Rotterdam Warnings and Dangers

Gave This One A Miss!
    by johngayton
  • "left!", "no, other side", "what are you...
    by Jerelis
    My 2009 escort
    by pieter_jan_v

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Do drink enough.

by Jerelis Written Jun 28, 2013
    You really need it!

For years, we have all been told of the importance of water. The general guideline has been to drink 2 liter of water each day. For a person who is not living an active lifestyle this may be enough, but if you are physically active, you need more water than that. That is especially true if you are hiking in the Alkmaar area due to the fact the average temperature is much higher than other areas and the city lanes with its historical houses and bridges will go up and down.

Water is essential for everyone, especially if you are hiking. Water helps almost every part of the human body function properly. Our bodies are almost two-thirds water, and proper hydration is essential to keep your body functioning properly during the hike. Some of the things water does in the body are:
    * The brain is 75% water; even moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness;
    * Water regulates body temperature, which is especially important here in the area where the temperatures can be so brutal;
    * Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
    * Blood is 92% water;
    * Water protects and cushions vital organs;
    ·* Water converts food into energy (which is something you will need on a 3 to 4 hour hike…);
    * Muscles are 75% water, and you will use many muscles on a trail as you climb above the desert floor.

• Hiking and Walking

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Reading a map.

by Jerelis Written Jun 28, 2013

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, the catchy title of the 1992 bestseller by John Gray, succinctly expresses an ancient dilemma. What--if anything--do men's and women's brains do differently?

The general statement that men and women respond and behave differently under the same circumstances is true; For example, from the crib, male babies tend to be more aggressive and females more passive. As adults, in spatial operations, men have the edge in such skills as negotiating a maze, reading a map, and quickly discriminating between right and left. Men also perform better than women when asked to visualize an object and imagine rotating it. On the other hand, women tend to perform better than men when asked to look at objects of different shapes, sizes, and colors, and then to group them in some order.

This still doesn't explain why Paulien turns the map all around when I'm asking for the road to travel, while I like the map at one point so I can better visualize our position. Help!

• Motorcycle

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Not Really A Warning or Danger...

by johngayton Written Nov 14, 2010

Gave This One A Miss!

...just an observation.

This is a trendy-looking place on the riverside heading towards the Erasmus bridge. But a bar called "Water" - definitely not a John pub!!

As a major digression there's a restaurant in Copenhagen called "Salt" - now that's a place I fancy visiting. Nothing like a bit of salt to work up a thirst, and I don't mean for water LOL ;))

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

• X-medea-X's Profile Photo

Rotterdam is quite safe now

by X-medea-X Updated Jan 17, 2009

This actually used to be a warning for visitors, that Rotterdam wasn't that safe. This was a couple of years ago and now Rotterdam has become a lot safer. You can pretty much go anywhere in daytime and even at night, most places are safe (although I wouldn't recommend anyone to go wandering around alone at night if you don't know your way around).

But still, here are some tips to make your stay as pleasant as possible: if you see any large groups of people, especially young people at night, don't look them in the eye. There isn't any rule about looking people in the eye, but if you just ignore them, they will probably ignore you. Most groups are harmless, just (grown-up) kids trying to impress each other by shouting 'funny' comments.

If there's a soccer match, try to avoid large groups of drunk supporters. They could get violent, especially when it's late at night and their team has lost. You will know there's a risky match when all the shops have covered their windows. Usually, risky matches are Feijenoord - Ajax, Netherlands - England and Netherlands - Germany.

Try not to look too touristy. Usually you can spot tourists from a mile off because they wear their backpacks in front of them, carry a small bag around their neck or waist with all their money and important documents (which makes it easy for people to know what to steal) and carry a lot of camera equipment around their necks. Just try to look normal and look like you know your way around, even if you don't. Keep your backpack where it's supposed to be and put your camera equipment in a bag when you're not using it.

Don't trust people telling sad stories. It's either a scam or a trick to find out where you keep your money and how much you're carrying. Beware of people around central station asking you for a couple of euro's to take the train. Just tell people with funny stories to go to the police to ask for help and tell them you don't have any money on you. Also don't give money to beggars. Homeless people are reasonably well taken care of here. You can trust people selling the "Straatkrant" or "Straatnieuws" (Street Paper), which is a news paper written by homeless people. They buy the papers for half the price they sell them for and in this way they can rebuild their life - all people who sell the straatkrant have a permit and they're not allowed to do drugs or alcohol.

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Bikes on the street

by ealgisi Written Apr 9, 2008

In Holland roads bikes have the right on everybody and everything, usually they run on dedicated places at the side of roads, but it can happen that you find them on normal roads, specially in city center, so pay attention and watch carefully.

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Road speedometer

by ealgisi Written Apr 9, 2008

Pay attention while driving your car on the road.
    There are many speedometers ready to shot a picture of your license plates and give you a ticket. So read the road signs about speed limits.

Speedometers are also well signaled.

• Valeggua's Profile Photo

Nightlife Bouncers

by Valeggua Updated Oct 31, 2007

Behave!

Almost every café/bar/discotheke in the city has it's bouncers.
    Warning: some of them are very frustrated BIG guys.

