Rotterdam Tourist Traps

by mafootje

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Rotterdam

• Rotterdam - Not save to tourist

by salzainna Written Oct 17, 2009

I was mugged at Blaak market. I arrived on monday and had a tour in Amsterdam. I was on a business trip and took the opportunity to sightseeing. In the afternoon I took a train to Rotterdam. Everthing was so wonderful. People of Rotterdam was friendly and I didn't have trouble to get to my destination. Even the bus driver was good. The next morning I was at Blaak Market as I was told the price was affordable for shopping. I was shopping for some clothes when somebody bumped at me and steal my camera from my pocket. I could feel it but when i search around nobody was running. I tried to get help from the shop owner but she just showed me her sympathetic face. I sat and cried for felling helpless. I went to get halp from the police there but he told me to make a police report. I felt like I am dreaming a nightmare. the other policeman was busy chit chatting to his friends while the other was telling me the way to the police station. I told him that I am a tourist and I didn't know the way. He just keep on telling me the way. Finally I went alone and tried finding the police station. When I arrived there, the police woman told me that it was their lunch time and there is nobody to take my report. She asked me to wait for an hour which I can't cause I have a business meeting. I told her that I shall leave my contact number and hotel if they found the theif. She agian told me to come again later to make a police report. I told her I am not local and It is difficult for me to find police station. She was so crazy to ask me to find a police station. How can I, I am a woman and alone at that time. Finally I went back to the hotel then attended two business meeting. Then again I went to the police station to make a report. I went to make the police report to ensure that the police must be aware that there are pickpocket and distrubing the tourist. I was so horrified to understand the police unconcern manner. It was not safe. The people in Rotterdam looks friendly but when we are in troubled they couldn't care less. FOr them it is usual to see a tourist in distress. MOST OF ALL THE POLICE ARE AT LUNCH AND TOURIST MUST FIND WAY TO ENTERTAIN THE POLICE WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

Unique Suggestions: Be always on guard, never let your guard down. Be always cautious! It is not save even people are frinedly around you.

• Women's Travel

• Valeggua's Profile Photo

Parking in Rotterdam- not easy and expensive

by Valeggua Written Sep 6, 2006

When you decide to come to Rotterdam by car, or rent a car, you have to be aware that you have to pay for parking in entire citycentre. You can only do this by Chipknip (only the locals with a dutch bank account) or by creditcard.

Unique Suggestions: Alternative is to find a parking garage, but you'll pay 2 Euro per hour.

Fun Alternatives: A better alternative is to find P+R places where you can leave your car for free and travel to the centre by public transport (tip: subway Kralingse Zoom)

• Imbi's Profile Photo

What art ?

by Imbi Written May 19, 2004

It was called a work of art and after very long brainstorming I found out that this piece of so called art is a seated woman. You could see that if you take left from Central Station. Why did not they make a simple statue of woman sitting?????????

• Forze's Profile Photo

Watch out for people claiming to be policemen

by Forze Written Jul 18, 2003

Although it almost never happens, some people stop tourists claiming to be policemen. When searching luggage they steal assets or money. Be careful and ask a policeman for his ID when he stops you. If he refuses he is not an honest policeman, as he is obliged to show his ID.

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Only change money at official...

by sandravdp Written Sep 7, 2002

Only change money at official changing points, like the GWK change office. You can find it in the station.
    The station is very busy so sometimes it's a bit hard to find your way. Carefully look at the signs above your head.

• Kozzmozz's Profile Photo

As a real 'Rotterdammer' I...

by Kozzmozz Written Aug 25, 2002

As a real 'Rotterdammer' I have to admit there aren't real tourist traps in this city....Maybe I have to warn you all for eating at the 'Stadhuisplein', because the food isn't okay at all. For going out in the weekend, the 'Stadhuisplein' might be okay, even it isn't my favo place. But don't eat here !!!

• mafootje's Profile Photo

When traveling to Rotterdam...

by mafootje Written Aug 25, 2002

When traveling to Rotterdam when
    there's a parade or another event the city centre can be closed for parts of the
    day. So it could be smart to par your car just outside the city centre and us a
    public transportation. Else you could end up waiting for activities to end
    before you can go home.

• goingplaces's Profile Photo

Rotterdam is home to some very...

by goingplaces Written Aug 25, 2002

Rotterdam is home to some very neat-looking cubic houses. They're interesting to look at, and some are even open to the public. The problem with this is, you have to pay to look around. I'm a sucker for that, and forked out Euro 1.75 to walk around 3 stories of living space. I was surprised to find that the house was 3 stories, but not at all surprised that tall people would probably not want to live in these houses.

Instant Answers: Rotterdam

Comments

Rotterdam Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Rotterdam tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rotterdam sightseeing.