WTC area, Rotterdam

4.5 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Very very famous spot!
    by Jerelis
  • My colleague Krysia is holding up a bag of fries.
    My colleague Krysia is holding up a bag...
    How about that?
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

Richard Visser's Gebakkraam: Best balls in Holland.

Very very famous spot!

I am not always a big fan of the holiday season. Not that I don’t like holidays, but the concentration of both in just a few weeks in December is somewhat overdosed. Last year I visited Rotterdam for business in December and realized that there are light points in these dark times as well – like Richard Visser’s oliebollen. I passed the stand by accident when I was driving to a lunch room. Just a view at it made me park the car and walk straight back to the oliebollen.

Oliebollen (literally “oil balls”) are doughnuts, Dutch style. I am more of sweet snacker than a doughnut eater but Richard’s oliebollen are in a class of their own. Richard is a pastry chef, a doughnut maker, and a man with a mission – to make the best oliebollen possible. And in my opinion he succeeds in it. Richard Visser is probably the one person in the Netherlands who’s having the most exciting December month. At the end of December the results of the National Doughnut test are published in the AD newspaper. Having won the test 8 times, each year he is under the greatest pressure to deliver.

The doughnut stall is already open on the usual spot, at the crossroads of the Heemraadsingel and the Vierambachtsstraat. I have tested that year’s “oil balls” and as far as I’m concerned Richard Visser is the winner again – regardless of what the paper will say.

Valente: Espresso bar.

How about that?

I have a confession to make – I have a sweet tooth. My sweet tooth is a bit picky though as it only likes baked sweets – muffins, cookies, cakes, brownies, tortes, et cetera. If it’s sweet and it’s baked – bring it on! I also like cheese, so cheese cake is one of my favorite foods. The best cheesecake I’ve had so far was in a grandcafé in Paris (sorry, can’t remember the name of the place). Of all the reasons to go to the capital of France this is probably the most tasty one.

But I’m diverging – I live in Hoogeveen, do visit Rotterdam regularly for business, and I was writing about Valente Espresso (there are two branches – one in the quiet area of the Hoogstraat and another at Westplein 107). And about their home-made cheese cake. Not the same as the one in the grandcafé in Paris, but it saves me the trouble of flying to France every time I want a nice slice of cheese cake. And a good cup of latte to go with it.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Dudok: The mother of all lunchrooms.

Overview at Dudok.

About a year ago, when I had to go to Rotterdam for business, I had to visit a prospect at the World Trade Center at the Beursplein in Rotterdam. My contact suggested we meet at the Dudok, to discuss the details of the possible deal, and was rather surprised I didn’t know where or what the Dudok was. Nothing ever came out of the business deal with him, but I’ve remembered the Dudok since.

I am not very much into places you must visit, but I dare say you can’t leave Rotterdam without checking out the Dudok. It’s the Mother of All Lunchrooms (although they also serve breakfast and dinner). Fresh, clean, bright, Dudok is a great place to spend a couple of hours during the day, reading, relaxing and having a cup of coffee with the world-famous Dudok farmer’s cheese pie. The recipe is a well-kept secret, but I will try to make a version that will be fairly close to the original (hopefully).

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Bram Ladage: The best snack in townBram Ladage.

by Jerelis Written Dec 11, 2013
    My colleague Krysia is holding up a bag of fries.

For my former job I did visit the city of Rotterdam about 2 to 3 times a year. The first time I did visit the city I had a quick lunch at Bram Ladage and did like it very much. The next moment I visited Rotterdam together with my colleague I immediately had the intention to have her taste the fries of Bram to. Usually, I am not much of a fries eater, but for a “Brammetje”, as it’s nicknamed, I do make an exception. Because there’s fries and there’s Bram. Finally my colleague totally agreed with me!

As far as fries go, a Brammetje is as good as it gets. Made from freshly cut potatoes, fried in clear liquid vegetable oil, crispy and golden brown – it’s the taste of how fries should be in my opinion. Dutch style – with mayonnaise. Not the healthiest choice, I admit. But it makes the treat complete, and once in a while I feel I deserve a little slack. In a mood for a snack, but want to mind your cholesterol? Feel free to have a Brammetje. But please, don’t feed the pigeons! And beware of the Rotterdam seagulls – they are addicted to Bram fries and they’d kill to have some. I totally understand them.

• Business Travel

• Forze's Profile Photo

WTC area: Dudok

by Forze Updated Jul 18, 2003

Dudok

In 2002 Dudok won the price of best coffee in Holland. So if you like a good cup of coffee, pay a visit to Dudok. Be sure you take a piece of applepie as well, because it is delicious. You can take your breakfast, lunch or dinner as well here. The only bad thing is that it can take quite a while to be served because of its popularity. But your patience will be awarded for granted.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

La Borsa: La Borsa, Italian restaurant

by ATLC Updated Mar 2, 2003

A very plain-looking restaurant just in front of ABN-AMRO bank, but it's run by real Italians and as said: the tomato soup is heavenly!

Favorite Dish: Crema di Pomodori (tomato soup)... smooth, velvety, garlicky... big bowl with a basket of fresh bread and garlic butter. A cheap and perfect lunch which I have eaten regularly between work hours over the last 6 years.

• Business Travel

• Raoul: Great Pancakes!!!

by JoeDeepSeaDiver Updated Oct 23, 2002

If you are looking for some great Dutch food in downtown Rotterdam, I think this place is a must! If nothing else, the service there is the best I've seen since the employees are very friendly. They serve great pancakes, but of course some delicious sandwhiches too.

• joecooper's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Ristorante Colosseo

by joecooper Written Aug 25, 2002

Pizzeria Ristorante Colosseo
    Cheap prices but good food. Not luxury or clinical hygeine, but I don't care!

Favorite Dish: Macaroni Carbonara