Posh dining, Rotterdam

• Posh dining
    by tan1415
  • Posh dining
    by Nighthawk2
  • Reading in the restaurant before the meal.
    Reading in the restaurant before the...
    by A2002
  • Parkheuvel: 2 stars , but still great with worldclass service

by tan1415 Updated Jun 1, 2013

Hi All,

Had dinner here recently. All my great dining experiences has a story to go with it. Same with this restaurant.It's s not a 3 star anymore, but 2 star. Reason is that there was a change of management and chefs.Lucky for us i guess.

The food is classic french/continental. As a table we were eating from a set menu. So not much variation amongst us.Sadly missing the signature dishes. We had the 5 course menu. Food was light and perfect for the spring. But not all dishes had the wow factor what you'd expect.But still tasty and very good.

What IMO set this restaurant apart is the service and ambiance.To me it's the best I ever had. No problem if you don't drink wine or even seem a bit out of place. Somehow they are able to work their magic and before you know it you are totally at ease and you can really enjoy everything. Had one of my best dining experiences here.

To me this is often considered a necessary evil. Like rude waiters in chinese restaurants or the tipwhores aka waiting staff in the usa. Look i understand they live of tips...but as a foreigner when you don't tip enough in their eyes...they let it be known. Putting even the rudest chinese waitstaff to shame.

I think this accessibility and service trumps everything else.As this is an travelsite. No pretentious or stuffy attitude. Nor the almost exaggerated friendliness found in America. If you want to enjoy french fine dining in the Netherlands...this restaurant comes highly recommended.I can guarantee that you will be completely at ease and enjoy your dining experience. Whether you are a gastronomic aficionado, a business man on an expense account or simply a tourist looking to experience European/french fine dining this place is a great start for you when in the Netherlands,

Favorite Dish: As we ate from a set menu, i dont think i tried any of its signature dishes.
    A few of the dishes missed the wow factor than you'd expect from a restaurant in this class.

I put a picture up of my favourite dish served. When they pt it on a table...we had to take a double take...because it looked like they placed a local speciality frikandel speciaal. Normally its a fried sausage type with mayonaise and ketchup/curry and onions ontop. Even the plate looked like it.

But in the end it was all a mirage created by the chef. Matter of fact it was aspragus with hallandaise and lobster sauce with ham and scallops. It tasted great and was great fun too.

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• A2002's Profile Photo

Brasserie Parkzicht.: Great food, great view, simply excellent.

by A2002 Updated Oct 26, 2003

Reading in the restaurant before the meal.

I like the ambience and the way the restaurant is decorated. When I enter the restaurant, it feels comfortable and nice. This restaurant occupies a building in the middle of the park. We found this restaurant when we were looking for the best angle to take a picture of the Euromast.
    The food is good too, and worth going.
    When we were there, we saw some people just go there for cuppa coffee in the afternoon.

Favorite Dish: I love calamari, and so I had deep fried calamari with mayonnaise. :-)
    Usually I eat deep fried calamari dipped in ketchup or chilli sauce. Mayonnaise dip for a change here. :-)

• Forze's Profile Photo

Posh dining: Parkheuvel

by Forze Written Jul 18, 2003

If you are not travelling on a tight budget and you love good restaurants, pay a visit to Parkheuvel, situated in Museumpark. This is the only 3-Michelin-star restaurant of Holland. The location is superb and if you like nice cars go see the valet of Parkheuvel.

• Wine Tasting

• Kozzmozz's Profile Photo

Parkheuvel: ***-Michelin restaurant, the best of The Netherlan

by Kozzmozz Written Oct 7, 2002

Best restaurant in The Netherlands, rated with ***-Michelin. Excellent quality, Haute French Cuisine, wines are the best. Chef Cees Helder is traditional, but his vision on modern French cuisine is original as well......
    Views are great, the harbour is at your feet. Located in one of the Rotterdam parcs, about 15 tables.

For 2 persons, wines included, it will cost you around US$ 250-300.

Favorite Dish: A la carte is very expensive, so I can recommend you to choose one of the menu-sets, from US$ 50 (Menu de Saison, 4 courses) till US$ 98 (Menu Parkheuvel, 7 courses). Wine-menus from US$ 40 and higher.

Instant Answers: Rotterdam