Originally there were 40 mills that regulated the waterlevel in this region.The bearing of the sails of the mills often indicated if there was a cheerful or a sad occasion. This "mill-language" was different from region to region.This mill was built in the 16th century. It drained the water from the polders "Boenderpas/Bonrepas" and North-Zevender....more
A statue of the first and manually powered mechanical tool for the production of paint and varnish, from the end of the 19th century.Given to the town of Schoonhoven by the Hasco varnish factory during its 100th anniversary in 1988.The Potmolen statue is close to the city gate "Veerpoort" and not far from the ferry boat.more
Close to the ferry boat of Schoonhoven, the only remaining city gate (of five) of Schoonhoven, once a fortified town, can be found.It was built in 1601 during the modifications of the fortifications. The room above the gate was used as a house and for a while even as a ward.more
Close to the ferry boat of Schoonhoven and next to the city gate "Veerpoort" is the statue of Olivier van Noort. He was the first one to sail with a Dutch fleet around the world from 1596 to 1601.Olivier van Noort was buried in the St Bartholomeus Church in Schoonhoven.The statue was reveiled by Pleun van der Lugt, who was the first Dutchman to...more
A visit to Schoonhoven can be combined with a 14 km long (3 to 3.5 hour) and marked hike along a small river and through pasture. This hike includes the beautiful mill Bonrepas, the villages and churches of Polsbroek and Cabauw, and includes an old path used by churchgoers. There are beautiful old (and new) houses and farms along the route.The hike...more
This Watertower was built in 1901 to put pressure on the first waterworks of Schoonhoven. It was designed by the architect F.A. de Jongh, who also designed the watertowers in Zwijndrecht and Nijkerk. The tower is 50 m high and has a capacity of 150 m3.The Watertower now houses a silver gallery and the workshops of three silversmiths.Opening times...more
The museum is housed in the old Monastery of St Elisabeth. In 1627 an arsenal was built here, and the building was a school and warehouse from 1826-1862. In 1862 is was renovated and used as barracks. The garisson left in 1966 and the building houses a museuim since 1978.Open: Tuesday-Sunday from 12.00-17.00.Entrance fee: 5 euro, free for children...more
The present building of De Waag was built in 1617, but the weigh-house originates already from the 14th century.Has been used in the past as a weigh-house to weigh primarily hemp (The Dutch apparently already had an open-minded drug policy centuries ago!).Now, there is a bar/restaurant in this monumental building.more
The townhall was built in 1452 and has been restored in 1775 and 1927-1929. The carillon was manufactured by A.J. van der Gheyn (Leuven, Belgium) in 1775 and was upgraded from 37 to 50 bells in 1963. The town hall also houses the tourist information office (VVV).more
This STICHTING is located in the WATER-TOWER and is the center of CONTEMPORARY SILVER WORK IN THE NETHERLANDS Of course it is exciting and surprising to visit this GALLERY.It is also possible to enjoy A VIDEO PRESENTATION on THE ART OF SILVER.... For more info: visit the VVV, the TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE...Stadhuisstraat 1, 2871 BR...more
This museum shows the history of the DUTCH (paper) CUTTING from 1650 till the present day!For guided tours and demonstrations you have to make reservations in advance, which is understandable.Do so.....it is so rewarding and add so much to the experience..... OPEN: Tuesday through Sunday noon - 5PM (reservations for other times can be made.... just...more
In this GALERIJ is the largest private collection of "DRIE EEUWEN ANTIEK SCHOONHOVEN ZILVER" (3 Centuries of antique SILVER from Schoonhoven) to be admired.... OPEN: Tuesday through Saturday from 10AM - 5 PM During the summer season also on MONDAYS from 1.30PM - 5PM For groups of at least 20 persons there is the possibility of guided tours,...more
The HIGHLIGHTS of this collection is the work of designer / painter / master SAM SCHELLINK .Of course he had to work according to order (at his work) but he also was an extremely creative painter once he was home again.....he must have enjoyed his weekends off and his vacations...He lived from 1876 - 1958.The museum shows us his paintings,...more
Here an exclusive collection of DUTCH gold and silver is housed, dating back to the 17th Century.You can see very old sliversmiths' workshops and e.g. a very atmospheric interior of a jeweler's shop dating from 1920.There is also a UNIQUE collection / presentation of HALL MARKS ....there even are some FRAUD HALL MARKS.....You will get a...more
Who knew broiled goat cheese on brown bread over mixed greens could be so delicious ad so filling? And that was just the starter! The serene surroundings and views of the gardens added to the enjoyment of the food and company.
Just off the main square in this lovely village we discovered a "DUMP" shop. In the States, we call them second hand stores. All kinds of collectibles, paitings, jugs, mugs, glassware, nicknacks, delft, pottery. etc. you get the picture. There are several around town. The second "Dump"shop is only a few steps from the silver museum. we were in Holland for a month and got most of our souveniers there.
What to buy: all items were really nice. Everything is in these shops from antiques to little nick nacks that you never knew existed.
What to pay: from 25 cents to 5 euros