Rotterdam Warnings and Dangers

Gave This One A Miss!
    by johngayton
  • "left!", "no, other side", "what are you...
    by Jerelis
    Keep it cozy (and quiet) - Rotterdam
    by pieter_jan_v

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam

• 50c for the Loo!

by Mariajoy Written Oct 31, 2005

The little cafe we stopped to have coffee in had a unisex loo - just put your 50c in the slot and in you go - if you are lucky - otherwise go to the girl behind the counter and tell her the door doesn't open and she will hopefully give you another coin. I saw this happen to most of the customers using the loo here!

Dodgy door

Not so safe street

by swetluska Written Jun 23, 2005

Especially when you are a woman, try to avoid Claes de Vrieselaan even at day time (of course, if you are not living there as my poor friend did!)...and DO NOT go there during the night! Another not so safe is Middelland str.

• swetluska's Profile Photo

Buying a bike from a junkie?

by swetluska Updated Apr 8, 2005

New bike in a shop you can get for 200 euros and it would be probably stolen in two days. That's why many students and also many people buy bikes from junkies (you can get it around 10 - 12 euros). These bikes were stolen already, everyone knows but noone cares, because that's life, your bike would be stolen one day also .
    But be careful and don't buy a bike in the centre of the town, because some policemen go there, trying to look like junkies and trying to sell you a bike. If you do that, you will get a nice trip to the jail.

Dangerous area of Rotterdam

by swetluska Updated Apr 8, 2005

Rotterdam is divided by river into two parts, the south one is said to be dangerous, some shooting, strange people and all that stuff. I was warned not to go there even before I left my country and after my arrival here also many native Dutch people confirmed that information. Nothing to say from my practical experience - I haven't tried to find out if it's true or not :-)

• Rwafish's Profile Photo

Wanderers Beware

by Rwafish Written Mar 25, 2005

Rotterdam as any major City has a large drug problem, be careful when walking around the outskirts of the city especially in Zuid plein and surrounding areas-there can be muggers around.

Also it is easy to get lost in Holland as the land is so flat it is sometimes difficult to get your bearings and easy to find yourself wandering aimlessly.. Use metro stations as bearings as you can always get back to a friendlier place if you need to.

• Women's Travel

• catnl's Profile Photo

Be carefull...dangerous wrong coke!

by catnl Updated Mar 18, 2005

Be very carefull when u buy drugs, just buy them in stores not from people on the street.
    This week i stayed in Rotterdam overnight because of the Dali exhibition and around 23.00 pm there was a lot of noise coming from the floor below.First a lot of shouting then an awefull sound of someone smashing stuff and breaking glass...
    Seems the guy had sniffed coke which had synthetic ingredients in it.
    He went totally crazy and smashed the whole hotelroom and he destroyed a beautifull glass cabinet on the first floor as well.
    Meanwhile the woman who was with him was running to the recption naked, terrified of him she had left the room without anything..
    Glass everywhere on the floor and stairs ...after that he when to the entrance totally naked and went on the street.
    The police came and took the man with them and other policemen searched the room and made notes offcourse.
    The guy who had nightshift was shaking and so was i, could'nt sleep untill 3 in the morning

so please be very carefull, u might hurt urself and other people!

Rotterdam 17-3-2005
    • Work Abroad
    • School Holidays

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Party poopers.......

by mafootje Written Aug 15, 2004

That's a nice way to call them....Rotterdam events sometimes have isolated fights between the visitors and the peoples... I don't know if it's the alcohol or just fighting by a little group for "entertainment". This year during the FFWD danceparade there was an incident like this.

We noticed bottles flying around and a lot of ME (Mobiele Eenheid = Mobile Unit) of the police. After a while the ME decided to charge the attackers, they where throwing stones among other things.

They chased them right into the party crowd causing a short panic of people trying not to be hit by the ME.

If you ever see a situation like this just go to a place where your not in the way of the Hooligans and the Police certainly if you are with children. I don't believe there where serious injuries but that's more luck then wishdom. I saw people with there kids on their neck right in the fire line just to give them a good look.... I just call that stupid, don't want to think of the results when a bottle or a stone hits the kid..

