Know about this? Rate It!
BTW: ... you want to see the tallest windmills of the whole world? Go for a travel to Schiedam.
When in Rotterdam you donot need to go far away. Schiedam is between Rotterdam and Vlaardingen and it is really worth a while to visit the area of Schiedam.
There is a nice little centre, some beautiful canals (it is possible to cruise the Schiedam canals) and already mentioned ... the tallest windmills of the world! Just to be seen in the city of Schiedam!
The most popular is the "Walvisch", the oldest one is De Drie Koornbloemen and once there were 20 windmills.
There is more to do in Schiedam, so see my Schiedam VT Pages, thanks.
- Road Trip
- Adventure Travel
The Gedistilleerd museum - De gekroonde Brandersketel (the national Distillery Museum) gives a good explanation of the distilling process and the large range of Dutch genevers and liqueurs.
Lange haven 74 Schiedam
12.00 - 17.00 tuesday - saturday
12.30 - 17.00 sunday
- Family Travel
- Arts and Culture
- Museum Visits
Schiedam was granted its city charter in 1275 and grew rapidly as a centre for trade and fishing. It became the centre of the genever (Dutch gin) industry. This industry is still important today. Schiedam is famous for having the five tallest windmills in the world. The Nieuwe Palmboom windmill is open as a museum and if you visit at 12.00 on sunday you can go up with the miller and see how he put out the sails.
The windmills can be seen throughout the city.
- Historical Travel
- Family Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Archbald Hotels
- Tecumseh Hotels
- Sungai Kolok Hotels
- Kipahulu Hotels
- Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- Chiang Mai Off The Beaten Path
- South Dakota Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Berlin
- Dallas Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Pisa Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path