So please be aware of:

1. the dresscodes (most spots no sneakers)
    2. Taking your ID
    3. And off course, behave! Dutch girls will have security drag you out if they feel bothered :P

• sachara's Profile Photo

Watch your step

by sachara Updated Nov 12, 2006

the ambulance

When I visited Rotterdam in July 2006, I walked at the Leuvehoofd near the Rotterdam City Beach and Erasmus Bridge. And I was making lots of pictures of course. I went down the steps to have a better look at the bridge and a close look at the memorial for the died crew members of the Merchant Shipping Service during the world war II.

I went down carefully, but then suddenly something happened at the last step. Either it was slippery or I didn´t notice it properly. Suddenly I slipped away and fell down in front of the ´monument voor de gevallenen´(monument for the fallen people). Coincidence of not ?

When I lifted my head it was bleeding heavily. My hands, hair, shirt, jeans, bag .... everywhere I saw blood while I didn´t realise exactly where it was coming from. The people of the Rotterdam City Beach brought towels and called the ambulance. Luckily they could help me at the spot, fixing my left eyebrow.

After cleaning my hair, head and clothes in the bathroom at the Rotterdam City Beach and having a free cup of coffee (thanks folks, for your help and support !) we continue our day with a relaxed Spido boattrip instead of a planned long city walk... though I needed packets of tissues to absorb the still dripping blood for the next hours.

And what did I learn from this rather small accident ... welll, not to look at stunning views or taking pictures at the same time I move forward or walk on stairs.

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by didgeridorien Written Oct 3, 2006

As any big city, Rotterdam knows a lot of petty thieves. So hold on to your bags and don't put your wallet somewhere you can't see or feel. I've never been robbed, but it's better to prevent it from happening.

• Useless Umbrellas

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 15, 2006

Broken Brolly

The day we were in Rotterdam the rain was coming down in stair rods (straight and hard!) - combine that with the strong winds and you will soon find that your umbrella is useless! Not exactly the weather to go sight-seeing!

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Alcohol and Movies

by Rixie Updated Dec 31, 2005

This isn't really a warning; it's more of a heads-up about a cultural difference that we, as Americans, experienced.

Whenever we travel, we try to go to a cinema, so while we were in Rotterdam, we saw "Murder By Numbers," starring Sandra Bullock. We sat in front of the most annoying, obstreperous young people I've ever encountered in a movie theater. They laughed and talked loudly through the whole film (maybe because they were reading the Dutch subtitles and didn't have to listen), and the guy behind me kept kicking the back of my seat. I hoped that an usher or some theater official would come in and tell them to settle down, but no one did.

As in Belgium, you're allowed to bring in beer and wine, which kept the the loud patrons well-oiled, and every now and then a bottle would go rolling down under the seats. Alcohol is not permitted in American cinemas, so this seemed very strange to us.

We also experienced a Dutch interval, which is weird when you're watching an American film that isn't shot with that in mind. They simply stop the film at a random place, post PAUSE on the screen, and everyone goes outside for 15 minutes to have a smoke and a drink.

• chess_machine's Profile Photo

Dangerous city?

by chess_machine Updated Dec 10, 2005

I never had any problem in Rotterdam in six months, probably since I spent many time in the student residence or the bar in front of it... ;)

Though it is said to be a dangerous. Two of my friends who studied in Rotterdam too went out for a drink on their second night in Rotterdam, took their car and got followed by two other cars. They freaked out as hell and decided not to take the car anymore.

Since Rotterdam is a big spot for drug traffic, you should be quite careful. Not over careful, just aware that when you go out of the main places it may be not that safe.

• The Clipper Hostel - don't go there

by Mariajoy Updated Nov 4, 2005

Took this one from a Dutch Hostel website

We booked this hostel on line - I did try by phone initially but the guy said they only take internet bookings. So we paid our deposit and turned up after a long walk across the city in the rain only to find when we got there a virtually derelict boat totally unlike the pictures! - ok I know everywhere looks better in the sunshine and we were there on the worst day of the year weatherwise - but it really was awful - we knocked on the door several times but no answer - just a dog barking on the other side. I could see through the windows unemptied ashtrays and unmade bunks and I really found it difficult to believe that this boat could actually be described as *accommodation* even if it was cheap. We decided there and then that we would find an alternative - even if it did mean another 2.5 hours wandering around in the rain! I am still awaiting a reply to my email regarding a refund of my deposit!

Believe me - this hostel looks NOTHING like this photo - which is how it appears on the many Rotterdam hostel pages.

Scheepmakershaven, Across Number 26, Rotterdam. This is the address - but even if you find it, and have made a booking and paid a deposit - theres no guarantee you will get a bed!

• 50c for the Loo!

by Mariajoy Written Oct 31, 2005

Dodgy door

The little cafe we stopped to have coffee in had a unisex loo - just put your 50c in the slot and in you go - if you are lucky - otherwise go to the girl behind the counter and tell her the door doesn't open and she will hopefully give you another coin. I saw this happen to most of the customers using the loo here!

• swetluska's Profile Photo

Not so safe street

by swetluska Written Jun 23, 2005

Especially when you are a woman, try to avoid Claes de Vrieselaan even at day time (of course, if you are not living there as my poor friend did!)...and DO NOT go there during the night! Another not so safe is Middelland str.

Instant Answers: Rotterdam

Comments

Rotterdam Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Rotterdam warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rotterdam sightseeing.