Katendrecht, Rotterdam

• Deli Bird, Thai food in Rotterdam-Katendrecht
    Deli Bird, Thai food in...
  • Deli Bird, Thai food in Rotterdam-Katendrecht
    Deli Bird, Thai food in...
  • Katendrecht
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Deli Bird: Good thai food

by ATLC Updated Oct 3, 2010

Deli Bird, Thai food in Rotterdam-Katendrecht

Industrial ambiance, white tables and chairs, a bit of bamboo and colour on the wall. One half is restaurant, the other half is takeaway.

The Katendrecht neighbourhood is being heavily upgraded. It used to be THE red light district of Rotterdam, a very busy place in the heart of the inner harbour.
    The SS Rotterdam is now permanently moored there and the old run down houses (charming, in my opinion) are now surrounded by upmarket houses.

Katendrecht is also home to one of the best (if not the) Chinese restaurant in Rotterdam: Wing Wah.

However, let's talk about Deli Bird!

Favorite Dish: The Deli Bird menu is the same as the takeaway menu.

Opening hours: Tuesday-Sunday 17.00 - 21.30 hrs.

We came in by the takeaway entrance and saw the open kitchen, neat and busy with Thai women cooking busily. We really were looking forward to a comforting spicy meal and we were not disappointed.

I had Tom yam nam gon, a creamy soup with seafood (mussels, squid and shrimp). A light soup with Thai basil. Medium hot to my taste.
    The Satay koeng (shrimp on a stick) was good too, sweet and spicy.

Then I had Kaeng kheaw whan, a spicy green curry with shrimp, Thai eggplant. My other half had the Phad bai krapau, string beans and peppers and beef.
    Noodles and rice on the side.

For dessert we had a funny combination of hot sticky pink rice, a slightly salty bright green coconut sauce and icecream on top. With a bit of fruit. It took a bit of getting used to but it wasn't by far bad.

With a few drinks each and coffee we paid 58 euro. Good price!

A main course is 9-13 euro, thereabouts. Which are really takeaway prices.

Instant Answers: Rotterdam