Speciality food shops, Rotterdam

Know about this? Rate It!

Chinese bakery, Rotterdam

Kruiskade area: Fresh hot Surinamese black pudding and tripe

by ATLC Updated Apr 4, 2011

West-Kruiskade, Rotterdam

It's not a shop but a stand, only on Saturdays on the West-Kruiskade. The stand sells fresh Surinamese black pudding, hot sausage, and tripes (gut). All hot and sold as a snack with 'sambal', a very VERY spicy chili paste.

This stand seems very popular but they are only on the street on Saturday. The sign stated black pudding and meat sausage (in Dutch) and two Surinamese words Fladder (intestines or stomach) and Beré (pig gut). I asked to taste the gut (photo 2), which has a soft, fatty consistency and tasted nice coming out of the stock with a faint tripe flavour.

The fladder I did not taste, it is a darker 'meat' attached to the gut.

What to buy: I must say the black pudding was delicious. I have eaten it often in UK and France and of course in my own country. This Surinamese version has different spices.

What to pay: I paid € 3,50 for a small portion of black pudding.

Butcher Thijs van de Kieboom: Organic butcher

by ATLC Written Jun 25, 2010

This butcher has the best of organic meat from many countries, including of course The Netherlands.
    I visit once a month to stock up on pork fillet, lovely lamb, or more 'ordinary' stuff like sausages, mince meat and chops.
    It really tastes way better than other meat.

What to pay: Considerably more than for regular produced meat.

• Eco-Tourism

Little Italy: Italian specialities

by ATLC Written Jun 20, 2010

This is a little, off-the-main-road supermarket with only Italian products. Not too fancy, which I like. People there are really helpful. I asked for wine advice and then was pointed towards someon else to help me choose cheeses and pasta. They're not about to pull your leg, as they pointed me to a special offer of pasta rather than buying something more expensive.
    I asked for specific products from Florence, which I got too. The woman proudly said she came from that region and that I wasn't to buy 'that' biscuit, but rather another! She pointed towards a label with a nice city view on it and proudly said: that's my town!

Fresh pizza's are also sold there and I've seen from other reviews that they are good value for money.

My Italian dinner for 9 went very well and was well pleased with the quality of the products.

What to buy: There's a big chees and sausage/ham counter. Also wine, fresh and dried pasta's, delicacies (olives, grilled vegetables and such). Many other Italian supermarket items.

What to pay: A bit more than in a general supermarket. I paid 81 euro for 7 bottles of wine, loads of pasta, various biscuits and sweets, Italian bread, tinned tomatoes, coffee, special cheeses, and a handful of other grocery items.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

De Kaashoeve: Say Cheese

by pieter_jan_v Written Aug 9, 2009

De Kaashoeve - Rotterdam

De Kaashoeve is a cheese specialitiy shop.

There is a wide variaty of cheeses and related products.

Staff is friendly and knowledgable.

What to buy: Cheese!

What to pay: Slightly higher prices than in the supermarkets, but the selection is much bigger!

• Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

Anny's: Chinese bakery

by ATLC Updated Sep 7, 2008

Chinese bakery, Rotterdam

I always enjoy a visit to this Chinese bakery. Spacious, clean and with a big variety of savoury and sweet pastries.
    Unfortunately I have never made a photo of all the delightful products from this shop. Remind me for next time!

What to buy: My favourite snack is the white bun Cha Sieuw. The white bread is quite sweet (but not sugary) and slightly sticky with a brown crust, filled with savoury/sweet pork. Very satisfying.
    I also enjoy the pastries filled with red beans (very sweet) and the featherlight, quite artificially coloured 'angel cake' like cakes.

What to pay: You pay € 1 for each pastry, or € 10 for 12 (whatever you choose).

Kazaguruma: Japanese groceries

by ATLC Written Jan 19, 2008

A tiny shop filled with canned, boxed, cooled and frozen Japanese foods. I've been here different times. Not all of the people that work there speak Dutch well, so sometimes it's a bit of a struggle.

What to buy: Japanese pepper mix € 1,95
    Dried seaweed salad € 3,50
    Dried seaweed € 2,50
    Green tea ice cream powder € 2,95

Slagerij Munnikhuis: Best butcher in town is gone

by ATLC Updated Jan 19, 2008

I'll keep this tip for historical reasons. Unfortunately the butcher does not exist anymore. So sad to see really good knowledgeable shops go!

This butcher has been here for over 90 years. Because of the many customers being working people, this butcher has many ready made and half prepared products which he all makes himself. You'll often smell wonderful cooking smells here: hearty soups, grilled hams, sausage rolls, stewed beef, vegs and mash, lasagna.....
    One day I came in and he said: here, taste this... and he scooped some soup from the pan in a chipped flowered cup.
    This butcher is 35 km. from my hometown but I often popped in after work or during lunch time to take home some goodies.

First written Oct. 4, 2002

What to buy: I love the mushroom soup (home made from the freezer), the butcher can always tell you about the meat, what you need to do and where it comes from.
    I bought some beef stew the other day which was very good.
    It's just enjoyable to meet an experienced, knowledgeable butcher who goes along with modern times without losing the old-fashioned sense of quality and craftmanship.

Instant Answers: Rotterdam