Schouwburgplein area, Rotterdam

• Schouwburgplein area
    by goingplaces
  • Schipper: French fries

by Seipie Written May 28, 2012

Somebody in the States tolt me About this store .
    Here they sell still homemade fries.
    You can see it while you waiting for your fries.
    The do the cutting of the fries it still by hand.
    THE tast is marvelous ,i never tastet fries like this.
    I had some mayo on THE fries , delicious!!
    THE also have fries with peanutbuttersauce,funny but vert. Tastfull.
    NeXT time when i go to THE Netherlands i Will visit this vert. Good (fast) food restaurant again.

Favorite Dish: fRENCH FRIES

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Schipper: Best fries in town

by ATLC Updated Jun 26, 2007

Rotterdam best fries

Best fries in town can be had at the stall on Schouwburgplein.
    Photo courtesy of VT member stefank60 who I hosted on his visit to Rotterdam in June 2007.
    I long wanted to make a tip for this but now that he made a photo of me, enjoying my fries, I've his permission to use the photo :-)

Favorite Dish: A bag of fries with mayonaise, or maybe a croquet. Well, it's fast food but definitely good fast food. Enjoy it on a bench on the square and do some people watching while you eat :-)

• jeoren's Profile Photo

Schouwburgplein area: Pizza Hut: unlimited pizza's for 7/8 euro!

by jeoren Written Nov 26, 2005

Pizza Hut

If you are hungry and it's Monday or Tuesday in the evening, you have to go to the Pizza Hut at Schouwburgplein. During this evenings they serve unlimited pizza's for only 7or 8 euro per person! You can choose from a great diversity of pizzaslices, and they are delicious!

Favorite Dish: The 'sat?'-pizza with peanuts, ananas and cheese!

• sinicomajo's Profile Photo

Grand Palace: Dim Sum topper!

by sinicomajo Updated May 16, 2005

Chines restaurant Grand Palace - Not the ordinary Chinese-Indonesian menu, which is very common here in the Netherlands and nothing wrong with that by the way, but real Chinese food for a reasonable price. A spacious restaurant with well known Chinese interior, wich allways give me that peacefull, quiet, oriental feeling.

We only tried the various Dim Sum (mostly for 3,50 - 4,00 euro's) this time, but I am sure that I will come back again to try one of the main dishes. You can write down your order yourself on the paper they provide to you (otherwise ask for it) and this is very handy because of the huge choice of dim sums. A large pot of jasmine tea was served for free (we were with the three of us) and a beer only costs 1.85 euro's.

Service is reasonable, but can be more friendly. Some staff-members seem to work here for quiet a long time and they might think they have enough customers which probably is the case.

Favorite Dish: Some of my favorite dim sum that we tried:

Char siu mai
    Si tjap pei kwa
    Tsin fan kwo
    Wo tip kau
    Tja soi kau

Also try the small Chinese loempia's

• catnl's Profile Photo

Grand Palace: Chinese/Dim Sim food

by catnl Updated Mar 19, 2005

Grand Palace,  Rotterdam 18-3-2005

Nice chinese restaurant with Chinese staff, great food.
    Normal prices, menu is written in Dutch, English and Chinese.

Favorite Dish: During the meeting on March 18th. we all had different meals, Robin had bami, Steven had shrimps, Lenny ate spareribs in sweetsour sauce and i took thebeef with broccoli , we had beer accept for Lenny he liked the Chinese tea.
    He got a full pot!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Grand Palace, Dim Sum...: Grand Palace, Dim Sum...

by ATLC Updated Mar 5, 2004

Grand Palace, Dim Sum Restaurant
    There are several real Chinese restaurants closeby in the center of Rotterdam. About half or more diners at any time are Chinese people. It's cheap, you can make it last as long as you want, and it's original Chinese food.

Favorite Dish: Just name a price and ask them to prepare something! Drink Chinese tea with your meal, a large pot is only about 1.5 € !

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Near the shoppingcentre and at...

by sandravdp Written Sep 7, 2002

Near the shoppingcentre and at the little bars near the harbour are some good restaurants. I sure must mention the Chinese Dim Sum restaurant 'Grand Palace'. We ate there at the VT-meeting, august 10 2002. It was a tip of member ATLC. It's sure is a wonderful restaurant. You get much food for not so much money and the service is quick!

You can also find fastfood places like Mc Donalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Burger KIng here, if you are into that.

Favorite Dish: All dim sum specialties of the Chinese restaurant, but the sweet breads and shrimp dim sum were my favourites.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Chinese Dim Sum Restaurant Grand Palace: Chinese!!

by martin_nl Written Sep 2, 2002

Grand Palace logo

As part of the VT meeting we went here to have dinner. It started of a bit slow, but in no time we had waiters running to our table with a lot of excellent dishes. This restaurant is said to be the best Dim Sum restaurant of Rotterdam. I believe it, because we had a wonderful meal here!

Favorite Dish: I can't describe a favourite though, because I don't know exactly what the names of them were. However I highly recommend eating at this place.

• goingplaces's Profile Photo

For our dinner during the...

by goingplaces Written Aug 25, 2002

For our dinner during the meeting we ate at the Grand Palace Chinese Dim Sum Restaurant. It was crowded, especially after 20 of us showed up unannounced!
    Like many Chinese restaurants, you get a lot of food for a low price. Our table was piled high with food we weren't able to finish, and we each paid 15 Euros.

Favorite Dish: Most of the food was wonderful, but some of it was, shall we say, rubbery? ; )

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

(CLOSED) GRAND PALACE: Real Chinese food

by pieter_jan_v Updated Feb 25, 2012

Business card

The GRAND PALACE is the restaurant we went to at the August 10, 1992 VT-meeting.
    The secret Chinese '20 people - 20 servings' does the tric.

2012 Update: The restaurant closed early 2011

Favorite Dish: Everything

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Schouwburgplein: you have...

by irisbe Updated Aug 25, 2002

Schouwburgplein: you have different stands where you can buy snacks

Favorite Dish: we loved the sandwiches with the huge schrimps.
    They even served Hoegaarden :-)

Instant Answers: Rotterdam