ME during FFWD 2004
    • Festivals
    • Music

• Imbi's Profile Photo

€ 27

by Imbi Written May 19, 2004

€ 27
    Yes this is the amount you pay if you don’t have a valid ticket, whilst using public transport in Rotterdam. There are good links of public transport in Rotterdam and most of the tram and buses are very frequent. Ticket could be bought at the public transport for some extra charge.

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Parking

by Imbi Written May 19, 2004

Like any other big or expending town or city, Rotterdam have also parking problems. It is highly recommended not to drive into city centre otherwise you could waste plenty of time, looking for parking space. One thing I like that you can pay almost everywhere using your credit card.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Winter time

by nighthawk Written May 3, 2004

In the so called 'Kop van Zuid' (Head of the south or something) is a bridge and you can find this funny warning sign there.
    It warns to be aware of falling ice in case bridge opens, so protective headwear needed!

Warning sign Rotterdam

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Angry Baseball-player

by aukjejetty Updated Jan 11, 2004

Don't let this scare you!

I saw this man hitting this car and knocking out three windows on a noisy Sunday evening in my street. When I called 112 [the dutch number for 911] I was told that there were already a lot of police on their way. In several minutes the street was filled with policemen and dogs.

I was able to take some photos of this man through my window. I never found out what happened, but I know that a group of kids that hang around all the time threw a stone through this man's snackbar window. Maybe they did more to upset this man so bad, but I only have a photo of the angry result.

My neighbourhood is not a bad one, compared to some neighbourhoods south and west of the city. There are some neighbourhoods in Rotterdam that are not pleasant after dark, if you want to check out other neighbourhoods, for example south of the Maas, ask some advice from locals, and go during day-time.

Angry Man

• I need money to get to the embassy scam

by wingbat Written Nov 29, 2003

Don't fall for this one,

I was advised by a relation who works in Holland about some guy who said he was british and needed 10 euros to get to the embassy. Being a soft touch my relation handed over some cash. 3 Weeks later the same guy approached him with the same story.

I was in Rotterdam in september and we had the same story. No doubt the same guy. Accent seemed more German than dutch, or a very badly put on british accent. I swiftly translated into Dutch and German a sharpe "On Your Bike Pal!" and he eventually got the idea.

He seems to operate in the area leading upto the centraal station. So keep ya eyes and ears open for this scammer No doubt I'll see him on my next visit to Rotterdam!

• Forze's Profile Photo

Safe but stay precautious

by Forze Written Jul 18, 2003

Rotterdam is quite a safe town compared to large cities in other countries. There are some areas that are less safe in the night like Marconiplein and Spangen. Also parks should better be avoided during nights. Of course if you are at the wrong place in the wrong time you have bad luck, but you can safely walk in the center in the night.

Just be careful: don’t trust someone immediately, if someone stops you claiming he is a policeman ask for his ID, keep your wallet safely (pickpocketing is not uncommon) and don’t put all your eggs in one basket (keep money in several places). If you are unfortunate to be robbed, better to give your wallet with only a few euros.

• Heinisuo's Profile Photo

Stay awake near the central railway station

by Heinisuo Written Apr 14, 2003

I don't know if it's just me (and my paranoia), but something told me to watch out outside the central railway station.
    As I got out from the central railway station, there was guy coming to shake my hand and saying something, which I didn't undestand. When I just answered him something in English he walked away. After a while, there was another guy asking that if I need something and that he is willing to help me if I need to do some business. I didn't want to know what the business would have been... just walked away as "smoothly" as I could from that situation, since there was some other "strange" guys also nearby.

...so if you are leaving or entering the central railway station, I think you should watch yourself and your belonings a little bit.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

VT meeting Rotterdam 2002

by ATLC Updated Mar 2, 2003

On Saturday August 10th, 2002, you will see a herd of VT members trudge through Rotterdam. Do not get in their way or try to attract their attention. They'll make you addicted to VT and you'll never get outside the house ever again. They might look normal but definitely are not!

Go to the Travelogue for more!

ROTTERDAM ATLC FALLS IN OUDE HAVEN?
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Rotterdam

Comments

Rotterdam Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Rotterdam warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rotterdam sightseeing.