Chain restaurants, Rotterdam

3.5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

The fast food of McDonalds in Rotterdam.
    by Jerelis
  • Smullers shop in Rotterdam's centraal station
    Smullers shop in Rotterdam's centraal...
    by Airpunk
  • Chain restaurants
    by claire.c
  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

Smullers: Eten uit de muur

by Airpunk Written Feb 10, 2007

Smullers shop in Rotterdam's centraal station

Eten uit de muur (eat from the wall) is part of everyday culture in the Netherlands. While vending machines selling warm food have almost disappeared since the 1980s, they enjoy a high popularity there. The machines are filled with typical dutch snacks such as Kroket (meat croquettes with different fillings), kaassoufflé or frikandel (a kind of sausage without casing). Machines like this, usually stand next to a snack point and offer 24/7 warm food, even when the shop is closed. Smullers is – after FEBO – the second largest chain offering “eten uit de muur”. You will find a “Smullers” in Rotterdam’s central train station.

• Wenasje's Profile Photo

Gary's Muffins: For tasty bagels, muffins and...

by Wenasje Updated Jul 28, 2004

For tasty bagels, muffins and all types of coffee, go to: Gary's Muffins. It's located in a corner shop in the center of the city, near the Koopgoot. This is the only store in Rotterdam. There are other outlets in Amsterdam ( Prinsengracht 454 / Jodenbreestraat 15 / Marnixstraat 121/ Reguliersdwarsstraat 53 / Kalverstraat 185 / Kinkerstraat 140)

Favorite Dish: One of the bagels they have on the menu is a bagel with melted goat's cheese, honey and walnuts. I always love this combination. The brownie with white chocolate is very good too!!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo

A great place for a coffee or...

by margaretvn Written Aug 24, 2002

A great place for a coffee or a lunch, although you should try to avoid the office lunch times is

Gary's Muffins

They do a great selection of bagels, muffins, and drinks.

Favorite Dish: My favourite bagel is:
    Goat's cheese, honey and walnuts
    and their cappuccino is wonderful.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

McDonalds: A standard McDonald's, what else?

by Jerelis Written Jun 28, 2013
    The fast food of McDonalds in Rotterdam.

One of the tough things about traveling with young children (especially picky eaters) can be mealtime. It is stressful to eat every meal out, unfamiliar foods can be challenging, and long restaurant meals can eat into the time you'd like to spend seeing the sights (not to mention the fact that you want to spend some of that precious good behavior in a museum). But at some point during our hike in Rotterdam it was a safe bet my kids were going to get hungry and demanded to be fed.

I always look for restaurants that are relatively quick, interesting for the kids, and likely to have something that they will eat. When I can, I try to dine outdoors or in a space where there is something interesting for the kids to watch. Since I am a foody and want to have authentic food experiences, I tend to dine in local places rather than chains. So I can hear you all hear saying "Why the hell did he go to a McDonalds'?". You are correct that I am definitely not the fast food junk at all, I usually ignore the McDonald's everywhere I go. The McDonald's in Rotterdam was an exception ... and it's a standard McDonalds, what the heck should I say?

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Mc Donalds...: Good old

by nighthawk Updated Feb 20, 2003

I went to the McDonalds for a cuppa coffee, I usually do so because I almost know for certain the coffee will be to my liking.
    I do not like the food ..... but if I m here and feeling hungry I take the veggie burger.... somehow I do not trust the meat inhere.

Favorite Dish: COFFEE! double milk, no sugar, take out.

• Le Marché: Vroom and Dreesman

by claire.c Written Jul 15, 2003

Self service with wonderful vegetables fruit and salads to satisfy even the most demanding of vegetarians.

Favorite Dish: Their fruit drinks are out of this world