument showing the...
The monument showing the lowest part of The Netherlands ..... 6.5 metres BELOW sea level. Its not far from where we live.
This Hotel is the right place for romantic people who like its "old fashioned" style, the relaxed...more
The Rotterdam Hiltion Hotel is modern high class hotel located at the heart of the town at the...more
Right opposite Rotterdam Centraal train station on Weena, is the imposing 5 star Westin hotel. It...more
Latest Rotterdam Hotel Reviews
- NH Atlanta Rotterdam
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Hotel De Beer Europoort
- 1 Review
- Cruise Hotel
- Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- A Small Hotel
- 1 Review
- Tulip Inn Rotterdam
- Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Top Euro Hotel Centrum
- 1 Review
- Rotterdam Hilton
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Hotel Benelux
- Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Inntel Rotterdam Centre
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Explore the World
- Hastings Off The Beaten Path
- Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Off The Beaten Path
- Manila Off The Beaten Path
- South America Off The Beaten Path
- Porec Off The Beaten Path
- Bellingham Off The Beaten Path
- Statues / Murals / Memorials
- Hangouts and Bars
- Eureka Off The Beaten Path
- Barcelos Off The Beaten Path
- Chartres Off The Beaten Path
- Lebanon Off The Beaten Path